Explore & discover

Helpful Links

How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for several hours? Must select "OK to continue watching.

Tutor

How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for several hours? Must select "OK to continue watching.

How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for several hours?  Must select "OK to continue watching.

Message 1 of 43
ACE - Expert

Re: How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for s

@ArdeeGA wrote:

Nope, neither skeeter nor I work for AT&T. But thanks for the points towards our next set of steak knives.

Wow. It took me a year to find out what's wrong with the cable service; what a waste of time. What non-compassionate people here. Moving on...

WHAT would you like for us to do? 

We told you the truth about how the STB works and obviously you didn't like the answer.  I don't know what you expected.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 43
Expert

Re: How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for s

@ArdeeGA wrote:

Woowww... I can't BELIEVE this isn't controllable!!! am the caregiver for my 90-year-old parents (they don't want to move from where they are) and my daughter, who lives with my husband and can't move from where they are; three hours away. My life is too complicated already!!!! My husband and I have been fiddling with the remote and the boxes trying to figure out how to turn the sleep mode off every time I'm in town. When I leave my daughter at the hospital and come to the house to try and sleep, I need TV background noise. As soon as the TV turns off, I wake up. It seems to happen evey 4 fours or less! I grew up in a house of pandemon and I must have TV noise! If we are the ones who buy the service, shouldn't WE have control over it??? Grrrrrr...

Do ya know there is an OK button on the STB (and DVR)?  Center one is the OK button that can be pushed to turn it on again.

Reminds me of when I was in W Fee Hall at Michigan State University, there was a rail line next to the dorm.  Every nite around 2am a freight train came by blaring the horn at the Hagadorn RD crossing next to the dorm.

After about a week, I started sleeping through the train passage, but when it didn't come I'd wake up around 2:15 am.  Didn't know why till I talked w/other guys who were up then, the train did not come that early morning. Smiley Surprised

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 32 of 43
Contributor

I have the same issue. Never had it with cable. They must be trying to save bandwidth instead of upgrading their system. Rather than everyone talking about ways to jury rig a solution it seems pretty clear. If attached does not want to change their system, then change providers. All the competitors will bend over backwards to give you a better deal and the service is no different.

Too bad AT&T is not smart enough or care enough to just fix the issue.
Message 33 of 43
ACE - Expert

Out of the 6M+ U-verse TV subscribers, less than 100 have logged on here and complained about the 8 hour timeout.  Few companies make feature decisions on their product that 0.0017% of the customers are interested in.

Really, if this is a show stopper for, then you'll have to move on.  Enjoy your new provider's perfection.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 43
Contributor

I am a bit shocked that this thread has minimized the effect of this "feature" without thinking about the commercial affect this has had. I would agree that few companies make feature decisions based on 0.0017% of their customers complaints but what you are overlooking is that this "feature" prevents 100% of Audio/Video installation companies from being able to use U-verse as input sources for multi display deployments in commercial settings. All of the other carriers either have commercial set top boxes or adjustable feature sets to capture a piece of a very large market. Nothing against the people who want to sleep with their TV on but ATT is throwing away money on this one. I have to rip out 10-20 U-Verse set-top boxes out of one closet every so often because of amateur AV installers that haven't figured out the ramifications of this "feature".

Message 35 of 43
Contributor

What many on this thread seem to miss is, this is an easy fix for AT&T. It's about letting the users choose the way they want to watch the system, not AT&T deciding that their one solution of a 2 hours sleep time is the one solution for all. The same thing for car companies that disable navigation system controls though you may have a passenger who can operate the navigation system.

One size fits all is exactly NOT that.

Message 36 of 43
Contributor

Only if you fall asleep very soon after hitting a button on the remote.  If it takes you a couple of hours to fall asleep, then you'll only get 6 hours. Smiley Sad

Message 37 of 43
Contributor

Totall agree! The first few times it turned off my husband thought I did it "world war lll" ! There is a  question that comes up about changing this; unfortunately NO way to do it!

Truly annoying for those who want their TV on! Afterall, who's paying the bills?

Message 38 of 43
Tutor

I know this wasn't your doing, but it makes no sense that they should be able to get an energy star for turning off the programming, when it just switches to a continuous, annoyingly bright photo slideshow that DOES stay on forever. When I fall asleep with the TV on, which we almost always do, the bright changing light from the screensaver often wakes me up later.
Tags (2)
Message 39 of 43
Contributor

It's quite lame to label something as solved when the problem still remains. Coming up with endless excuses for the problem does nothing. If yours lasts "8 hours", good for you. Mine does not. It can be easily fixed with a sofware update which allows control of this feature. I pay both the electric/cable bills, not anyone from At&t or anyone else for that matter. This is very annoying and needs to be fixed. Don't say it is solved, until you have, or know someone has fixed this issue. People have many reasons on why this may be affecting them, we should not have to list excuses on why it needs to be changed. This is (NOT SOLVED... PERIOD!)

Message 40 of 43
Contributor

I fixed it. I dropped AT&T....all better now Smiley Very Happy
Message 41 of 43
Contributor

JefferMC, Does it bring you great joy to add snotty little comments like this;

Wow.  I'm sorry that the receiver turning off after eight (8) hours--more than 2 complete football games--of no interaction (no pausing, no rewinding, no changing channels) is that big of a deal for you.”

It was a straight forward question! It’s none of your business as to why someone would appreciate the option to disable the “sleep” mode. I have my own reasons but discovered in another article as to the “why” Uverse went in this direction.

[Inappropriate content removed]

Hugs & Kisses!

Lee S

Message 42 of 43
ACE - Expert

Throwing shade at a post that's almost 3 years old is extremely ineffective.

P.S.  All answers shared in this thread are still correct.

Message 43 of 43
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support