Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Re: How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for s

Tutor

How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for several hours? Must select "OK to continue watching.

How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for several hours?  Must select "OK to continue watching.

Message 1 of 43
Contributor

Re: How to stop Uverse TV from going into a "sleep" mode after no viewer interaction for s

I use mine as an alarm clock and hate the sleep mode because most of the time, the TV is off when I wake up, totally defeating its purpose. It was the first thing I called AT&T about after I changed to their service. If I am lucky and had a short night, it is actually still on, only to turn off after 15 min and most often during the middle of some interesting news. It is not convenient at all. It should be an option to customize for the user!

Message 16 of 43
Contributor

My DVR recently started going into sleep mode after only 2hrs.  This is rediculously short time and totally unacceptable.   It was bad enough when it would sleep after 8hrs, but something changed in the last week or so and it sleeps after only 2hrs.

I am one who likes to sleep with the TV on, when it goes off, I wake up.   Do I need to change my TV service? 

Message 17 of 43
Voyager

This was a topic you had discussed over a year ago, but you sounded like you had a better idea of possible ways to overcome it than anyone else.. I too tried the Android app to remotely press the OK button, but only works at home.  Did you ever come up with a better solution?  I was thinking of running an Android emulator on my PC to run the app, and then creating another app that would activate the Uverse app every 6 hours., but I don't have any Android programming background, and as much as I want this fixed, it is so far not worth studying and learning a whole new programmimg language.  Just curious if you ever came up with a solution since a year and a half later ATT still hasn't made this shut-off a customizable feature...

@dhascall wrote:

@Hwy505id wrote:

Did you ever consider that people like to have the television playing throughout the night while they sleep? No - you didn't {keep it courteous}

You get more than 8 hours sleep per night?  Lucky you....

Unfortunately this is one thing that folks ask a lot for but AT&T has turned into a deaf mute on this one.  I thought that I had a solution but *nooooo (*at this time Smiley Wink  ).  I had hoped to be able to use the Remote on the Android app, away from my home Wifi but nope - the remote feature only works at home.

IF I get real industrious, I could use a desktop / screen sharing app, on my home Windows 8 PC, remotely control my PC, fire up the Live TV app and see if I can remotely control the remote.  Lots of steps but it might work!

Message 18 of 43
Highlighted
Expert

I have always thought there should be a simple way to stop the countdown to screen saver. Sounds simple - just periodically send an OK. All ineed is a chron & an IR generator. THese are readily available but not as a package,

The first thing that comes to mine is the fob that sends power IR to turn off public TVs. But that does not have a chron & power toggle is not a good idea. But, it could work if a chron could trigger two button pushes to get an off/on.

I saw a harmony remote that said it had a timer, but it turned out to be a sleep timer. Not flexible enough to do this.

It would seem with the new market being home control, that would need a fully robust chron for any timing issues & should also include TV control.

Logitech is introducing new capability in this area, but I had forgotten about this need because I do not have the need, myself. I will see what the new LH features say.

Triggered by the last post in this thread, I did find this offerening that may have ability to periodically send an IR. Someone that needs it can sorrt through to see what it can do.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/roomie-remote-universal-remote/id431497717?mt=8

Here is a list of remotes that say they have timer function -

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/clicker/match.cgi

Message 19 of 43
Tutor

Woowww... I can't BELIEVE this isn't controllable!!! am the caregiver for my 90-year-old parents (they don't want to move from where they are) and my daughter, who lives with my husband and can't move from where they are; three hours away. My life is too complicated already!!!! My husband and I have been fiddling with the remote and the boxes trying to figure out how to turn the sleep mode off every time I'm in town. When I leave my daughter at the hospital and come to the house to try and sleep, I need TV background noise. As soon as the TV turns off, I wake up. It seems to happen evey 4 fours or less! I grew up in a house of pandemon and I must have TV noise! If we are the ones who buy the service, shouldn't WE have control over it??? Grrrrrr...

Message 20 of 43
Scholar

@ArdeeGA wrote:

Woowww... I can't BELIEVE this isn't controllable!!! am the caregiver for my 90-year-old parents (they don't want to move from where they are) and my daughter, who lives with my husband and can't move from where they are; three hours away. My life is too complicated already!!!! My husband and I have been fiddling with the remote and the boxes trying to figure out how to turn the sleep mode off every time I'm in town. When I leave my daughter at the hospital and come to the house to try and sleep, I need TV background noise. As soon as the TV turns off, I wake up. It seems to happen evey 4 fours or less! I grew up in a house of pandemon and I must have TV noise! If we are the ones who buy the service, shouldn't WE have control over it??? Grrrrrr...

I agree,

I fall asleep on the couch watching TV, and after about 2 hours the sleep mode kicks in.  

The silence wakes me up!   lol

chiefdore

Message 21 of 43
ACE - Expert

@ArdeeGA wrote:

Woowww... I can't BELIEVE this isn't controllable!!... It seems to happen evey 4 fours or less! ...

Believe it.  Last I checked it was exactly 8 hours, which would seem to be long enough to get some sleep.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 43
Tutor

@chiefdore wrote:

@ArdeeGA wrote:

I agree,

I fall asleep on the couch watching TV, and after about 2 hours the sleep mode kicks in.  

chiefdore

Thanks, Chief. I'm generally a very happy person but I wish I could LOL about this! The first time it happened I had been up for three days with my dad, THEN I had to find two to four weeks of care for my parents (EXPENSIVE), then after 3 hours of sleep it was a three-hour drive to take care of our daughter, who was in the hospital again. I spent the night with my daughter in the hospital, getting about 20 minutes of sleep at a time while the nurses were in and out of the room turning the light on and off all night. Finally the next morning our son came to relieve me and I went to my husband's to sleep. After 40 minutes of sleep the stupid cable turned itself off, I woke up and I couldn't find the remote!!! I didn't find anywhere else to "press OK". I was so steamed until I didn't get any more rest until the next day. Now a year later I'm finding out there's nothing I can do about it!!! Booo... hissss... boooo... Smiley Frustrated

Tags (1)
Message 23 of 43
ACE - Expert

@ArdeeGA wrote:

...Now a year later I'm finding out there's nothing I can do about it!!! Booo... hissss... boooo... Smiley Frustrated

A year later and it's still bugging you?  Let it go!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 24 of 43
ACE - Expert

Let me jump in.  I had cataract surgery a couple of months ago.  I found myself having horrible insomnia:  3 hours sleep in 2 days.  I did some research and realized that I was now very sensitive to the blue light that the TV and other electronic devices (tablet) put out and my new lens no longer filtered out.

I found music on You Tube specifically for sleep and relaxation.  One even had subliminal messages to help get me to sleep.  I play this every night on an old I-phone my daughter gave me via my wireless connection.  Many of them are 8 hours.  I have several downloaded and it loops during the night.  I fall asleep with it playing and wake up with it playing.

If you do any research on the circadian cycle, you'll find that the blue light emited by our TVs can be responsible when it comes to disturbing sleep.  Personally, I'll do anything EXCEPT have the TV on when trying to sleep.

Message 25 of 43
Tutor

By your answers I guess you must work for AT&T then... I scrolled some of your answers and you seem to have no compassion. I don't have insomnia at all; I just have several family members who need me to take care of them.

@skeeterintexas wrote:

@ArdeeGA wrote:

@chiefdore wrote:

@ArdeeGA wrote:

I agree,

chiefdore

Thanks, Chief. I'm generally a very happy person but I wish I could LOL about this! The first time it happened I had been up for three days with my dad, THEN I had to find two to four weeks of care for my parents (EXPENSIVE), then after 3 hours of sleep it was a three-hour drive to take care of our daughter, who was in the hospital again. I spent the night with my daughter in the hospital, getting about 20 minutes of sleep at a time while the nurses were in and out of the room turning the light on and off all night. Finally the next morning our son came to relieve me and I went to my husband's to sleep. After 40 minutes of sleep the stupid cable turned itself off, I woke up and I couldn't find the remote!!! I didn't find anywhere else to "press OK". I was so steamed until I didn't get any more rest until the next day. Now a year later I'm finding out there's nothing I can do about it!!! Booo... hissss... boooo... Smiley Frustrated

Let me jump in.  I had cataract surgery a couple of months ago.  I found myself having horrible insomnia:  3 hours sleep in 2 days.  I realized that I was now very sensitive to the blue light that the TV and other electronic devices (tablet) put out and my new lens no longer filtered out.

I found music on You Tube specifically for sleep and relaxation.  One even had subliminal messages to help get me to sleep.  I play this every night on an old I-phone my daughter gave me via my wireless connection.  Many of them are 8 hours.  I have several downloaded and it loops during the night.  I fall asleep with it playing and wake up with it playing.

The blue light emited by our TVs is the worse culprit in the world when it comes to disturbing sleep.  Personally, I'll do anything EXCEPT have the TV when trying to sleep.

I can't find a music station that lets me sleep... You Tube or other.

Message 26 of 43
ACE - Expert

@ArdeeGA wrote:

By your answers I guess you must work for AT&T then... I scrolled some of your answers and you seem to have no compassion. I don't have insomnia at all; I just have several family members who need me to take care of them.

Nope, neither skeeter nor I work for AT&T. But thanks for the points towards our next set of steak knives.

Message 27 of 43
ACE - Expert

ME???  You talkin' to me????

EXCUUUUSE me for trying to suggest things to those that were commenting that they woke up when the TV went off and then they had to hit the button on the remote every two hours to get back to sleep........

I was going to share my relaxation music but not now.  Smiley Tongue

*stomps foot and leaves room....

Message 28 of 43
ACE - Expert

@JefferMC wrote:

@ArdeeGA wrote:

Nope, neither skeeter nor I work for AT&T. But thanks for the points towards our next set of steak knives.

Here, Jeffer, I'll share this lovely edible arrangement:
Edible Arrangement

Message 29 of 43
Tutor

Wow. It took me a year to find out what's wrong with the cable service; what a waste of time. What non-compassionate people here. Moving on...

Tags (2)
Message 30 of 43
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support