aujones's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, December 31st, 2012 12:16 AM

How many TV's can a Wireless Receiver support?

The U-200 plan for TV, phone , and internet includes a DVR and a wireless receiver - that should support two TV's.  Since I have several more TV's, I plan to add two more controller boxes and then purchase a wireless receiver for the other TV's.  How many additional TV's can the wireless receiver support?  Is the wireless receiver "portable" - that is, can it be moved from room to room without having to disconnect and re-connect wires or cables?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@aujones wrote:

The U-200 plan for TV, phone , and internet includes a DVR and a wireless receiver - that should support two TV's.  Since I have several more TV's, I plan to add two more controller boxes and then purchase a wireless receiver for the other TV's.  How many additional TV's can the wireless receiver support?  Is the wireless receiver "portable" - that is, can it be moved from room to room without having to disconnect and re-connect wires or cables?

You need a reviever for each TV you want to watch TV on. So if you have more than 1 TV you plan on watching TV on, I would suggest ordering more recievers. Each gateway can handle up to 2 wireless recievers per household and a total of 8 recievrs per household (a combination of wireless, wired, and the DVR). Also, U-Verse allows you to only watch/record up to 4 channels at once. So if you're recording 3 shows, you can only watch one more live channel.

The wireless reciever is nice in that you don't have to have a coax or ethernet drop point at the locaiton of your TV to recieve U-Verse TV in that room.  You'll still have to connect your TV to the reciever and both of these to a power outlet.

Techinically you can get up to 4 TV's off of one reciever(1 connected via coax, composite, component, and HDMI) but they'll all have to be on the same channel and be close enough in proximity to each other for the connections to reach one another.

So if I'm reading this right you have a total of 5 TVs that you want to add service to? If that's so you should be good to go. with 5 boxes (1 DVR, 2 wired, and 2 wireless)

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aujones - STB is set Top Box (aka receiver).
Your ipod touch is connected to the u-verse wi-fi. Yes.

Go to the app store or itunes/app store and search att. You will see a selection for att U-verse. Click it & first app is att u-verse. You do not want that one - if you look in the details you will see it is version 2.7.1. It does not have a good remote.

Go to the top of the screen & select iphone. You will now see a U-verse app. This is version 2.6 & has a nice remote that you can use to change channels on the STB. You cannot power it off - only activate it with OK.

You will want to name the STB & pair the app with the STB.This is on channel 9301. Then you will have control via wi-fi.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aujones - An installation can have one DVR and two wireless receivers. Additional TVs are served by wired receivers.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for the info - this is more complicated than I realized.  I currently have Time Warner and have a TV out on the screen porch which is connected via a splitter on a coax from that TV - no cable box, just basic channels.  Maybe that is a solution that allows me to have one less receiver.  Could a third TV also be connected if the coax were split again - they are fairly close by one another?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aujones - The U-verse signal is not compatible with TV tuners (like Time Warner and other Cable providers) You must have a U-verse receiver to tune each channel for viewing. Cable providers are also moving in this direction.

One of the receiver outputs is COAX that carries analog channel 3 that is tunable by most TVs.

There are two disadvantages to this connection - It is the same channel as on the first connected TV - It is an SD signal (even when the receiver is tuned to an HD channel) .

I have not seen any posts on connecting a third TV. May or may not have enough signal strength, but a third TV on the same channel does not bring much added value.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

The COAX connection could be all right - depends on the picture quality.  Since I'm usually the only one watching the TV's, I could change the channel on the 'base' TV if I bought an RF Remote Control - at $59.00 it would pay for itself after 7 or 8 months.  That said, would the RF work for all the TV's with their individual receivers?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aujones - Do you mean can you use the RF remote to control the receiver and multiple/each TV??

Programming the RF remote for the first TV would be the same as a regular remote. For addl TVs you would reprogram the aux or DVD button to be a TV button & program it for the TV. If there is a code for your TVs it would work. Of course the TV is IR (not RF).

The RF signal may or may not be strong enough for reaching the U-verse receiver.

There is an alternative - If you have or are considering an iphone, ipad or ipod touch - there is an app U-verse 2.6 which controls the STB via wi-fi - seems to work better - Just currently does not turn off receiver.

You can use regular U-verse remote or TV remote for TVs.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I'm thinking of having the COAX-connected TV out on the screen porch, and it is set on channel 3, so it's showing whatever channel the other TV that it's connected to is showing.  I could use the RF remote to change the channel on the inside TV without having to go back inside.  I'm not sure your suggestion about using the aux setting would work since the outside TV is COAX-connected and has to be on channel 3.  My goal is to not have to have a receiver for the outside TV but still be able to change the channel when outside.  Maybe it isn't worth the expensive.

I do have an iPod touch - what is "STB", and is the app named "U-verse-2.6"?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for all the good info.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

aujones - Your welcome. I should warn you away from the U-verse easy remote - It is a complicated mess.

If you come up with any questions, post.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.