How do I get rid of SD channels completely?

Teacher

How do I get rid of SD channels completely?

I don't ever want to view any SD channels ever again. I've had an HD TV for over ten years now...it's time to move on, but I can't. Uverse keeps getting in my way. Here's how:

1. I remove all SD channels from the guide but UVerse keeps adding more channels, including ones that I can't hide. This is a battle I'm losing. No matter what I do, I keep seeing SD channels in my guide. To make matters worse, they are at the top of the guide. 

2. The mobile app doesn't remember the HD setting so it inevitably shows me SD shows. When I'm on top of my game, I remember to hit the Filter button and tap "HD Channels Only" so I'm good. 25% of the time (100% during NFL playoffs), I'm dumb and forget to do that so I record SD channels. 

AT&T, PLEASE give me the option to disable SD everywhere. I don't want it anymore.

Failing that, could you at least have the app remember the setting so I don't have to select it every time?

Am I the only one?

Message 1 of 44 (6,831 Views)

Re: How do I get rid of SD channels completely?

BillD64 wrote:

So the community approved solution is there is nothing that can be done???  I have been trying to get an all HD selection for the last 8 years. My past provider didn't have any content that wasn't available in an HD broadcast but they still had all of the SD crap taking up space.

Bill

I don't feel that SD is crap. I have a 5 year old son in the house who watches the cartoon / kids channels in SD, it's not like he knows he's watch Teen Titans in SD as opposed to HD.  The military channel is SD which I happen to watch. There are times when I recording two or three shows at once and others in the house are required to watch SD.  It doesn't take up any extra space and there are still those that have tube TVs that aren't HD capable. You don't want to see them, that's your perogative, you have two choices,

1) Hide the SD channels  Menu -> Options -> Channel Options -> Hide Channels

2) Start your channel surfing on channel 1000

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 16 of 44 (6,038 Views)
ACE - Professor

BillD64 wrote:

So the community approved solution is there is nothing that can be done???  I have been trying to get an all HD selection for the last 8 years. My past provider didn't have any content that wasn't available in an HD broadcast but they still had all of the SD crap taking up space.

Bill

The way people are on this forum, if you take away all of the SD channels, there will be a huge uproar, more so than people like you who are complaining that they are still there. I do not watch the SD channels, generally, but I would be unhappy if they were taken away. I do watch The Military Channel once in a while.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 44 (6,031 Views)
Highlighted
Mentor

I found your post amusing and a bit uninformed. ALL providers include both SD and HD channels for many networks. Several reasons why. Transmission of HD channels can go down at the source or anywhere on their path to your home. Example NBC with the upcoming Olympics. If U-verse only offered NBC in HD and for whatever reason that signal was lost at the source even for just a few minutes you'd be out of luck and no doubt U-verse would get tens of thousands of complaints.

Message 18 of 44 (5,903 Views)
ACE - Professor

As I mentioned in another thread, if U-Verse got rid of all of the SD channels, then there would be no chance that U-Verse could have sub-channels if that policy would ever change. You cannot have it both ways.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 44 (5,894 Views)
Scholar

If you get rid of the sd channels would you not loose one of your 4 feeds.  If I am not incorrect of the 4 feeds only 3 can be in hd.  Also if you get rid of sd everyone will loose a lot of channels that are sd only.  I do not see any problem all you have to do is put a 1 in front of the channel you are watching and if there is an hd counterpart it will change to the hd channel if there is not an hd channel it will stay on the channel you are watching.  That makes more sense to me than trying to figure out what channels are in hd.  I do not watch based on channels I watch based on programs I want to see.  I do check when I change to the sd channel to see if it has an hd channel by putting a 1 in front of the channel number and if the channel is in hd it will switch to that channel.

Message 20 of 44 (5,861 Views)
ACE - Master

db821arc wrote:

If you get rid of the sd channels would you not loose one of your 4 feeds.  If I am not incorrect of the 4 feeds only 3 can be in hd.  Also if you get rid of sd everyone will loose a lot of channels that are sd only.  I do not see any problem all you have to do is put a 1 in front of the channel you are watching and if there is an hd counterpart it will change to the hd channel if there is not an hd channel it will stay on the channel you are watching.  That makes more sense to me than trying to figure out what channels are in hd.  I do not watch based on channels I watch based on programs I want to see.  I do check when I change to the sd channel to see if it has an hd channel by putting a 1 in front of the channel number and if the channel is in hd it will switch to that channel.

The number of feeds you get is not dependent on SD vs. HD.  Everyone gets 4 regardless if they have HD (U400) or pay the HD fee (<U300)

The only caveat is how many of those HD feeds can be recorded in HD vs. SD.

Message 21 of 44 (5,857 Views)

If I read the original post, he is not saying get rid of SD channels.  He is only saying to have a savable setting for the Guide and the mobile app that tells it to display only HD channels.  Anyone that still wants to see SD just would not select that setting.  The setting needs to be savable so that it does not need to be selected each time you turn on a receiver or open the web app.

I only watch HD myself and everytime I bring up the guide, the first thing I have to do is change to a channel above 1000.  With the remote problem of double presses and delayed presses, it sometimes takes several tries to do this.  I could create favorites, but as I understand, this has to be done on every receiver, you can't just create one favorite list that can be used by all receivers.  I have seven receivers (including the DVR) so this is not pratical.

Message 22 of 44 (5,682 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

jamesteixeira - I feel similarly about being able to access HD. I guess, you & others are hampered by others accessing SD channels on "your " TV. I hardly ever access SD & no one else watches "my" TV, so the guide is almost always in the HD range.

I did come up with a suggestion for moving the guide from the SD range to the HD range. Instead of entering a specific channel enter 999. There is one less button push and 9 seems to be better accepted than some. This will position you at the start of the HD channels, where the broadcast channels are - followed by cable channels.

If you want to watch a channel that is HD and pick up the HD guide from that, then you are stuck entering the full digits. If there are blank channels ahead of it, you may be able to make it work better by entering one of those. U-verse does not fail an invalid channel, it goes to the next highest.

I would really like to see a "favorite channel " button that triggers the STB to select that pre-specified channel. One command as opposed to a remote generating the channel numbers automatically.

You should try Favorites - at least on your main TV. I had avoided it because it does not have one button access. But, I have gotten used to it.

To add a channel to favorites - click enter/zoom, select add to favorites.
To view favorite guide - Menu - 2 down arrow - OK

Message 23 of 44 (5,674 Views)
Contributor

This says it's solved but I disagree.  Having to click 5 buttons in order to get to your favorites is not a solution to the problem of wanting to permanently delete the ENTIRE list of SD channels that you don't need.  AT&T this seems like a really simple system update that is possible with a little program tweaking.  If you would like to hire me to add this feature to your Uverse, I would be happy to do it for discounted service. Call me.

Message 24 of 44 (5,147 Views)
Mentor

This is basically what DirecTV does.  A channel (SD and HD) are assigned the same channel number...you simply go into settings and select "Hide SD Channels".  It only hides an SD channel if an HD channel exists...otherwise, it keeps the SD channel in the guide.  The thing that is most enjoyable is that both SD and HD have THE SAME CHANNEL NUMBER...none of this "add 1000" or "all HD channels at the bottom of the guide" stuff.

Hopefully, IF the merger happens, AT&T does not screw up this great DTV feature...and actually implements it on their UVerse solution.

Message 25 of 44 (5,053 Views)

The only issue with hiding all SD channels, if you are recording too many HD you won't be able to watch anything.  I personally don't care if SD channels are showing since I have a 5yo who doesn't care if Paw Patrol is in HD and a wife who doesn't care if RHONY is in HD or SD.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 26 of 44 (5,029 Views)
Employee

What merger?

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 27 of 44 (5,014 Views)
ACE - Master

Fox Mulder wrote:

What merger?

Not so much a merger as ATT acquiring Direct. 

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/01/investing/att-directv/

Message 28 of 44 (5,008 Views)
Employee

interesting!!

Thanks!!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 29 of 44 (5,002 Views)
ACE - Master

skeeterintexas wrote:

Fox Mulder wrote:

What merger?

Not so much a merger as ATT acquiring Direct. 

http://money.cnn.com/2014/05/01/investing/att-directv/

Right.  I do think folks, even in the press, get "merger" and "acquisition" mixed up BUT if it happens, there will be some sort of merging of business lines, at some point.

Message 30 of 44 (4,998 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.