MrSchmidt's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Sunday, January 12th, 2014 10:08 PM

How do I get rid of SD channels completely?

I don't ever want to view any SD channels ever again. I've had an HD TV for over ten years now...it's time to move on, but I can't. Uverse keeps getting in my way. Here's how:

1. I remove all SD channels from the guide but UVerse keeps adding more channels, including ones that I can't hide. This is a battle I'm losing. No matter what I do, I keep seeing SD channels in my guide. To make matters worse, they are at the top of the guide. 

2. The mobile app doesn't remember the HD setting so it inevitably shows me SD shows. When I'm on top of my game, I remember to hit the Filter button and tap "HD Channels Only" so I'm good. 25% of the time (100% during NFL playoffs), I'm dumb and forget to do that so I record SD channels. 

AT&T, PLEASE give me the option to disable SD everywhere. I don't want it anymore.

Failing that, could you at least have the app remember the setting so I don't have to select it every time?

Am I the only one?

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

So the community approved solution is there is nothing that can be done???  I have been trying to get an all HD selection for the last 8 years. My past provider didn't have any content that wasn't available in an HD broadcast but they still had all of the SD crap taking up space.

Bill

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

BillD64 - Can you be more specific about how SD takes up space & gets in your way? I never tune to an SD channel, so as far as I am concerned they do not exist. I never had one jump in front of my bus.

Then there a few million folks that do access SD channels & they should be able to do that.

Seems like you are at one extreme & I am at the other with a few million in the middle. Reminds me of the expression - There is no reality. Only your perspective and my perspective.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

I do not understand why SD channels are a problem in the first place. The way U-Verse is set up, you can start at Channel 1000, do all of the surfing of channels that you want to, and never ever see an SD channel.

If the HD channels were interspersed with the SD channels, then, yes, it could be a problem, but that is not the case with U-Verse.

People are making a huge issue in their mind out of something that does not have to be a problem due to the way the channels are set up.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

You have to look at the big picture. There are millions of people who have purchased HDTVs as that is all that could be purchased for the last 7 or 8 years. Many of them have no idea what it takes to receive an HD signal over cable and just wonder why their pictures have gotten worse since upgrading to the new HD sets. Others, have no idea what they are watching on their sets and are amazed when somebody walks in the room and changes the channel from SD to an HD channel and the picture drastically improves.  I have seen this many times in my own family with my mother who is now 96 and who has had an HDTV for the last 6 years. The assisted living center she lives in supplies basic Direct TV which is all SD (including local channels broadcast in HD) and so the TV is just sitting there showing blurry pictures running SD crap. She pays $5500 a month only needs basic HD cable but can't get it from Direct TV without paying an additional $50/mo and getting into the confusing mess of the same program being shown in SD and HD on two different channels.  Then you have the so called hip with electronics younger generation who really don't seem to know anything about new technology and are watching their football games on SD. When asked why they aren't watching the broadcast in HD (with a nice wide field of view) they just look confused until somebody changes the channel.

Dumping stuff that doesn't need to be there frees up bandwidth so they can provide basic HD to the millions of people who have HDTVs but can't afford to pay the high costs of having the so called free HD broadcasts delivered to their homes. Stops the confusion of the masses and moves us past the crap age.

Bill

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@BillD64 wrote:

So the community approved solution is there is nothing that can be done???  I have been trying to get an all HD selection for the last 8 years. My past provider didn't have any content that wasn't available in an HD broadcast but they still had all of the SD crap taking up space.

Bill

I don't feel that SD is crap. I have a 5 year old son in the house who watches the cartoon / kids channels in SD, it's not like he knows he's watch Teen Titans in SD as opposed to HD.  The military channel is SD which I happen to watch. There are times when I recording two or three shows at once and others in the house are required to watch SD.  It doesn't take up any extra space and there are still those that have tube TVs that aren't HD capable. You don't want to see them, that's your perogative, you have two choices,

1) Hide the SD channels  Menu -> Options -> Channel Options -> Hide Channels

2) Start your channel surfing on channel 1000

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@BillD64 wrote:

Bill

The way people are on this forum, if you take away all of the SD channels, there will be a huge uproar, more so than people like you who are complaining that they are still there. I do not watch the SD channels, generally, but I would be unhappy if they were taken away. I do watch The Military Channel once in a while.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Scholar

• 

80 Messages

10 years ago

I found your post amusing and a bit uninformed. ALL providers include both SD and HD channels for many networks. Several reasons why. Transmission of HD channels can go down at the source or anywhere on their path to your home. Example NBC with the upcoming Olympics. If U-verse only offered NBC in HD and for whatever reason that signal was lost at the source even for just a few minutes you'd be out of luck and no doubt U-verse would get tens of thousands of complaints.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

As I mentioned in another thread, if U-Verse got rid of all of the SD channels, then there would be no chance that U-Verse could have sub-channels if that policy would ever change. You cannot have it both ways.

Scholar

• 

86 Messages

10 years ago

If you get rid of the sd channels would you not loose one of your 4 feeds.  If I am not incorrect of the 4 feeds only 3 can be in hd.  Also if you get rid of sd everyone will loose a lot of channels that are sd only.  I do not see any problem all you have to do is put a 1 in front of the channel you are watching and if there is an hd counterpart it will change to the hd channel if there is not an hd channel it will stay on the channel you are watching.  That makes more sense to me than trying to figure out what channels are in hd.  I do not watch based on channels I watch based on programs I want to see.  I do check when I change to the sd channel to see if it has an hd channel by putting a 1 in front of the channel number and if the channel is in hd it will switch to that channel.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

@db821arc wrote:

If you get rid of the sd channels would you not loose one of your 4 feeds.  If I am not incorrect of the 4 feeds only 3 can be in hd.  Also if you get rid of sd everyone will loose a lot of channels that are sd only.  I do not see any problem all you have to do is put a 1 in front of the channel you are watching and if there is an hd counterpart it will change to the hd channel if there is not an hd channel it will stay on the channel you are watching.  That makes more sense to me than trying to figure out what channels are in hd.  I do not watch based on channels I watch based on programs I want to see.  I do check when I change to the sd channel to see if it has an hd channel by putting a 1 in front of the channel number and if the channel is in hd it will switch to that channel.

The number of feeds you get is not dependent on SD vs. HD.  Everyone gets 4 regardless if they have HD (U400) or pay the HD fee (

The only caveat is how many of those HD feeds can be recorded in HD vs. SD.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.