MrSchmidt's profile

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

Sunday, January 12th, 2014 10:08 PM

How do I get rid of SD channels completely?

I don't ever want to view any SD channels ever again. I've had an HD TV for over ten years now...it's time to move on, but I can't. Uverse keeps getting in my way. Here's how:

1. I remove all SD channels from the guide but UVerse keeps adding more channels, including ones that I can't hide. This is a battle I'm losing. No matter what I do, I keep seeing SD channels in my guide. To make matters worse, they are at the top of the guide. 

2. The mobile app doesn't remember the HD setting so it inevitably shows me SD shows. When I'm on top of my game, I remember to hit the Filter button and tap "HD Channels Only" so I'm good. 25% of the time (100% during NFL playoffs), I'm dumb and forget to do that so I record SD channels. 

AT&T, PLEASE give me the option to disable SD everywhere. I don't want it anymore.

Failing that, could you at least have the app remember the setting so I don't have to select it every time?

Am I the only one?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

I agree that the HD channels should be the primary, easiest to view channels and there should be many customer settable options that persist.

All I can offer on number one is - use favorites - You may not even want all HD in your favorites. Because you add channels to favorites, there are no new ones added by at&t. The downside is the dispaly requires Menu - Down arrow - Down arrow - OK

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

I think if they fixed the mobile app to only show HD it would solve most of the problem for me. I try to avoid the guide unless I really have to use it.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Aren't there still some SD-only channels with no HD counterpart?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

Some the Encore channels don't have HD counterparts. 

Here in Dallas, we get ME-TV and there is not HD version of that.  Also LOGO is SD only at this time.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

Two channels that I can think of that U-Verse does not have in HD are NASA and The Military Channel. St. Louis local channels 24 and 46 do not have HD counterparts, also.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@dwinth wrote:

Two channels that I can think of that U-Verse does not have in HD are NASA and The Military Channel. St. Louis local channels 24 and 46 do not have HD counterparts, also.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

And that is my point.  Why anyone would want an HD only option is a bit odd, when not all channels have an HD counterpart.

While I do like U-Verse's "add 1000" channel numbering plan, I would like to just have one channel, and as an option, you would toggle between HD and SD versions.  Say ESPN is 602.  When you enter 602, you are taken to the HD channel by default, on an HD TV.  This could be set as an option.  My wife is old school and starts her surfing at 4, then 6, and so on before hitting HGTV on 450, lol.  That will ensure that she is watching in HD, regardless where she starts. Smiley Happy

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

If there are, I don't want to watch them.

Mentor

• 

33 Messages

10 years ago

Not sure if you actually watch those SD channels on an HD set, but the content would have to be amazing to make it worthwhile. It's such a bad experience. If folks want to watch SD channels that's up to them...I just want a way to completely ignore them. If I miss an SD-only channel, so be it. They should really switch over to HD.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@MrSchmidt wrote:

Not sure if you actually watch those SD channels on an HD set, but the content would have to be amazing to make it worthwhile. It's such a bad experience. If folks want to watch SD channels that's up to them...I just want a way to completely ignore them. If I miss an SD-only channel, so be it. They should really switch over to HD.

Yeah but even in 2014, some shows and commercials are still shot in SD.  I just don't understand.  

As far as SD on an HD set, we do record some shows in SD, just to keep the DVR space down.  They look decent on my plasma set but bad, bad,bad on my LED set.  

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@MrSchmidt wrote:

I guess that's just a matter of opinion. I personally watch 95% of my shows on HD, however there are times when I'm recording more than one or two shows that I HAVE to watch SD. And yes, there are shows that on SD channels that I watch as well. Are they as great as HD, no, but not unwatchable.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.