flexy633_1's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 11:40 PM

Help Installing VCR, stereo receiver, and DVD

Hello everyone!  We had the AT&T tech out here on April 26 to install our U-Verse system.  However, none of our components (i.e. VCR, DVD player, stereo receiver, or stereo speakers) were hooked up yet (they weren't unpacked).  He just installed the AT&T receiver to our HDTV.  We have a brand new Phillips 42" HDTV.  The VCR is a late 90's Sony SLV-N71.  The DVD player is a 2005 Sony DVPN5V57P.  I have these hooked up to a Technics SA-EX300 receiver from the mid-90's powering some 901 Bose speakers which have their own equalizer.

As you can guess, there are many wires everywhere.  On top of that we have an early 90's Fisher cassette player/recorder.  They all worked fine when we had Comcast basic service (no set up box). 

My boyfriend is losing his mind and I'm losing my patience because he cannot get this setup.  He bought one HDMI calbe and tried to connect it from the TV to the AT&T receiver and he put the source for the TV to HDMI1 and the TV flashes the picture for a split second and then, shows what souce it's on.  He tried it on HDMI 2, then 3 and it does the same thing. 

He cannot get the VCR and DVD connected either.  Can someone provide a step by step connection guide since AT&T is worthless and they want to send someone out here for $300 to hook it all up.  I would really appreciate your help.  Oh, and the book provided by AT&T doesn't help.  Obviously, otherwise we wouldn't have a bunch of people coming on this message board asking for assistance.

Thanks!

Joanne

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

14 years ago

OK:

Philips HDTV: Very nice TV.  You'll enjoy it.

Sony DVD: A bit older, but a nice DVD player.

Sony VCR: Well, if you still have tapes to watch, then you have to have one.

Technics AVR: OK, this is the equivalent of trying to put a watch together with stone knives and bearskins.  This AVR is the component that is stopping you from getting this all hooked up in a good way.  It's also very outdated as far as what kinds of audio (moden digital codecs, surround sound, etc.) it can play.  Seriously, replace this thing with a modern AV Receiver at your earliest opportunity.  Current popular brands are Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon, Sony, and Yamaha.

But if you want all this hooked up, I recommend the following setup.  Each numbered item is one set of connections.  The proper cable from Monoprice.com is linked to at the end, all cables are 6 feet long.

Connections

1. Sony VCR to Philips HDTV: Use a Composite + L/R Audio cable (3x RCA connectors, yellow/red/white) from the VCR out jacks to the Philips HDTV Video 1 In jacks.  The Video 1 in jacks are on the back of the Philips TV, they're labeled #5 in your manual on page 28.  Monoprice Composite+L/R Audio Cable.

2. Sony DVD to Philips HDTV: Use an S-Video + L/R Audio cable (2x RCA + 1x S-Video, red/white/black) from the DVD output jacks to the Philips HDTV Video 2 in jacks.  The Video 2 in jacks are on the side of the Philips TV, they're labeled #10/#11 in your manual on page 28.  Monoprice S-Video + L/R Audio Cable.

3. U-Verse to Philips HDTV: Use a Component + L/R audio cable (5x RCA, red/green/blue/red/white) from the U-Verse DVR output jacks to the Philips HDTV Component in jacks.  The Component in jacks are on the back of the TV, they're labeled #6 in your manual on page 28.  Abandon the HDMI cable and connection because HDMI does not help you due to your audio setup.  In fact, it will hurt you because of a black level problem within the U-Verse system.  Component connections work better for your situation.  Monoprice Component + L/R Audio Cable.

4. Philips TV to Technics AVR: Use a standard L/R audio cable (2x RCA, red/white) from the Philips TV audio output jacks to the Technics AVR VCR1 audio input jacks.  The audio output jacks on the Philips TV are on the back, shown as #3 in your manual on page 28.  Note that your manual has a misprint, it calls these "Audio Input Jacks" -- they are not, they are output.  Monoprice L/R Audio Cable.

5. Fisher tape deck to Technics AVR: Use a standard L/R audio cable (2x RCA, red/white) from the Fisher audio output to the Technics AVR Tape in jacks.  (Use same type of cable as #4 -- so you will need two of those).

Operation

You will select which device you want to watch on the HDTV by changing the TV input (use the Source button on the remote)

Sony VCR: Video 1

Sony DVD: Video 2

U-Verse: Component

For the Technics AVR, you will leave it on VCR1 to listen to anything except the Fisher tape deck.  To listen to that, switch the Technics to Tape instead of VCR1.  Switch back to VCR1 to listen to anything else.

Settings

U-Verse DVR:

1. Menu -> Options -> System Options -> Aspect Ratio -> Set to 1080i on high-definition screens.

2. Menu -> Options -> Audio/Language Options -> Digital Audio Output -> Set to Stereo

3. While watching TV, hit Enter (key below the 9 on the remote) -> Use L/R arrows to go to Zoom, set to Normal.

Philips HDTV:

1. Change the picture format to Normal (use Format button on Remote).

2. Menu -> Picture -> Auto Picture -> Set to Standard

3. Menu -> Sound -> TV Speakers -> Off

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

14 years ago

Can you also post the model number of the Phillips HDTV?  I'll see if I can research some of these components and give you a recommendation.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

It's a Phillips 42PFL3704D.  I looked at the back of the tv and the tech hooked up the red, white, and yellow cables from the back of the TV (it says Video 2) to the back of the DVR/AT&T receiver. 

We are trying to avoid going through the VCR in order to hear the Bose speakers when we watch tv.  We want to be able to play the speakers through our stereo receiver while watching U-Verse. 

Thanks for any help you can provide Joe.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

Thanks very much, Joe.  I am going to have my boyfriend try this today.  I'll let you know how it goes.  Yes, we know we need to replace the receiver.  Just bought a house, so we have to wait on that. 

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

14 years ago

Hi, Joe.  Your instructions worked GREAT!  My boyfriend was able to get it all hooked up today.  He couldn't have done it without you (well, maybe, but it would have taken days!).  So, again, thanks for all your help.  It is greatly appreciated!!!!  :smileyvery-happy:

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

14 years ago

Glad to know you are all set.  Enjoy.:smileyhappy:

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

I'm bumping this thread because the problem we are having now is this.  When watching a tv program (especially on ABC), the picture will go in and out and Component will flash on the screen.   Do we have something hooked up incorrectly?  It's been doing this for a long time now, but I never got around to finding this old thread so everyone would know what I'm talking about. 

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

13 years ago

In your original post, you mentioned that the TV was doing the same thing with the HDMI connections.  This appears to be pointing to a problem with the TV since it's now also exhibiting nearly the same symptom with the component connections.

I'd advise these three possible courses of action:

1. Contact Philips and see if they have a firmware update for your TV.  They should be able to send it to you for free if they do (for many TVs, it's installed via a USB flash drive).  They should also be able to tell you the procedure to install it.

2. You might try switching the U-Verse box to 720p instead of 1080i:

Menu -> Options -> System Options -> Aspect Ratio -> 720p on high-definition screens

3. Lower the contrast setting on your TV (write down previous settings first so you can set this back if it doesn't work):

Menu -> Picture -> Auto Picture -> set to Standard

Menu -> Picture -> Contrast -> Set to 60

See if one or more of those things mitigate or eliminate the problem.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

13 years ago

How are the TV and STB connected?

Are you saying that the TV screen is displaying the word component?

I believe the original poster was saying that their TV was generating a label on the screen specifying which input is active. It is doing this because it is not detecting a signal on that input.

If you have them same symptoms occuring intermittently, you must have a bad connection in that path. I will guess that you have a component connection ( three RCA jack/plug cables for video and two for audio).

First, make sure the video connections are well connected and matched at each end (same plug nomenclature at STB and TV are connected together). Does any wire in the commection appear broken?

Do you have addl cables you could swap - Do you have addl component inputs you could swap? Do you have addl STBs you could swap?

Swapping is to try to isolate where is the bad connection.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

13 years ago

Joe, yes the TV was cutting out before with the HDMI cables, but it would just stay there and wouldn't come back to the station it was on.  In this case, the screen will go black, flash Component for a split second, then the show I am watching will come back.  You can still hear the audio when this happens too.  The problem before - you could not hear the audio or anything and the program never came back.

I will try your suggestions and see what happens.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.