flexy633_1's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 11:40 PM

Help Installing VCR, stereo receiver, and DVD

Hello everyone!  We had the AT&T tech out here on April 26 to install our U-Verse system.  However, none of our components (i.e. VCR, DVD player, stereo receiver, or stereo speakers) were hooked up yet (they weren't unpacked).  He just installed the AT&T receiver to our HDTV.  We have a brand new Phillips 42" HDTV.  The VCR is a late 90's Sony SLV-N71.  The DVD player is a 2005 Sony DVPN5V57P.  I have these hooked up to a Technics SA-EX300 receiver from the mid-90's powering some 901 Bose speakers which have their own equalizer.

As you can guess, there are many wires everywhere.  On top of that we have an early 90's Fisher cassette player/recorder.  They all worked fine when we had Comcast basic service (no set up box). 

My boyfriend is losing his mind and I'm losing my patience because he cannot get this setup.  He bought one HDMI calbe and tried to connect it from the TV to the AT&T receiver and he put the source for the TV to HDMI1 and the TV flashes the picture for a split second and then, shows what souce it's on.  He tried it on HDMI 2, then 3 and it does the same thing. 

He cannot get the VCR and DVD connected either.  Can someone provide a step by step connection guide since AT&T is worthless and they want to send someone out here for $300 to hook it all up.  I would really appreciate your help.  Oh, and the book provided by AT&T doesn't help.  Obviously, otherwise we wouldn't have a bunch of people coming on this message board asking for assistance.

Thanks!

Joanne

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@lindaw76107 wrote:

Going crazy here!!! Not tech savy at all!  Here is what I have:

1) Emerson DVD player w/video cassette recorder (EWD 2203);

2) RCA Audio/Video Receiver (STAV - 3970); and

3) Sanyo HDTV LCD (DP 32640).  These are the components of my home entertainment center with speakers in the ceiling and one center speaker on top of the home entertainment cabinet.

Had these hooked up prior to getting the Sanyo HDTV and installing U-Verse.  They weren't reattached by the technician and I need step by step instructions if I am going to get them re-installed correctly.  Your assistance would be sincerely appreciated!!!  Thank you so much!!!

Sincerely, Linda

Here's how I would connect your system to everything:

Uverse STB to TV Via HDMI

Uverse STB Audio to Sound System via Optical (back side the connection on the back of the STB and sound system that glows red)

DVD player to TV via Component video and Composite audio (Red/Blue/Green/Red/White RCA cables)

DVD Player to Sound System via Coax Audio Out (a single RCA cable)

VCR to Sound system via composite (red/white yellow) Connect it to the VCR in on the back side of the sound system

Sound system to TV via composite (red/white/yellow) connect to the VCR out on the back side of the sound system

I know it looks and sounds complicated but in my opinion, this should give you the best avaliable picture quality and sound with your equipment and give you the ability to listen/watch tv or movies with and without the sound system on.

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Like I said, I am NOT tech savvy, but your instructions are a little more clear than the previous responder.  I certainly do appreciate everyone's response to a tech dummie like me, and I am fixing to give it a try.  I will let you know how it goes!!   TYVM

Professor

• 

1.3K Messages

11 years ago

@lindaw76107 wrote:

Like I said, I am NOT tech savvy, but your instructions are a little more clear than the previous responder.  I certainly do appreciate everyone's response to a tech dummie like me, and I am fixing to give it a try.  I will let you know how it goes!!   TYVM

Not a problem. Just another suggestion, get a Harmony remote.  These remotes are simple to setup on your computer and let you 1-button start everything to watching (turns on TV, Sounds system and sets it so that the TV is displayed and that the volume on the sound system is controlled by the same remote)

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

10 years ago

flexy633_1 wrote:

Hello everyone!  We had the AT&T tech out here on April 26 to install our U-Verse system.  However, none of our components (i.e. VCR, DVD player, stereo receiver, or stereo speakers) were hooked up yet (they weren't unpacked).  He just installed the AT&T receiver to our HDTV.  We have a brand new Phillips 42" HDTV.  The VCR is a late 90's Sony SLV-N71.  The DVD player is a 2005 Sony DVPN5V57P.  I have these hooked up to a Technics SA-EX300 receiver from the mid-90's powering some 901 Bose speakers which have their own equalizer.

As you can guess, there are many wires everywhere.  On top of that we have an early 90's Fisher cassette player/recorder.  They all worked fine when we had Comcast basic service (no set up box). 

My boyfriend is losing his mind and I'm losing my patience because he cannot get this setup.  He bought one HDMI calbe and tried to connect it from the TV to the AT&T receiver and he put the source for the TV to HDMI1 and the TV flashes the picture for a split second and then, shows what souce it's on.  He tried it on HDMI 2, then 3 and it does the same thing. 

He cannot get the VCR and DVD connected either.  Can someone provide a step by step connection guide since AT&T is worthless and they want to send someone out here for $300 to hook it all up.  I would really appreciate your help.  Oh, and the book provided by AT&T doesn't help.  Obviously, otherwise we wouldn't have a bunch of people coming on this message board asking for assistance.

Thanks!

Joanne

Yes, they did the exact same thing to me.  I called customer service~~this happened over 2 years ago.  The technical department said they would be happy to send someone over, and I'm pretty sure I had to wait until the weekend.  The guy they sent over told me "it was not his job". 

He sent me one of those evaluation forms with the name and phone number of his supervisor, and I also received a phone call later where I was supposed to rate the quality of the service.

When he was here, it seemed as if it were more of situation like he didn't know HOW to do the work, more than it wasn't part of his job. 

I called the supervisor back and explained what had happened, and rescheduled for the following weekend.  And for the following weekend we also had additional work for another TV set that had to be reconnected with a new stereo antenna and a new DVD player, it is one of the older tube sets, probably something I could have done myself, except the set is very large.  One time the set fell over and required some repairs, so I didn't want to play with it.  

The second time the ATT tech did fine with the old tube set, but could not manage the home theater gear and the flat screen in the other room, so it cost us another fee.  And during the next week I had to chase his supervisor around to get someone here over the third weekend in a row.  \

I was starting to become seriously upset at this point, since I usually work 12-14 hours days and if I have to take a day off for something like this, I get upset if it doesn't get done. 

The third time this (bozo) visited, we were charged, and everything is still in pieces, all over in various room all over my house. 

At this point I haven't been able to even turn on my TV set in over a month.  I'm so disgusted I'm about to scream.  I don't want these people back in my house.  We've been paying to keep our numbers unlisted, and they are all over several versions of the yellow pages, white pages, and the ATT installers damaged a lamp in my office (cost over $80 to repair).  Did not tell anyone.  Door to door solicitation is illegal in the town where I live, I should have slammed the door in the woman's face, at this point I'm contacting the PUC, CA State Attorney Gen'ls office, and I have a few childhood friends and former coworkers who are attorneys so we'll see what happens next.  This is outrageous that we should have to put up with this. 

I asked about plenty of things, and was lied to about every one of them, including the VOIP system which I never would have allowed in my house.   That's a security nightmare from the word go.  I've had to install hundreds of dollars worth of equipment to keep these ATT monkeys out of my network, and now I've also had to spend countless hours extracting data from other devices that were left vulnerable by this crappy VOIP network that the cute little pregnant girl on my doorstep lied to me about and sold me, after I asked her about it and she sold me down the river, and lied to me about the channel lineup and just about everything else. 

And now I'm stuck paying $306 per month???  At the beginning of 2011 it was only $184, and now ATT is now refusing to renegotiate rates and is now telling me that I have to start to think about downgrading services if I want to pay less? 

I live about a 3 minute walk from the library, that's always been free, and I've never had to pay unless I wanted to print something or make a photocopy. 

And they have a gigantic section of DVDs to check out for 3 weeks at a time?  or 6 weeks?  It's free. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

I have an Sony str dn-1010 receiver, Vizio E550i TV, Sony Blu-ray player BDP-S5200, Sony VCR SLV-N51, Onkyo cd changer DX-C390 and a Directv Genie HR44. I can get everything to work except the VCR, I hope you can help me out.

Thank you,

James [edited for privacy-please do not post personal or unique information such as but not limited to full names, employee ID numbers, email addresses, phone numbers, account numbers, etc.]

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

7 years ago

What do you mean when you say "everything to work except the VCR." What does the VCR do instead of working?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.