flexy633_1's profile

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

Tuesday, June 1st, 2010 11:40 PM

Help Installing VCR, stereo receiver, and DVD

Hello everyone!  We had the AT&T tech out here on April 26 to install our U-Verse system.  However, none of our components (i.e. VCR, DVD player, stereo receiver, or stereo speakers) were hooked up yet (they weren't unpacked).  He just installed the AT&T receiver to our HDTV.  We have a brand new Phillips 42" HDTV.  The VCR is a late 90's Sony SLV-N71.  The DVD player is a 2005 Sony DVPN5V57P.  I have these hooked up to a Technics SA-EX300 receiver from the mid-90's powering some 901 Bose speakers which have their own equalizer.

As you can guess, there are many wires everywhere.  On top of that we have an early 90's Fisher cassette player/recorder.  They all worked fine when we had Comcast basic service (no set up box). 

My boyfriend is losing his mind and I'm losing my patience because he cannot get this setup.  He bought one HDMI calbe and tried to connect it from the TV to the AT&T receiver and he put the source for the TV to HDMI1 and the TV flashes the picture for a split second and then, shows what souce it's on.  He tried it on HDMI 2, then 3 and it does the same thing. 

He cannot get the VCR and DVD connected either.  Can someone provide a step by step connection guide since AT&T is worthless and they want to send someone out here for $300 to hook it all up.  I would really appreciate your help.  Oh, and the book provided by AT&T doesn't help.  Obviously, otherwise we wouldn't have a bunch of people coming on this message board asking for assistance.

Thanks!

Joanne

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

No need for the professional installers. 

He was able to get it all working using Some Joe's instructions.  Since we purchased a new Blu Ray DVD player, he had to modify the instructions from Joe.  Now he's going to reconfigure the speakers because the sound is strange with the one center speaker that we have (however, we have no subwoofer or surround sound system).  The voices are coming out of that center speaker while the background noise/music, etc. is coming out of the two Bose speakers.  He's going to disconnect the center speaker and reconfigure the Bose speakers. 

Thanks to everyone here for all of your help.  Some Joe, if there was a way to get you out here to help set everything up, you can bet your hat that I would pay you to do it!

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

12 years ago

Sweet! Smiley Happy  Glad that you did finally get everything working!

The dialogue coming out of the center speaker is normal -- this is the way that 5.1 audio is supposed to work.  It centralizes the dialogue right near the screen so that background sound effects, music, etc. take advantage of the stereo effects of the front left/front right speaker placement.

I would advise not removing the center speaker since it is designed to work that way, especially since you now have a Blu-Ray player which will have extremely good audio on most discs.

Also, don't test the audio using a U-Verse SD channel, since those are only 2-channel audio.  Test with a 5.1 Blu-Ray disc or at minimum, a U-Verse HD channel that has 5.1 audio.  Those will illustrate how the system is processing sound.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

He's already in the process of changing it and removing the center speaker.  I guess we shall see how it sounds.  Yeah, I know that's how it's supposed to work with the center speaker as my boyfriend said the same thing as you.  But, it bothers me and hurts my right ear.  I also cannot understand what the people are saying that well when it's coming out of the center speaker. 

Maybe my ears are strange or {Inappropriate content removed}, but I also have problems with surround sound and I cannot stand how the sound is in a movie theatre when it's coming at all different directions.  I can't stand surround sound!!!  I know, I'm weird.  LOL

He's going to kill me if I tell him to change it back with the center speaker.  He's doing the setup with the microphone thing that you put on a tripod in the center of the room right now. 

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

Update.  We bought a 7.1 surround sound system by Onyko and my boyfriend will be hooking the speakers up today or tomorrow.  He and I agreed that it would be better to have this receiver work at what it was intended to do and that is to provide a home theater experience.  I can't wait to see how it sounds!

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

I have an Onkyo receiver with 7.1 feeding 7 Bose double cubes.  I pieced this together so it has 3 Bose Accoustimas modules and a Klipse subwoofer.  I used HDMI from the DVR to the tv and optical from the DVR to the receiver.  I have HDMI from the receiver to tv.  I also have a blu-ray DVD with HDMI to the receiver.  I have a Roku with HDMI to the receiver.  This way, I can watch tv without the sound system and use the sound system for movies and sports.  I always use the sound system with the DVD and Roku.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

I'm trying to find out how we can watch the tv with just the tv speakers without turning the entire entertainment system on.  We have the tv with HDMI going to the receiver too along with the AT&T box.

Expert

• 

23.3K Messages

12 years ago

@flexy633 wrote:

I'm trying to find out how we can watch the tv with just the tv speakers without turning the entire entertainment system on.  We have the tv with HDMI going to the receiver too along with the AT&T box.

You can use one of the other outputs from the stb, like the composite, svhs, coax, or component connections.  And connect them to the corresponding inputs on your tv.  You will also need to connect the red and white audio outputs to the tv from the stb if you use any outputs other than the coax one.  Then you will be able to listen to the speakers in your tv.

Guru

• 

1.1K Messages

12 years ago

Read my post above your's.

@flexy633 wrote:

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

11 years ago

Going crazy here!!! Not tech savy at all!  Here is what I have:

1) Emerson DVD player w/video cassette recorder (EWD 2203);

2) RCA Audio/Video Receiver (STAV - 3970); and

3) Sanyo HDTV LCD (DP 32640).  These are the components of my home entertainment center with speakers in the ceiling and one center speaker on top of the home entertainment cabinet.

Had these hooked up prior to getting the Sanyo HDTV and installing U-Verse.  They weren't reattached by the technician and I need step by step instructions if I am going to get them re-installed correctly.  Your assistance would be sincerely appreciated!!!  Thank you so much!!!

Sincerely, Linda

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

lindaw76107- There are multiple ways to connect based on device capabilities and how you want to use them.

Best thing is to connect U-verse STB direct to TV via HDMI for HD.

To watch DVDs connect that to another input on the TV.

If you want to record to the VCR connect yellow/red/white from the STB to the VCR,

To get sound to the receiver connect red/white from the STB to the receiver. Same for DVD player.

This selects viewing on the TV. Mute TV for receiver sound.

You can record what you watch on u-verse on the VCR.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.