TheKingfish's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Saturday, May 4th, 2013 3:19 AM

HD Viewing Area

I am new to both HDTV product and U-verse, and need a short primer on what is considered the ‘normal viewing’ area with this combination.  Originally I watched full-screen; the TV viewing area utilized in full.  I then ordered up the HD signal and the screen went to the dark band above/below, with some channels showing a full four bands; one on each side.  The former is a 20% reduction; the latter a 35% reduction of viewing area.  Both significant.  Of course, the old less-resolution pre-HD view was 0% reduction.

Is this lessened area a normal function of HD or are there TV/U-verse remedial changes that can be made?  In other words, is this the deal or am I missing something?  If the latter -- this would not be the first time in life that I missed something........

Thank you,

TheKingfish

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

In order to receive an HD picture, you will need to connect the U-verse receiver to the HDTV with either an HDMI cable or component cables (red, green, blue).  Using a coaxial cable will result in the issues that you are reporting..  

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

11 years ago

A few questions:

1. Are you seeing this while watching the HD channels (1000 - 1999) or the SD channels (2 - 999)?

2. How is the U-verse receiver connected to your U-verse receiver? (HDMI cable, component cables, composite cables, or coaxial cable)

3. What aspect ratio is set on the U-verse receiver?  (1080i, 720p, Widscreen standard definition or 4:3 standard definition)

4. What is the brand of your HDTV?  What is the Screen setting on your TV?

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

I appreciate your feedback/assistance.  Answers:

1) Yes, the 2/4 banded reduced-viewing area comes with the HD channels (>1000).  The fully-utilized viewing area comes with the SD channels (<1000).  I should add; the SD view cuts off portions on the left and right.  In other words, the HD replicates a letter-box movie (full content) and the SD is similar to a pan-and-scan (full vertical content is seen; full horizontal content is not seen).

2) The U-verse receiver feeds the TV via coaxial cable.  That input is the official ‘TV’ designation on the television, per the source function.

3) The U-verse receiver aspect ratio is set to 1080i.

4) The TV is a 2012 Samsung, model PN51E550.  Its screen setting is 16:9 (other settings available are Zoom1 and Zoom2).

Thank you,

TheKingfish

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Your suggestion did the trick; switching from coax to HDMI.  Best connectivity for me had been undefined because my previous TV was not equipped with the newer input type.

Thank you,

TheKingfish

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.