HD Compression Here To Stay?

Highlighted
Explorer

Re: HD Compression Here To Stay?

[ Edited ]

They're launching from scratch in the Kansas city area and plan on expanding in the near future to even parts of Missouri.  Google has the money to invest.  Fiber optics is the future of communication so it'll be the new standard eventually.  Google wants to start it's slice of the pie now and I wouldn't be surprised if Google ends up being a huge competitor.  Obviously their resources are greater than most service providers regardless of them being new on the scene.  They have the advantage of having no pre-existing infrastructure.

Message 46 of 50 (1,959 Views)
ACE - Expert

DRN94 wrote:

Google Fiber... They haven't expanded much and it's only experimental but if their business model is good they'd easily have the capacity to expand in the not so distant future.  ...

Not only have they not expanded much, they are only expanding into neighborhoods where they get a certain level of committment to those two year contracts.  This even though they've gotten sweetheart franchise deals which their competitors in the area are now complaining about not creating a level playing field.

I'd like to see the Google Customer Forums where people in neighborhoods that can't reach committment howl about it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 47 of 50 (1,910 Views)
Scholar

Has anyone noticed a marked improvement in HD quality over the past few weeks. I had been having trouble with slow response on the DVR. Channel would change, no joke, 5 seconds after I clicked the remote and reaction time for everything was like a turtle.

I decided to power down and reboot RG and DVR and voila, i suddenly have an HD picture that almost "pops" as much as my old TWC did before I switched to U-Verse.

It is actually fun to watch the depth and detail..and no smudgy movements on sports anymore.

Hope it's here to stay!

Message 48 of 50 (1,424 Views)
Scholar

New Uverse subscriber. I understand about the bit-rate too. It is still a good pq if you ask me, though I wish it was a little higher. But compared to my former Charter, the box makes up by being able to do other things.

My only request is, if possible, let us have higher bit rates if we have less boxes. For example, I have two boxes so it would be cool if I had a better bitrate than those that have 4.

But it's a first world problem, so if I want excellent PQ, I'll go to my Blu-Ray players!Smiley Happy

Message 49 of 50 (1,166 Views)
Contributor

whitav8 wrote:
I agree that the visual artifacts -like blurry halos around each football player except for closeups - really take away from the HD experience. It's not acceptable at a distance - it should be like a "window" into reality - as it does with other providers and blue-ray. It's not really HD

2 years after the OP, Im a new subscriber with using a Sony 55" KDL-55W950B with the wireless box ISB7005. I looked in the forum becasue I noticed halos around football players and facial tones  on announcers are blurry. Moving players are pixelated. The turf is the worst.  My Samsung UN46C6500 is directly connected but has similar issues.  Scores and news banners look great though.  With Charter, I felt like I was sitting in the stadium but was unhappy with them.

I plan on calling to get a support person out to check it out.

Any updates from OP DRN94?

Message 50 of 50 (496 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.