For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
CPav's profile

Tutor

• 

14 Messages

Thursday, February 16th, 2012 8:45 PM

Fox Sports Midwest - Cardinals Blackout 2012

Have the issues that led to 20 Cardinals games being blacked out last season been resolved?

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@bri_man_65 wrote:

Since it was a multi year contract, and FoxSports would not know what and how many games they would be broadcasting in future years, I doubt that kind of deteail would be in the contract.    But since AT&T is not suing FSMW for breach of contract there must be some wording that allows for this stunt of blacking out certain games.    (Kinda like AT&Ts terms of up to certain speeds for internet, changing of package pricing each year... yada yada yada.) 

Well, FSMW is providing alternate programming to U-verse in place of the 20 games.  Thus, a breach of the contract would not occur.  The agreement would be that programming is provide on FSMW as opposed to a specific count as to the number of games that will be provided.  

The exact number of games that will be broadcast on FSMW would be difficult to predict because some games may selected during the course of the season to be broadcast on ESPN or Fox.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Why is U-verse the only carrier NOT showing all of the FSMW broadcasts? It's been over a year and this issue still isn't resolved? And AT&T can provide absolutely no answers to any questions raised. The only alternative is to find another carrier that is responsive enough to its customers.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

Absolutely not resolved and it's impossible to get a straight answer out of ANYONE at AT&T. I've had it with this silly nonsense. I'm finding another carrier who is responsive to its customers.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

I've tried and tried to get an answer or information about the lack of Cardinals games and it's impossible.  I called the 800 number and spoke to some young gentleman in another country somewhere in the world who didn't have the slightest idea of what I was asking or even what channel FSM is.  He did guarantee me compensation for not being able to watch all of the games but wouldn't commit to what that compensation might be.  My advice is to get out and get out now and find a carrier who cares about its customers.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@bbergholtz wrote:
Absolutely not resolved and it's impossible to get a straight answer out of ANYONE at AT&T. I've had it with this silly nonsense. I'm finding another carrier who is responsive to its customers.

Actually, the dispute is pretty clear.  Beginning last season, FSMW acquired an additional 20 Cardinal games per season that were previously broadcast on KSDK (Channel 5).  FSMW has requested a surcharge above the existing contract amount with AT&T in order to provider those games to U-verse.  AT&T feel that the games should be provided as part of the existing contract and does not feel that the extra fees are warranted because those extra costs would be passed on the U-verse customers.  The sides don't see things the same way.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/dan-caesar/cardinals-games-blacked-out-on-at-t-u-verse/article_0473c53c-7a1f-11e1-96f4-0019bb30f31a.html

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

This is the scenario St Louis residents are faced with.  1/8 the the Cardinals games (20 out of 162), which were previously available on "free" tv, are now only available on a cable station.  The cable network asked the cable providers for an additional fee to carry the extra games.  The cable provider won't pay the additional fee for those games.  Now Cardinals' fans with ATT UVerse cannot watch the 20 games in question.  

What if 2 of the 16 Dallas Cowboys games were taken off Fox and put on Fox Sports in Dallas?  Wouldn't Fox Sports want more money from its cable systems?  Wouldn't a Dallas-based company (ATT) pay the fee to carry those extra games?  

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Mike Liut wrote:

1. Wouldn't Fox Sports want more money from its cable systems?  

Wouldn't a Dallas-based company (ATT) pay the fee to carry those extra games?  

1. Based on history, yes

2. Based on history, no

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Fans would demand they see their beloved "Boys play. It would be a public relations nightmare for ATT. They would have to cave to public opinion.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

@Mike Liut wrote:
Fans would demand they see their beloved "Boys play. It would be a public relations nightmare for ATT. They would have to cave to public opinion.

I doubt that they would cave to public opinion.

U-verse has still not picked up the Longhorn Network despite the fact that they are headquartered in Texas, provide service to the Austin market, and have more customers in Texas than any other state.  If you visited their Facebook page last year, you would have seen more angry messages about  U-verse not carrying the Longhorn Network than about not carrying the additional 20 Cardinal games on FSMW.  I mean what other state would you think they would add the Longhorn Network to other than Texas?

I have not noticed AT&T caving into public opinion on these types of issues.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

No, this is 100% NOT resolved and you will miss 20 games if you have u-verse.  2 have already been blacked out after yesterday's game.   AT&T does not talk about and wants to keep everyone in the dark.  See the link below for the most up to date info out there:

http://www.bnd.com/2012/04/10/v-print/2135601/atandt-u-verse-subscribers-to.html

Per the article, this is 100% a u-verse issue, they are the only local provider who won't pay FSM the additional fee for these game.  The AT&T sales people tell everyone that they think this will be resolved soon, which is completely untrue.  That was same time LAST YEAR.  Do what I am doing and speak with your wallet. 

Charter is cheaper by quite a bit for the same service level AND all the Cardinal games...so i guess the AT&T business model is crappy and passes more costs to the subscribers.  YOU CAN GET ALL GAMES, just get any other provider besides AT&T...

I bet they delete this post...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.