Steamer Bill's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 7th, 2013 1:14 AM

Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

11 years ago

@Steamer Bill wrote:

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

I don't get any severe weather alerts from Weather on Demand (227).  Every alert I've seen for the last year, has the Exit Message chosen, all you have to do is press OK, usually I don't hear anything I exit so quick. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

10 years ago

@gameboy82 wrote:

I don't pay my cable company to alert me about the weather, especially as loudly and inaccurately as UVERSE does (it's so loud I thought the fire alarm had gone off, at first). I don't care if it's the way they designed it and it doesn't matter how many excuses people can dream up, there should be a way to disable it.

You can't disable EAS alerts with ANY TV provider.  The alerts are mandated by the government.  I suggest that you write your congressman.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

11 years ago

I agree! If the weather looks bad, then I'll start checking out my local news channels. I don't need a loud...no..A BLARING HORN!!!! telling me what is going on and waking up the guy down the block from his afternoon nap. I think the mute button or channel change works though. Maybe it's the exit button, but I do know there's a "quit" option. Still, a "quiet" or "silent" option would be fantastic.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

11 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@Steamer Bill wrote:

I don't get any severe weather alerts from Weather on Demand (227).  Every alert I've seen for the last year, has the Exit Message chosen, all you have to do is press OK, usually I don't hear anything I exit so quick. Smiley Very Happy

Chris

Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition

You know Chris, I always try to see all points of views, before commenting on posts but the two that posted before you, must be stuck in a time machine, back to 2010.  Back then, the alerts were LOUD and not easily cancelled by the okay button.  Not sure I follow their mindsets at all.  If a user COULD disable the alert and they get injured by a tornado that they were unaware of, guess who'd they blame?  AT&T.  No doubt!

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

I like to know when severe weather is heading my way.  I don't always have my tv on the local channels so when I get a notification I check the effected counties and see where it is.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

@mibrnsurg wrote:

@Steamer Bill wrote:

Chris

That's great if you're sitting directly in front of the TV watching it at all times. When that doesn't work is pretty much any other time. Such as... when you're falling asleep on the couch, or you go to the bathroom and can't stop in the middle to run in and hit a button on the remote. My alerts are EXTREMELY LOUD. There's a storm passing through my area right now. FOUR times now I've stepped out of the room for a minute, only to have the EAS system blaring in the next room. I've got a kid in the other room trying to get to sleep and guess what keeps waking him up? It doesn't matter how much I turn the TV down, the alerts are still way too loud. There should be an option to adjust the volume of these. This is my only complaint with my Uverse service so far, but it's a serious complaint. This sucks.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

It sounds like the alert is doing exactly what it's designed to do.  Wake you up/alert you.  Think of the alternative......what if there was no alert, or you had the volume turned down and you were in the restroom or dozing, and there was an event that could cause you loss of life or property and it happened to hit your area/residence?  You would have wished you hadn't turned the volume down, right?  Well, provided you survived the event.

I guess I'm just saying that's what the alerts are designed for......to do exactly what your complaining about.  It appears to be working as designed. 

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@BeeBeeSA wrote:

It sounds like the alert is doing exactly what it's designed to do.  Wake you up/alert you.  Think of the alternative......what if there was no alert, or you had the volume turned down and you were in the restroom or dozing, and there was an event that could cause you loss of life or property and it happened to hit your area/residence?  You would have wished you hadn't turned the volume down, right?  Well, provided you survived the event.

I guess I'm just saying that's what the alerts are designed for......to do exactly what your complaining about.  It appears to be working as designed. 

BeeBee: Part of the issue seems to be that some users are experiencing louder alerts than others.  It sounds like an issue with a particular VHO, or VHO's.  They should be loud enough to make you notice but not enough to give you a heart attack.  Our overly loud alerts were fixed 3 yaers ago.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

The first time my phone with off with an Amber Alert it scared the bejeezus out of me, it was soon followed by 1/2 my office's phones going off. We were all scrambling to disable the alert since I work in a call center.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I don't pay my cable company to alert me about the weather, especially as loudly and inaccurately as UVERSE does (it's so loud I thought the fire alarm had gone off, at first). I don't care if it's the way they designed it and it doesn't matter how many excuses people can dream up, there should be a way to disable it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.