Steamer Bill's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 7th, 2013 1:14 AM

Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

How does the EAS work?

The FCC works with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's National Weather Service to implement the EAS at the national level. Only the President determines when the EAS will be activated at the national level, and has delegated the administration of this function to FEMA. Accordingly, FEMA activates the national EAS, and directs national EAS tests and exercises. The NWS uses the EAS on a local and statewide basis to provide the public with alerts and warnings regarding dangerous weather and other emergency conditions.

The EAS allows participating providers to send and receive emergency information quickly and automatically, even if their facilities are unattended. If one link in the system for spreading emergency alert information is broken, members of the public have multiple alternate sources of warning. EAS equipment also provides a method for automatic interruption of regular programming, and in certain instances is able to relay emergency messages in languages other than English.

Only the President activates the EAS.   You that push these abusive warnings into our homes are totally interpreting what this says and abusing the translation. The administration is turned over to FEMA, but, that doesn't mean FEMA and the states have the right to drive us crazy with weather alerts.  I hope we can sue you guys for this abuse very soon if I can get enough signatures for a class act lawsuits.  ATT, if you don't stop, you be the first on my list!

jax

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

So no one knows how to disable the ear splitting sound other than pushing the OK button which you can't do if you are in the shower, or out of the house.  Meanwhile your pets, which you leave the TV on to help drowned out outside sounds, go nuts.  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

These are way too loud and so frequent. They're constantly going off during the summer that I don't pay attention to the warnings anymore, much like a car alarm going off outside. And the thing too as well is that once you press the "ok" button, sure enough the exact same alarm goes off a minute later. And then there's usually another set of alerts 10 minutes later. And sure enough 10 minutes after that. I now end up just turning off my receiver. I recommend people do the same. I'm sure advertisers will have some say in ATT unnecessarily annoying its customers that they have some push on this. 

I've lived in Texas and NYC before Chicago and I never experienced weather alerts this annoying. And I really don't need a weather alert to wake me up because guess what, if there's a dangerous thunderstorm brewing outside, the THUNDER will wake me up. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Yea and what about those of us with work in the morning and infant children with the babytv channel on all night to distract them.  I'd like them to sleep through the storm which they do this way until that LOUD ALERT BLARES SCARING THEM EVEN WORSE than the thunderstorm.

Please enable us to disable this like we disable air bags for young kids.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.7K Messages

6 years ago

Oddly enough, I got several on phone last night via the Weather Channel app and I'm sure any built-in feature.

I didn't get any via U-Verse, even though the local channels were in non-stop weather mode from last least 5:30 and ending around 6:45.

(Edit to say that I see that I posted the same thing back in May of 2014.)

I do agree that they should be non-existent on some channels like the baby/kids ones. Having them on local stations seems a bit redundant.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

U r very lucky then because I live in texas and between lastnight up to now I can't even count how many times the stupid thing has gone off as well as waking my sleeping two year old from naps and bedtime multiple times so really has been very frustrating and aggravating especially due to how loud they r when the go off and it doesn't make a difference really as to what the volume on the tv is at the time of the warning when it goes off.... I get they r mandatory but with xfinity they we never this frequently and definitely not nearly this loud and never woke the baby up over and over like this, I mean just in the time I took to write this(maybe 5 minutes max) it has gone off three times which I call that overly excessive especially with it not even being a new message it's the same alert with no new or changes information so entirely unnecessary which makes an aggravating and frustrating problem all the more aggravating and frustrating not to mention beyhond ridiculous..... 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.