Steamer Bill's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 7th, 2013 1:14 AM

Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@TUCHA6644 wrote:

Not only is the Test annoying.   Bad part is when there actually is an Weather Alert for our area, there is no warning on Uverse.   Pretty sad, like crying wolf except when the wolf is at the door.  We have had several alerts in the last 3 days here, and not one alert on the TV.    Local stations just beep and post the alert at the bottom of the screen, and I have never seen them test their alerts.  ??????    

Well @TUCHA6644 I'm partly with you.  The weekly test are required, for each TV provider (Comcast, Time Warner) and so on.  So I'm not with you there.  Press okay and you get your TV back in like 2-3 seconds.  AND local TV stations do, do EBS tests but I think that they are monthly and maybe only on their OTA feed.  So again - not with you on testing.   BUT, last year, Indianapolis had a tornado warning and NO warning through U-Verse.  I'm with you there that the test work as designed BUT not the real deal.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Well the test doesn't seem to matter if there is not alert when there is
a weather condition that should have an alert.. I say what is the point
of a test if only the test work and when an alert is needed NOTHING.
That is like giving a test and no grade. I am sick of it... I get on
an alert on my computer and my phone and nothing on the TV when really
needed just multiple weekly test, I have has many as 3 in a day. Makes no
sense.. Maybe Uverse need to check out their program for the test. Even
the national test is monthly on the 1st Monday of the month OH and BTW they
do alert when it is need. I just HATE THIS part of Uverse. I have
had Direct & DISH and never had an alert...

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

9 years ago

Yesterday 4/9/15, this area had 5  alerts,  2  Thunderstorms, 1 Flash Floods, 2 Tornado Warnings and 1 Tornado Watch.    Received each one on my phone and on the computer (though WeatherBug).  NOTHING ON THE UVERSE TV, ALTHOUGH THEY HAD TESTED THEIR ALERT SYSTEM THIS WEEK.    Not sure why bother to test something that never works.     If it would actually sound a "REAL" alert, the Loud Annoying test (which are not only week but can be several times in one day or several times in one week) would at least have a reason to be done.   Right now worthless.    Can't Uverse do something.   I have called several times, of course no results, never not them on DISH or DIRECT..  I guess even complaining is not worth my time...:(

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

all these people defending the alerts are probably democrat-voters. people who expect someone else to manage their well-being.

uverse isn't free, public, broadcast media. its a service i PAY for and i should be the one in control of what alerts i get. or at very least HOW i get them.

like some of the other users here, i often have the tv on (at a listenable volume) but am not facing it. or may even be in another room.

here are my complaints:

- while i suppose it should be audible. it should not be louder than the programming. simply being there is jarring enough. it doesn't need to wake people in other rooms - OR next door!
- they happen like every few minutes. once every half hour would be MORE than adequate.

as a side note. in my 40+ years of watching tv, the grand total of situations where my plans or behavior was modified based on a general tv weather alert = ZERO

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

8 years ago

@wgranz wrote:

all these people defending the alerts are probably democrat-voters. people who expect someone else to manage their well-being.

Smiley LOL  That's a new one!  Thanks for the early morning laugh.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

U-verse is merely displaying the alerts that the local/state/federal governments are asking them to.

If you have a problem with the suitability and frequency of the alerts, I'd suggest you take them to the level of government responsible for the alert you're receiving. 

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

8 years ago

@wgranz wrote:

So, by that logic, can I infer that Republicans don't care about their safety? They don't care about what's going on?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

All these alerts are not a government requirement. The only alert that is required is a Presidential Alert when the President gets on the system to alert us of a national emergency.  I've been able to turn off the weather and Amber alerts on my smart phone.  I should be able to do that on ATT Uverse also.  I am currently sitting in my home office trying to work.  I have my TV set to one of the music channels.  It is pouring outside and I've gotten blasted 4 times within the last hour with a severe t-storm/flash flooding alert.  I'm not in an area that will get flooded. It is a real pain to get up out of my seat, go into another room, and turn off the overly loud alert.  If it wasn't so loud I'd just let it continue to the end.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

8 years ago

@JefferMC wrote:

U-verse is merely displaying the alerts that the local/state/federal governments are asking them to.

I have repeated what I said for clarity since it was apparently misinterpreted.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

I would be okay if a tornado or even very high winds were in the alert... but I keep getting the alert about a freeze warning... dang it, it's snowing outside... I could guess that it was freezing.... It just seems that they are going to far... This is more of an intrusion than a warning.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.