Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Contributor

Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

Message 1 of 47 (12,660 Views)
Contributor

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

yep, this totally sucks, is SUPER LOUD and happens repeatedly.  also the warning is "thunderstorm."

i don't care.  not an emergency.  will take no action, just super annoying.

comcast doesn't have these so obviously they are not necessary.  totally weird and frustrating this is a feature which apparently cannot be turned off.

Message 16 of 47 (9,660 Views)
ACE - Master

JLivermore wrote:

yep, this totally sucks, is SUPER LOUD and happens repeatedly.  also the warning is "thunderstorm."

comcast doesn't have these so obviously they are not necessary.  totally weird and frustrating this is a feature which apparently cannot be turned off.

It's not a "feature" it is a requirement.  If Comcast wasn't doing this, they would be in violation of the law.  If you feel it is too loud, I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 47 (9,566 Views)
Scholar

JLivermore wrote:

Comcast DOES HAVE the same EAS warning messages, except that when they happen (testing or real), the entire cable box LOCKS UP, and any DVR recordings happening get stopped and then restarted -- so there are two separate recordings -- AND you lose any program during that gap.

With U-verse, everything stays the same, except for the "Continue" or "Exit" options, which were a welcome surprise when I came to U-verse.

All of you who have a problem with this, hate to relay this information ........ but these EAS warnings will follow you wherever you go -- not just on your TV:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/com/weatherreadynation/wea.html

Message 18 of 47 (9,559 Views)
ACE - Master

I never had that happen with Comcast but then again, I only was with them up until 2008 with like v3 of their digital box.    There for a while U-Verse did have its alerts messed up, wjhere I would get an alert for a county 100 miles away.  Also, some areas are experiencing louder than should be tones and IIRC, a fix at the VHO was needed.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 47 (9,542 Views)
ACE - Professor

We had bad weather last night and NO severe weather alert!

Instead, we had all three news channels on full coverage for over two hours.
Message 20 of 47 (9,488 Views)
ACE - Master

[ Edited ]

baseballisback wrote:
We had bad weather last night and NO severe weather alert!

Instead, we had all three news channels on full coverage for over two hours.

hey bbis: Are you saying that there were warnings and/or  watches and they were not passed through via U-Verse?

I now recall a Severe Thunderstorm warning for Marion County (Indianapoolis) last Sunday night and I do not recall the EBS alert going off.  Hmmmm.

Message 21 of 47 (9,469 Views)

I've never had an EAS for a watch, only for warnings.  With that said, it has always been for severe thunderstorm warnings, not just they typical thunderstorms.  I don't remember what the NWS uses to classify it as severe, but I know it involves extreme wind speeds and hail.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 22 of 47 (9,454 Views)

I don't see a solution here.

Message 23 of 47 (9,450 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

jamesteixeira wrote:

I don't see a solution here.

If you are complaining that the community accepted solution does not apply, you would be wrong.  @texasguy37 gave what is "the best answer:"

You can't disable EAS alerts with ANY TV provider.  The alerts are mandated by the government.  I suggest that you write your congressman.

Message 24 of 47 (9,440 Views)
Contributor

Government mandated alert is yet one more intrusive feature of big government. If this is so important, let's just blank out the channel and show just the alert. Better yet, why not implant a government alert interface in our brain. Yes, I'm being trollish and absurd, but I think those alerts are not worth the trouble considering the number of people that are not affected. 

Message 25 of 47 (8,457 Views)
Mentor

It's not the fact I get alerted about severe weather (I've never got alerted about severe weather)
Message 26 of 47 (7,135 Views)
Mentor

As I was saying. I understand being warned over severe weather even though in about 3 years of using uverse I've yet to be.
Message 27 of 47 (7,132 Views)
ACE - Master

klepp0906 wrote:
It's not the fact I get alerted about severe weather (I've never got alerted about severe weather)

Either hit the "Exit" button or the "Mute" button as quickly as possible. 

I consider it a challenge.

Message 28 of 47 (7,131 Views)
Mentor

Okay.... So you can't edit your post AND you can't use return to skip down a line. Awesome!! Incoming run-on paragraph. Let me try one last time, third is the charm right? SO I don't get severe weather warnings, atleast not yet (in 3-4 years) what I DO get is severe weather warning TESTS with alarming frequency and volume!!! Test your shut in house, not on everyone else's tv!!! It's annoying, it scares me every time, (currently have a migraine and almost dropped the remote) and worst of all I have a 3 day old 4500 dollar tv and I wouldn't doubt this just blew my speakers at HALF volume which is fine for regular tv watching. Disable the tests or give us a way to do so. Ridiculous. If my speakers are blown I'll be in touch.
Message 29 of 47 (7,130 Views)
ACE - Expert

klepp0906 wrote:
Okay.... So you can't edit your post AND you can't use return to skip down a line. Awesome!! Incoming run-on paragraph. Let me try one last time, third is the charm right? SO I don't get severe weather warnings, atleast not yet (in 3-4 years) what I DO get is severe weather warning TESTS with alarming frequency and volume!!! Test your shut in house, not on everyone else's tv!!! It's annoying, it scares me every time, (currently have a migraine and almost dropped the remote) and worst of all I have a 3 day old 4500 dollar tv and I wouldn't doubt this just blew my speakers at HALF volume which is fine for regular tv watching. Disable the tests or give us a way to do so. Ridiculous. If my speakers are blown I'll be in touch.

Don't know what problem you have, but I'll hit Enter 2 times to go 2 spaces down.

Just like this, it works.

Turn your volume down, they are not that loud it'll blow out your speakers, at least here in metro Detroit. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 30 of 47 (7,119 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.