Steamer Bill's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, June 7th, 2013 1:14 AM

Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

I find it very coincidental that there have been two posts tonight by first time posters complaining about the severe weather alerts on U-Verse on threads that had not been used since December, 2013.

Hwell posted on a thread that had last been used on December 19, 2013. He registered for this forum at 6:33 PM today

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-turn-off-or-at-least-mute-those-horrible-severe-weather/m-p/3951132/highlight/true#M111157

Now we have Gameboy2, who registered at 7:51 PM today, posting on this thread that had not been used since December 25, 2013.

Coincidence or the same person posting under two nicknames?

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Scholar

• 

373 Messages

10 years ago

I would be more worried about your fire alarm being set off by noise. Sounds like a faulty detector.

Scholar

• 

118 Messages

10 years ago

I don't know about Weather On Demand, but I do know U-Verse and every Cable, Satellite, IPTV, Radio and Television station, now even smartphones are equipped with EAS. Emergency Alert System.

In regards to Cable and U-Verse, they usually only go off during a Tornado Warning, possibly a Flash Flood Warning or Amber Alert. I've never seen them for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Usually Severe Thunderstorm Warning EAS activations are rare except with smaller local TV and Radio stations.

There is also the state and NWS monthly tests that usually have to air. 

For whatever reason, Cable and IPTV's EAS tends to be louder, sometimes distorted.

Here's a throwback, before EAS, cable systems would do this during an EAS alert. Scroll to about :52 seconds into this video.

I saw this happen back in the late 90s when we had the old and much smaller Warner Cable. Once for a Tornado Warning and another time for a 911 Telephone Outage. A local official would be able to dial in and cut off the cable system's picture and give a message over the phone. This would be on every single channel. You'd just see a fuzz picture with the phone audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60RvhTfeiE0

Again, skip over to about :52  

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@jeremy1069fm wrote:

I don't know about Weather On Demand, but I do know U-Verse and every Cable, Satellite, IPTV, Radio and Television station, now even smartphones are equipped with EAS. Emergency Alert System.

In regards to Cable and U-Verse, they usually only go off during a Tornado Warning, possibly a Flash Flood Warning or Amber Alert. I've never seen them for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Usually Severe Thunderstorm Warning EAS activations are rare except with smaller local TV and Radio stations.

They happen quite frequently in our area, but then again, living in N. Texas we tend to get some very sever thunderstorms, I just had $3k worth of hail damage to my car from a storm last month.

There is also the state and NWS monthly tests that usually have to air. 

For whatever reason, Cable and IPTV's EAS tends to be louder, sometimes distorted.

Here's a throwback, before EAS, cable systems would do this during an EAS alert. Scroll to about :52 seconds into this video.

I saw this happen back in the late 90s when we had the old and much smaller Warner Cable. Once for a Tornado Warning and another time for a 911 Telephone Outage. A local official would be able to dial in and cut off the cable system's picture and give a message over the phone. This would be on every single channel. You'd just see a fuzz picture with the phone audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60RvhTfeiE0

Again, skip over to about :52  

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

yep, this totally sucks, is SUPER LOUD and happens repeatedly.  also the warning is "thunderstorm."

i don't care.  not an emergency.  will take no action, just super annoying.

comcast doesn't have these so obviously they are not necessary.  totally weird and frustrating this is a feature which apparently cannot be turned off.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@JLivermore wrote:

yep, this totally sucks, is SUPER LOUD and happens repeatedly.  also the warning is "thunderstorm."

comcast doesn't have these so obviously they are not necessary.  totally weird and frustrating this is a feature which apparently cannot be turned off.

It's not a "feature" it is a requirement.  If Comcast wasn't doing this, they would be in violation of the law.  If you feel it is too loud, I would recommend that you send a private message to the escalation team at AT&T Customer Care, and someone will get in touch with you.

Scholar

• 

129 Messages

10 years ago

@JLivermore wrote:

Comcast DOES HAVE the same EAS warning messages, except that when they happen (testing or real), the entire cable box LOCKS UP, and any DVR recordings happening get stopped and then restarted -- so there are two separate recordings -- AND you lose any program during that gap.

With U-verse, everything stays the same, except for the "Continue" or "Exit" options, which were a welcome surprise when I came to U-verse.

All of you who have a problem with this, hate to relay this information ........ but these EAS warnings will follow you wherever you go -- not just on your TV:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/com/weatherreadynation/wea.html

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

I never had that happen with Comcast but then again, I only was with them up until 2008 with like v3 of their digital box.    There for a while U-Verse did have its alerts messed up, wjhere I would get an alert for a county 100 miles away.  Also, some areas are experiencing louder than should be tones and IIRC, a fix at the VHO was needed.

ACE - Professor

• 

7.6K Messages

10 years ago

We had bad weather last night and NO severe weather alert!

Instead, we had all three news channels on full coverage for over two hours.

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@baseballisback wrote:
We had bad weather last night and NO severe weather alert!

Instead, we had all three news channels on full coverage for over two hours.

hey bbis: Are you saying that there were warnings and/or  watches and they were not passed through via U-Verse?

I now recall a Severe Thunderstorm warning for Marion County (Indianapoolis) last Sunday night and I do not recall the EBS alert going off.  Hmmmm.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.