Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Contributor

Disable Sever Weather Alerts

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.

Message 1 of 47 (12,646 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

I agree! If the weather looks bad, then I'll start checking out my local news channels. I don't need a loud...no..A BLARING HORN!!!! telling me what is going on and waking up the guy down the block from his afternoon nap. I think the mute button or channel change works though. Maybe it's the exit button, but I do know there's a "quit" option. Still, a "quiet" or "silent" option would be fantastic.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 47 (12,296 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by dhascall (ACE - Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts


Steamer Bill wrote:

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.


I don't get any severe weather alerts from Weather on Demand (227).  Every alert I've seen for the last year, has the Exit Message chosen, all you have to do is press OK, usually I don't hear anything I exit so quick. Smiley Very Happy

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 47 (12,275 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

[ Edited ]

mibrnsurg wrote:

Steamer Bill wrote:

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.


I don't get any severe weather alerts from Weather on Demand (227).  Every alert I've seen for the last year, has the Exit Message chosen, all you have to do is press OK, usually I don't hear anything I exit so quick. Smiley Very Happy

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more


You know Chris, I always try to see all points of views, before commenting on posts but the two that posted before you, must be stuck in a time machine, back to 2010.  Back then, the alerts were LOUD and not easily cancelled by the okay button.  Not sure I follow their mindsets at all.  If a user COULD disable the alert and they get injured by a tornado that they were unaware of, guess who'd they blame?  AT&T.  No doubt!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 47 (12,216 Views)

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

I like to know when severe weather is heading my way.  I don't always have my tv on the local channels so when I get a notification I check the effected counties and see where it is.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 5 of 47 (12,144 Views)
Contributor

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts


mibrnsurg wrote:

Steamer Bill wrote:

Is there a way to disable the Severe Weather Alerts I am receiving from Weather on Demand? I find them extremely irritating and annoying.


I don't get any severe weather alerts from Weather on Demand (227).  Every alert I've seen for the last year, has the Exit Message chosen, all you have to do is press OK, usually I don't hear anything I exit so quick. Smiley Very Happy

 

Chris


Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? 1-800-288-2020, After he gets acct info, press # a bunch of times, get a menu from Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more


That's great if you're sitting directly in front of the TV watching it at all times. When that doesn't work is pretty much any other time. Such as... when you're falling asleep on the couch, or you go to the bathroom and can't stop in the middle to run in and hit a button on the remote. My alerts are EXTREMELY LOUD. There's a storm passing through my area right now. FOUR times now I've stepped out of the room for a minute, only to have the EAS system blaring in the next room. I've got a kid in the other room trying to get to sleep and guess what keeps waking him up? It doesn't matter how much I turn the TV down, the alerts are still way too loud. There should be an option to adjust the volume of these. This is my only complaint with my Uverse service so far, but it's a serious complaint. This sucks.

Message 6 of 47 (10,893 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

It sounds like the alert is doing exactly what it's designed to do.  Wake you up/alert you.  Think of the alternative......what if there was no alert, or you had the volume turned down and you were in the restroom or dozing, and there was an event that could cause you loss of life or property and it happened to hit your area/residence?  You would have wished you hadn't turned the volume down, right?  Well, provided you survived the event.

 

I guess I'm just saying that's what the alerts are designed for......to do exactly what your complaining about.  It appears to be working as designed. 

 

   

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 47 (10,873 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts


BeeBeeSA wrote:

It sounds like the alert is doing exactly what it's designed to do.  Wake you up/alert you.  Think of the alternative......what if there was no alert, or you had the volume turned down and you were in the restroom or dozing, and there was an event that could cause you loss of life or property and it happened to hit your area/residence?  You would have wished you hadn't turned the volume down, right?  Well, provided you survived the event.

 

I guess I'm just saying that's what the alerts are designed for......to do exactly what your complaining about.  It appears to be working as designed. 

 

   


BeeBee: Part of the issue seems to be that some users are experiencing louder alerts than others.  It sounds like an issue with a particular VHO, or VHO's.  They should be loud enough to make you notice but not enough to give you a heart attack.  Our overly loud alerts were fixed 3 yaers ago.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 47 (10,831 Views)

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

The first time my phone with off with an Amber Alert it scared the bejeezus out of me, it was soon followed by 1/2 my office's phones going off. We were all scrambling to disable the alert since I work in a call center.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 9 of 47 (10,775 Views)
Contributor

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

I don't pay my cable company to alert me about the weather, especially as loudly and inaccurately as UVERSE does (it's so loud I thought the fire alarm had gone off, at first). I don't care if it's the way they designed it and it doesn't matter how many excuses people can dream up, there should be a way to disable it.

Message 10 of 47 (10,254 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by oufanindallas (Master)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts


gameboy82 wrote:

 

I don't pay my cable company to alert me about the weather, especially as loudly and inaccurately as UVERSE does (it's so loud I thought the fire alarm had gone off, at first). I don't care if it's the way they designed it and it doesn't matter how many excuses people can dream up, there should be a way to disable it.


You can't disable EAS alerts with ANY TV provider.  The alerts are mandated by the government.  I suggest that you write your congressman.

Message 11 of 47 (10,253 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

I find it very coincidental that there have been two posts tonight by first time posters complaining about the severe weather alerts on U-Verse on threads that had not been used since December, 2013.

 

Hwell posted on a thread that had last been used on December 19, 2013. He registered for this forum at 6:33 PM today

 

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-and-How-To/How-to-turn-off-or-at-least-mute-those-horrible-severe-...

 

Now we have Gameboy2, who registered at 7:51 PM today, posting on this thread that had not been used since December 25, 2013.

 

Coincidence or the same person posting under two nicknames?

 


Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

 

 

 

 

 

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 47 (10,246 Views)
Scholar

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

I would be more worried about your fire alarm being set off by noise. Sounds like a faulty detector.
Message 13 of 47 (10,203 Views)
Scholar

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts

I don't know about Weather On Demand, but I do know U-Verse and every Cable, Satellite, IPTV, Radio and Television station, now even smartphones are equipped with EAS. Emergency Alert System.

 

In regards to Cable and U-Verse, they usually only go off during a Tornado Warning, possibly a Flash Flood Warning or Amber Alert. I've never seen them for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Usually Severe Thunderstorm Warning EAS activations are rare except with smaller local TV and Radio stations.

 

There is also the state and NWS monthly tests that usually have to air. 

 

For whatever reason, Cable and IPTV's EAS tends to be louder, sometimes distorted.

 

Here's a throwback, before EAS, cable systems would do this during an EAS alert. Scroll to about :52 seconds into this video.

 

I saw this happen back in the late 90s when we had the old and much smaller Warner Cable. Once for a Tornado Warning and another time for a 911 Telephone Outage. A local official would be able to dial in and cut off the cable system's picture and give a message over the phone. This would be on every single channel. You'd just see a fuzz picture with the phone audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60RvhTfeiE0

 

Again, skip over to about :52  

Message 14 of 47 (10,171 Views)

Re: Disable Sever Weather Alerts


jeremy1069fm wrote:

I don't know about Weather On Demand, but I do know U-Verse and every Cable, Satellite, IPTV, Radio and Television station, now even smartphones are equipped with EAS. Emergency Alert System.

 

In regards to Cable and U-Verse, they usually only go off during a Tornado Warning, possibly a Flash Flood Warning or Amber Alert. I've never seen them for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Usually Severe Thunderstorm Warning EAS activations are rare except with smaller local TV and Radio stations.

 

They happen quite frequently in our area, but then again, living in N. Texas we tend to get some very sever thunderstorms, I just had $3k worth of hail damage to my car from a storm last month.

 

There is also the state and NWS monthly tests that usually have to air. 

 

For whatever reason, Cable and IPTV's EAS tends to be louder, sometimes distorted.

 

Here's a throwback, before EAS, cable systems would do this during an EAS alert. Scroll to about :52 seconds into this video.

 

I saw this happen back in the late 90s when we had the old and much smaller Warner Cable. Once for a Tornado Warning and another time for a 911 Telephone Outage. A local official would be able to dial in and cut off the cable system's picture and give a message over the phone. This would be on every single channel. You'd just see a fuzz picture with the phone audio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60RvhTfeiE0

 

Again, skip over to about :52  


 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 15 of 47 (10,159 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.