JaCruTN's profile

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

Wednesday, June 18th, 2014 11:58 PM

Diginets Rise in Ratings; Some surpass cable in ratings.

There has been discussions about the diginets or the sub channels and Uverse's decision not to carry them on this board in the past.

I have seen online artices on them. Some have surpassed regular channel networks in the ratings. I wonder as the popularity of the diginet or the sub channel grows if Uverse will reverse their decision to carry these channels?

I post links to three intersting articles  concerning this subject.

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/77040/diginets-building-themselves-a-market#.U6CdnZXSN7o.facebook

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/77095/classic-tv-diginets-make-the-old-new-again#.U6HFIPE3xgc.facebook

http://www.tvnewscheck.com/article/77094/the-top-25-digital-broadcast-networks

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

Never say never!  I did hear some info that the U-Verse department is looking at how to add them.  In some cities, it may require an additional thirty (30!) channels.  Each time UV adds a channel, it incurs expenses at the VHO (Video Hub Office(s)).  My guess is that it may be tens, if not hundreds of thousands of $, in each market.  Indianapolis has over 15 that would need to be added.

One problem would be where to pit them?  For channel 6.3, they could not use channel 63 (in my area) because there is an existing channel 63.  My fear is that they might make it an app, like channel 99 (PEG channels), and they would not be able to be recorded.

Some subchannels are just a radar display and some are fluff, like repeating news reels but there are some with unique content.

Scholar

• 

113 Messages

10 years ago

There's an article in todays Chicago Tribune about the Chicago Cubs possibly going from WGN to a subchannel next season(the article mentions that at&t doesn't carry subchannels).If the Cubs do indeed switch to a subchannel next season it'll put pressure on Uverse to pick up subchannels in the Chicago area(the Chicago Wolves of the AHL are already on a subchannel.....ME-TOO a subchannel of WCIU channel 26)

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

10 years ago

Much rather have Metv than Hallmark i hope this happens .

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

10 years ago

@hwkn wrote:

There's an article in todays Chicago Tribune about the Chicago Cubs possibly going from WGN to a subchannel next season(the article mentions that at&t doesn't carry subchannels).If the Cubs do indeed switch to a subchannel next season it'll put pressure on Uverse to pick up subchannels in the Chicago area(the Chicago Wolves of the AHL are already on a subchannel.....ME-TOO a subchannel of WCIU channel 26)

Here is the link to the Tribune article.   I initially hit a paywall but clicked again and viewed it.

Here is the key piece for those who don't want to read it all.

Also, the Cubs would lose viewers because a multicast station doesn't have the reach of WGN. Currently, AT&T doesn't have multicast stations and DirecTV and Dish almost never carry them, according to industry sources. The Cubs also would have to negotiate deals one-by-one with providers outside of Chicago in Downstate Illinois, Iowa and Indiana, areas that are considered their local territory.

So, AT&T isn't alone in not carrying them.  I can't say that I blame the Cubs for using this approach to start a "Cubs Network."  NBC Universal did the same thing.  They started off in many cities as a sub channel before becoming a full cable type channel (although not carried on UV).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.