browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Friday, February 14th, 2014 3:04 AM

Coax or Cat5

We had Uverse TV and cancelled it. Now we are considering getting Uverse TV again with one or two STB's. The coax cable, AT&T splitters and connectors are still in place. Does the installer still have the option of using existing coax or must cat5 cables now be used?

If I wanted the installer to run cat5 cable from the RG to an Home Theater System, how would I order that and how much would I be charged?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

I would want everything wired. If we do get TV again I will tell the tech to use cat5 instead if coax. There would be two wires run. We already have cat5 from the inid to the existing RG (i38hg).

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

If we do have an ethernet cable run to the Home theater, can someone recommend a switch(?) to use to connect three devices? I would assume the cable from the router into the switch and three ethernet cables out to the devices. For future proofing, a 6-8 port switch would work too. Would the tech have one in the truck that could be bought and used?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

browndk26 - I use one of these 108 switches that I believe had been recommended in posts. THere do seem to be variations of the letter designation. Not sure how much difference it makes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00006RVPW/ref=asc_df_B00006RVPW1644937?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00006RVPW

One thing that does make a difference is - keep a path to the RG for video and one for internet access. If you mix video and internet on the same path/switch it may flood the switch. This forces at least two cat5 cable from the location to the RG. Then you have to decide if you want more cables, one or two switches.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks aviewer. I will have them run two cables to the Home theater. With the above switch, does the cable from the router plug into any of the 8 ports pictured? There is no "in" port and "out" ports?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

browndk26 - Now that you mention it, I think that confused me too. The directions must have covered it.

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

@browndk26 wrote:
Thanks aviewer. I will have them run two cables to the Home theater. With the above switch, does the cable from the router plug into any of the 8 ports pictured? There is no "in" port and "out" ports?

Yes. It's auto-uplink enabled, so it will detect which one of the ports is providing uplink data. (Out of habit, I always do port 1 or 8.)

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

I have read in some of the forums that inid installations are not being done anymore. If we added TV services again, would our inid be removed and would we be given another router? Or would we keep all the same equipment? We currently have the 2wire i38hg RG and a nid and inid on the outside of the house. Cat5 home run from the inid to the RG.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.6K Messages

10 years ago

If you were a new customer, you would not get an iNID.  You would have a Cat5e home run installed between your NID and your RG, and both pair would run from the VRAD, through your NID, to a Motorola NVG 589 RG which would handle the pair bonded VDSL2 connection.

If there isn't a problem with your current equipment, I don't know that they would want to replace stuff that's working.

It's a good question.  I hope my thoughts wanders through and can give a more informed, but still personal, opinion on this.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for the responses. "If it is not broken, don't fix it" seems appropriate here.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

My Thoughts,

Can a cat 5 cable be run to a TV without an STB? To connect an internet device such as an Apple TV or Home Theater Receiver?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.