browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Friday, February 14th, 2014 3:04 AM

Coax or Cat5

We had Uverse TV and cancelled it. Now we are considering getting Uverse TV again with one or two STB's. The coax cable, AT&T splitters and connectors are still in place. Does the installer still have the option of using existing coax or must cat5 cables now be used?

If I wanted the installer to run cat5 cable from the RG to an Home Theater System, how would I order that and how much would I be charged?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

10 years ago

Yes, it's still an additional receiver. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
or ATT Customer Care (all other problems)

Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Is it ok to leave an Ethernet cable that is not connected to a device plugged into the RG? I would presume no signal would be going into that unconnected cable.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

Ethernet: yes, it's okay.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks.

Another question. I am going to extend the existing ethernet cable (that is connected to the RG) by using a coupler between two ethernet cables to connect to an apple TV. Will any cat 5 cable  be ok to use? Any specs I should look for?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

browndk26 - Get a new cable here - monoprice.com - that is long enough that you do not need a coupler.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

I would agree about the coupler.  If you're bound and determined, monoprice.com does sell couplers, too.  Make sure it's Cat5e rated. 

When buying cable, Cat5e would be the best bet to purchase.  Cat6 isn't enough better than it'll matter.  Cat5 would probably do, but isn't any cheaper than Cat5e from what I've seen.

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:

If purchase a coupler, need 'A' standard or straight thru, not 'B' crossover coupler unless of course purchase a crossover patch cable and need to go back to straight without purchasing a straight patch cable.

Crossover patch cable generally used in bypassing a switch or router for testing.

Most switches and routers these days automatically detect the transmit/recieve pair and don't require a particular cable or switch position (a feature called "Auto MDI-X".  Are you saying that at least some RG models don't do this auto detection?  This would explain a problem a user had connecting his PS3 to an RG.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.