browndk26's profile
ACE - Professor

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

Friday, February 14th, 2014 3:04 AM

Coax or Cat5

We had Uverse TV and cancelled it. Now we are considering getting Uverse TV again with one or two STB's. The coax cable, AT&T splitters and connectors are still in place. Does the installer still have the option of using existing coax or must cat5 cables now be used?

If I wanted the installer to run cat5 cable from the RG to an Home Theater System, how would I order that and how much would I be charged?

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

We have u200 TV service scheduled to install tomorrow 05/16/14. I will post back how the install goes and if the existing INID and RG are replaced or kept. I am going to ask for one cat5 cable to the family room tv and 2 to the basement TV.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

securedownload1.jpgsecuredownload2.jpgInstall took about 1 1/2 hours. The tech left the existing INID AND RG(i38hg). Ran cat 5 cable to the TV. He didn't want to run the extra cat 5 cable to the home theater so I didn't push that. The dvr is tiny and responds much quicker to the remote than the DVR/STB's we had before. The dvr is an IPH8005. I don't know what capacity hard drive it is. The tech said it has a replaceable hard drive.

2 Attachments

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@browndk26 wrote:
Install took about 1 1/2 hours. The tech left the existing INID AND RG(i38hg). Ran cat 5 cable to the TV. He didn't want to run the extra cat 5 cable to the home theater so I didn't push that. The dvr is tiny and responds much quicker to the remote than the DVR/STB's we had before. The dvr is an IPH8005. I don't know what capacity hard drive it is. The tech said it has a replaceable hard drive.

Replaceable in the refurbishment center, maybe.  Why do techs say stuff like this?

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

10 years ago

JefferMC - That caught my eye, too. I googled it & the Pace web site does tout it as a feature -

DVR functions are supported utilizing a 500GB, 2.5” field-removable hard drive. By allowing for quick technician removal of the hard disk, operators can reduce service costs and simplify logistics when servicing customer returns. In addition, the IPH8005 offers quiet operation and a low-temperature, fanless design.

http://www.pace.com/americas/products/set-top-box/iptv/iph8005/

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@aviewer wrote:
JefferMC - That caught my eye, too. I googled it & the Pace web site does tout it as a feature -

DVR functions are supported utilizing a 500GB, 2.5” field-removable hard drive. By allowing for quick technician removal of the hard disk, operators can reduce service costs and simplify logistics when servicing customer returns. In addition, the IPH8005 offers quiet operation and a low-temperature, fanless design.

http://www.pace.com/americas/products/set-top-box/iptv/iph8005/

"when servicing customer returns" i.e. during testing/refurbishment.  "Field-removeable" meaning in the operator's facility as opposed to PACE's.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

If I wanted to move the STB to another TV, do I just plug it into an Ethernet cable connected to the RG and power up the STB? I may want to occasionally watch recorded shows on the basement TV with surround sound.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. We have the DVR only. No plans to get another receiver. I would get a wired one if we did.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

How much would it cost to add a wired receiver to our existing Service? U200 tv with 1 DVR. I38HG RG. Current DVR is connected by ATT installed ethernet cable.

If a tech came would I be charged for a tech vist of $99 and $54 wire charge to extend an existing ethernet cable run to the TV? Is there an activation fee for the additional receiver? If I extended the ethernet cable myself, can a receiver be shipped to me and I connect it myself? Still an activation fee if I can connect it myself?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

10 years ago

@my thoughts wrote:
No self install option on adding hardwired receiver.... tech service call to add equipment $99.

To save money and time.... no waiting for appointment plus any wiring time if needed.... the wireless receiver. At $49 one time fee half cost of tech visit, direct shipped means no need to waiting appointment needed. And the wireless receiver does have an ethernet port if want to hardline yourself and not use wireless access point.

win...win.
Thanks my thoughts. I hadn't thought about wiring the wireless receiver. Do I still pay a monthly fee for the wireless receiver after the $49 one time fee?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.