flexy633's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 9:41 PM

Capture HD Recordings from DVR

Hello, Some Joe.  I'm glad I found this thread from 2010.   I have a dilemma.  Seems that my DVR stopped working on Sunday night.  After going through all of the troubleshooting with AT&T, they told me they are sending a new DVR.   I asked how I can get the recordings off of the old DVR and they said, "You can't."   I researched the Hauppauge PVR and it seems like it would work. 

My question is this - can I take the DVR and bring it upstairs to my computer and hook it up without the TV?  All I want to do is pull the recordings from the DVR, put them on my PC, and then make DVD's out of them.  I especially need to get the Rolling Stones PPV concert off of there.  Breaks my heart that I could possibly lose that forever.

Before I buy this thing, I'd like to know if I'll be able to use it.  Thanks so much!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Surely you could swap the drives and thereby keep all your recordings?...unless of course it's the hard drive itself that is dead. Shouldn't this solution work fine to at least rescue the recordings? Once they are rescued, you could then transfer them using one of the previously described methods (i.e. Hauppage). Right?

Master

• 

9.8K Messages

9 years ago

@super-ice wrote:
Surely you could swap the drives and thereby keep all your recordings?...unless of course it's the hard drive itself that is dead. Shouldn't this solution work fine to at least rescue the recordings? Once they are rescued, you could then transfer them using one of the previously described methods (i.e.Hauppage). Right?

@super-ice The DVR's are not owned by the subscriber, they are owned by the company.  There is no, as far as we know, company blessed way of swapping drives.  It may be a moot point, at some time, if they go to cloud based DVR storage.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Im trying to move recordings to my usb storage i have plugged in the box. Can i do that and how

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@chaseyoboy   The usb is only good for charging cell phones and other devices by usb.  No data connection whatsoever. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@chaseyoboy, the USB port on the DVR (and other U-verse TV Receivers) only provides power on the USB port.  You cannot usefully hook up any kind of USB Storage to it.  You cannot transfer recordings from you U-verse DVR by any mechanism other than playing them back and re-recording them on the device that you're playing them back to.  There are many video-capture devices that will accept the Coax or Composite video outputs from the U-verse Receivers.  The HD outputs are copy protected.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

How does an ATT customer "play back to recording device"?

Thanks!

Guru

• 

622 Messages

7 years ago

You hook up your "recording device" to the set-top box as if it was a TV.  You can have two things hooked up to the same box; for example, connect the box to a TV using HDMI, and also to a recording device (like a Hauppauge box) using component cables.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.