flexy633's profile

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

Tuesday, August 27th, 2013 9:41 PM

Capture HD Recordings from DVR

Hello, Some Joe.  I'm glad I found this thread from 2010.   I have a dilemma.  Seems that my DVR stopped working on Sunday night.  After going through all of the troubleshooting with AT&T, they told me they are sending a new DVR.   I asked how I can get the recordings off of the old DVR and they said, "You can't."   I researched the Hauppauge PVR and it seems like it would work. 

My question is this - can I take the DVR and bring it upstairs to my computer and hook it up without the TV?  All I want to do is pull the recordings from the DVR, put them on my PC, and then make DVD's out of them.  I especially need to get the Rolling Stones PPV concert off of there.  Breaks my heart that I could possibly lose that forever.

Before I buy this thing, I'd like to know if I'll be able to use it.  Thanks so much!

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

dhascall - Interesting idea - No reason it can't be done. You need two things - What is the IP address of the PC and access to that PC. These are available, but I am not familiar with details. Probably there are others on the forum that can make suggestions on this type of software. I believe apple has mirroring or full access to a remote computer, but I do not have personal knowledge.

I would like to add that the Hauppage suggestion was for a specific case. Play a U-verse output into a PC. Looking at the Amazon description again it has a an adapter for the standard outputs. Only a couple of dollars, but be sure to get one.

Then software in the PC to manage the "recordings" - Maybe Microsoft media center.
Then if you want remote control of the STB you need an IR blaster to control the STB. Probably, most software can treat the IR blaster as if it were an integral tuner so that recordings can be scheduled, accomplished, & found later for viewing.
It is a big project that you need to break down to the individual steps to be sure they are covered.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Is this Hauppage device going to work since my DVR will not turn on? I can plug it in and the lights come on, but the power light just flashes and freezes at the AT&T logo screen.

Teacher

• 

12 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately, the DVR does not play because as I said, the power button flashes and freezes at the AT&T Logo screen.  I cannot get to a menu at all.  That is why AT&T told us that it died and sent us a new one.  I just thought there might be a way to get the recordings off of there.  Sounds to me like everyone needs to purchase one of these devices if they want to keep certain recordings rather than relying on these useless DVRs. 

Is it possible to purchase TIVO and use thta with AT&T's U-Verse service? 

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

flexy633_1 - Is the DVR still connected? Do the recordings play on another STB? If the answer is no to either your recordings are gone. If yes, you can play them from the other STB into the storage of your choice.

Only, U-verse boxes work on u-verse service. It uses a unique signal & has security to prevent misuse.

The boxes are just like computers - If you want to keep the contents, reliably, you need to back it up immediately after saving it.

Teacher

• 

14 Messages

10 years ago

They use Belkin components, the lowest quality consumer component maker out there. My DVR needs to be replaced every 18 months at best. I swap the disk in mine before sending the failed unit back. I also use Usenet and torrents to download content, it is not illegal in my opinion to make backup copies of content I already have. (I also download additional movies and concerts I don't own to compensate for the trouble they put me through.)

[Inappropriate content removed]

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

10 years ago

How does this work, do you have to play each episode and record as it is playing?or can it copy the whole DVR? Also do I need any other cables?

Thanks

Guru

• 

622 Messages

10 years ago

@cleve298 wrote:

How does this work, do you have to play each episode and record as it is playing?or can it copy the whole DVR? Also do I need any other cables?

Thanks

If you mean using a Hauppauge box, what you do is, you connect one of your STBs (it does not have to be your DVR box - the original post may have been from back when you could not watch recorded shows except from the DVR itself) to the box as if the box is a TV (you will need the appropriate set of video cables, which depends on what box you are using).  You then connect the box to your computer through a USB port, and run the box's software on your computer.  If it is configured right, you should see and hear on your computer what is being shown on the TV connected to the same STB.  At that point, it's pretty much "click on the big red round button on the screen" to start recording, and click again to stop.

Note that a Hauppauge box is one directional - you cannot play things back on the TV from the computer; you play them back on the computer as if they were videos.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

My DVR is currently working, but I've been sent a new one because this one keeps shutting down.  Exactly how can I swap the hard drive, or copy my recordings?

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

9 years ago

@bitsandpieces wrote:

My DVR is currently working, but I've been sent a new one because this one keeps shutting down.  Exactly how can I swap the hard drive, or copy my recordings?

Sorry, you cannot.  Your recording schedule will stay intact but your recordings are stored on the DVR itself.  DVR goes, your recordings go.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

9 years ago

There is no bulk way. You can only play them to a copy device before you swap.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.