Capture HD Recordings from DVR

Teacher

Capture HD Recordings from DVR

Hello, Some Joe.  I'm glad I found this thread from 2010.   I have a dilemma.  Seems that my DVR stopped working on Sunday night.  After going through all of the troubleshooting with AT&T, they told me they are sending a new DVR.   I asked how I can get the recordings off of the old DVR and they said, "You can't."   I researched the Hauppauge PVR and it seems like it would work. 

My question is this - can I take the DVR and bring it upstairs to my computer and hook it up without the TV?  All I want to do is pull the recordings from the DVR, put them on my PC, and then make DVD's out of them.  I especially need to get the Rolling Stones PPV concert off of there.  Breaks my heart that I could possibly lose that forever.

Before I buy this thing, I'd like to know if I'll be able to use it.  Thanks so much!

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 28
Teacher

Re: Capture HD Recordings from DVR

Unfortunately, the DVR does not play because as I said, the power button flashes and freezes at the AT&T Logo screen.  I cannot get to a menu at all.  That is why AT&T told us that it died and sent us a new one.  I just thought there might be a way to get the recordings off of there.  Sounds to me like everyone needs to purchase one of these devices if they want to keep certain recordings rather than relying on these useless DVRs. 

Is it possible to purchase TIVO and use thta with AT&T's U-Verse service? 

Message 16 of 28
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

flexy633_1 - Is the DVR still connected? Do the recordings play on another STB? If the answer is no to either your recordings are gone. If yes, you can play them from the other STB into the storage of your choice.

Only, U-verse boxes work on u-verse service. It uses a unique signal & has security to prevent misuse.

The boxes are just like computers - If you want to keep the contents, reliably, you need to back it up immediately after saving it.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 17 of 28
Teacher

They use Belkin components, the lowest quality consumer component maker out there. My DVR needs to be replaced every 18 months at best. I swap the disk in mine before sending the failed unit back. I also use Usenet and torrents to download content, it is not illegal in my opinion to make backup copies of content I already have. (I also download additional movies and concerts I don't own to compensate for the trouble they put me through.)

[Inappropriate content removed]

Message 18 of 28
Tutor

How does this work, do you have to play each episode and record as it is playing?or can it copy the whole DVR? Also do I need any other cables?

Thanks

Message 19 of 28

cleve298 wrote:

How does this work, do you have to play each episode and record as it is playing?or can it copy the whole DVR? Also do I need any other cables?

Thanks

If you mean using a Hauppauge box, what you do is, you connect one of your STBs (it does not have to be your DVR box - the original post may have been from back when you could not watch recorded shows except from the DVR itself) to the box as if the box is a TV (you will need the appropriate set of video cables, which depends on what box you are using).  You then connect the box to your computer through a USB port, and run the box's software on your computer.  If it is configured right, you should see and hear on your computer what is being shown on the TV connected to the same STB.  At that point, it's pretty much "click on the big red round button on the screen" to start recording, and click again to stop.

Note that a Hauppauge box is one directional - you cannot play things back on the TV from the computer; you play them back on the computer as if they were videos.

Message 20 of 28
Contributor

My DVR is currently working, but I've been sent a new one because this one keeps shutting down.  Exactly how can I swap the hard drive, or copy my recordings?

Message 21 of 28
ACE - Master

bitsandpieces wrote:

My DVR is currently working, but I've been sent a new one because this one keeps shutting down.  Exactly how can I swap the hard drive, or copy my recordings?

Sorry, you cannot.  Your recording schedule will stay intact but your recordings are stored on the DVR itself.  DVR goes, your recordings go.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 22 of 28
ACE - Expert

There is no bulk way. You can only play them to a copy device before you swap.

Message 23 of 28
Contributor

Surely you could swap the drives and thereby keep all your recordings?...unless of course it's the hard drive itself that is dead. Shouldn't this solution work fine to at least rescue the recordings? Once they are rescued, you could then transfer them using one of the previously described methods (i.e. Hauppage). Right?
Message 24 of 28
ACE - Master

super-ice wrote:
Surely you could swap the drives and thereby keep all your recordings?...unless of course it's the hard drive itself that is dead. Shouldn't this solution work fine to at least rescue the recordings? Once they are rescued, you could then transfer them using one of the previously described methods (i.e.Hauppage). Right?

@super-ice The DVR's are not owned by the subscriber, they are owned by the company.  There is no, as far as we know, company blessed way of swapping drives.  It may be a moot point, at some time, if they go to cloud based DVR storage.

Message 25 of 28
Contributor

Im trying to move recordings to my usb storage i have plugged in the box. Can i do that and how

Message 26 of 28
ACE - Expert

@chaseyoboy   The usb is only good for charging cell phones and other devices by usb.  No data connection whatsoever. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 27 of 28
ACE - Expert

@chaseyoboy, the USB port on the DVR (and other U-verse TV Receivers) only provides power on the USB port.  You cannot usefully hook up any kind of USB Storage to it.  You cannot transfer recordings from you U-verse DVR by any mechanism other than playing them back and re-recording them on the device that you're playing them back to.  There are many video-capture devices that will accept the Coax or Composite video outputs from the U-verse Receivers.  The HD outputs are copy protected.

Message 28 of 28
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support