twobook's profile

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, February 8th, 2013 11:04 PM

Captions

Menu lists Digital Captions, with 7 settings, including "Off". Standard Captions are also listed, with several options. The only choice that works is "Standard Captioning 1". Is there some secret handshake that I need to knnow in order to get more choices?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

Actually Digital Closed Captioning 1 & 2 and Standard Closed Captioning 1 & 2 are the only settings which are enabled with the rest of the numbers taking you nowhere. Normally 1 is for English (if it's your primary language) and 2 is for Spanish (if secondary language is available on the program). But CC 1 will work if checked and tuned to a Latino channel for Spanish since that's the primary language of the program. In other words CC 1 provides closed captions in the same language of the primary audio and CC 2 provides CC's in the same language of the secondary audio if available on the program.

Digital closed captioning only works on the high-def channels and that's if the closed captions are available on the program. Digital closed captions will not work unless you're subscribed to the HD service. Be sure to hit "Save" after checking 1 or 2 before existing. Standard closed captioning (analog) is used mainly for standard def channels but works on HD channels too. There is no pass-through on the U-verse boxes for the digital closed captions if trying to view the CC's through your TV. You can pass through some of the standard CC's but it has to be an analog connection and not using a HDMI cable.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

@twobook wrote:

I have HD service. I understand that Digital Captions only work on HD channels that have digital captions available. I called Customer Service. They don't know any more than you.

That sure is a nice comment/attitude towards somebody trying to help you out. Suggest you do a search for "Closed Captions" on this forum and you may find I know a little bit more than you think. This includes helping to fix/solve a couple nationwide U-verse problems with closed captioning. Lots of luck with your problem.

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I have HD service. I understand that Digital Captions only work on HD channels that have digital captions available. I called Customer Service. They don't know any more than you.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

11 years ago

@Uniblurb3 wrote:

@twobook wrote:

That sure is a nice comment/attitude towards somebody trying to help you out. Suggest you do a search for "Closed Captions" on this forum and you may find I know a little bit more than you think. This includes helping to fix/solve a couple nationwide U-verse problems with closed captioning. Lots of luck with your problem.

I'll take that to mean you know AS MUCH as Customer Service which is pretty cool since you don't even work for ATT!!!

signed,

Pollyana  Smiley Very Happy

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

I'll take to mean Uni knows more than customer service, which in many cases he does. Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

11 years ago

@oufanindallas wrote:

I'll take to mean Uni knows more than customer service, which in many cases he does. Smiley Wink

I'd say it's true in almost all cases, but without question is ESPECIALLY true when it comes to closed captions. Smiley Wink

Uni has forgotten more about closed captions than any customer service rep at AT&T will ever know.

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

11 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

@oufanindallas wrote:

I'd say it's true in almost all cases, but without question is ESPECIALLY true when it comes to closed captions. Smiley Wink

Uni has forgotten more about closed captions than any customer service rep at AT&T will ever know.

He knows more about closed captions than probably any executive at AT&T since he is the one that had to bring it to their attention they are let's not say breaking, but bending the law when it comes to ADA and closed captions.  He probably knows more than any executive and any provider when it comes to this.

Master

• 

5.7K Messages

11 years ago

Thanks for all the support guys, really appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Now I'm feeling kind of bad U-verse is "dragging their feet" so bad about the easier access to the closed captions they were supposed to have released by now. I may have to jump back into action to give them a little more push. Smiley Wink

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.