Can't record 4 shows at once.

Tutor

Can't record 4 shows at once.

Sometimes I can't even record 1 show. We have 4 tvs 1 is hd and last night we had 3 tvs on and got the message that we had to interupt a tv or stop a recording. Why does att say you can record 4 shows at once?

Message 1 of 29 (10,649 Views)
Expert

Re: Can't record 4 shows at once.

[ Edited ]

Thanks for posting your info!

Here is what you can do:

WAN Profile (Streams into the RG):  Watch 4 different live TV channels at the same time.  Up to 2 of the channels can be HD channels.

Ingress Profile (Streams into the DVR):  Record 4 programs at the same time.  Up to 2 of those programs can be HD programs.

Egress Profile (Streams out of the DVR):  Watch 3 recorded programs at the same time on TV's connected to the non-DVR STB's.  All 3 programs can be in HD.  You can also watch a 4th program on the the TV connected to the DVR.

Also, please remember that with U-verse you are restricted to 4 live streams to watch and/or record live TV at the same tme.  If 2 or more TV's are tuned to the same channel, that counts as the use of a single stream.  Your combination of HD and SD live and recorded streams in use at the same time is subject to the restrictions discussed above.

Message 16 of 29 (10,334 Views)
Tutor

Well I'm not a geek so I'm still a little lost. Can I make some changes myself or do I have to call att?

Message 17 of 29 (10,330 Views)
Expert

When you say "changes" what are you looking for?

Message 18 of 29 (10,328 Views)
Tutor

How can I record more than one show at a time.

Message 19 of 29 (10,326 Views)
Expert

rdlouhy wrote:

How can I record more than one show at a time.

You can record more than one program at the same time.  You can record up to 4.

As I mentioned in my earlier message, you are limited to 4 live streams in use at the same time for a combination of watching live TV or recording programs.  If some TV's are in use watching live channels, that reduces the number of live streams available to record programming.  You can be further restricted based on the combination of HD vs. SD channels being used.

It appears that you are on the 19/2 line profile which only allows 2 of your 4 streams to be HD. Can you download and install SomeJoe's tool at the link below?

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Once you install the tool, please post screenshots of the following tabs: IP/ProfileError Table, Bitloading, & Coax/HPNA.

We can take a look at the screenshots to see if you may possibly be able to upgrade to a profile that would increase the number of your 4 streams that are in HD.

Message 20 of 29 (10,321 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Hope you can help I have 3SD/1HD and can only record one HD show at a time. I tried to record glee and Greys both at 8 pm on HD CHANNEL and it says I can't. All TV in my home are HD so I am completely lost. One tv is pretty much never used or on but several times I have been watching an HD show in one room and my kids weren't able to watch and HD show in others. I'm lost Smiley Sad
Message 21 of 29 (8,149 Views)
Contributor

I got the same message all the time. We have 5 tv's in the house with 5 boxes. There's only 3 tv's on at the same time and they are on different channels. Yet the main TV in the living room always gets the 'interrupt another TV' message. Very deceiving from what the serviceman told us upon installation. Plus, the living room TV gets a destroyed screen and you end up not being able to hear or see the channel. We just acquired AT&T in December and already need a new box for our main TV.

Message 22 of 29 (5,045 Views)
Scholar

i found a way around it ....on monday nights i couldn't record wwe and dallas at the same time without one of the tv's being turned off we have 4 boxes......so i record wwe from 7ct to 10ct. on usa....then i record dallas on the tnt west feed at 11ct

Message 23 of 29 (5,029 Views)

boston1129 wrote:

I got the same message all the time. We have 5 tv's in the house with 5 boxes. There's only 3 tv's on at the same time and they are on different channels. Yet the main TV in the living room always gets the 'interrupt another TV' message. Very deceiving from what the serviceman told us upon installation. Plus, the living room TV gets a destroyed screen and you end up not being able to hear or see the channel. We just acquired AT&T in December and already need a new box for our main TV.

Are all four of the "on" TVs tuned to HD channels?  Not everybody can get 4 incoming HD channels at the same time.  Try tuning one of the TVs to its SD equivalent channel (e.g. 202 for CNN, 602 for ESPN) and see what happens.

Also, "the TV is off" and "the box is off" are not necessarily the same thing.  Check to see if any of your boxes are in (the green oval around the power button is lit) even though the TV itself is turned off.

Pardon me for asking, but what's a "destroyed" screen?

Message 24 of 29 (4,974 Views)
Contributor

I need help as well and this was the closest thread I could find.  Smiley Happy  Just got Uverse installed and so far, it seems pretty cool.  Unfortunately, I don't have the whole DVR/Viewing options down yet.

Info:  5 DVRs, 5 TVs

Profile:  Wan and Ingress are both 1SD/3HD

I had 2 HD programs being recorded at the same time.  Another TV was on an HD channel.  So when I turned the 4th TV on, I got the message stating I couldn't view HD channel and to cancel a recording.  I entered in an SD channel and got a message saying all of my TV units were being used.  There were only 3 streams going (all HD).  Why wasn't I able to view an SD channel?

Message 25 of 29 (4,513 Views)
ACE - Expert

The only thing I can think of is one of the DVRs (aka STBs) that you thought was sleeping was actually on even though the TV was off. Make sure when you power down the green light on the STB goes off.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 26 of 29 (4,506 Views)
Contributor

Thanks!  Just to be sure...if I turn the DVR box off, will it still record shows I have scheduled for later that night?

Message 27 of 29 (4,471 Views)
ACE - Master

hblondie02 wrote:

Thanks!  Just to be sure...if I turn the DVR box off, will it still record shows I have scheduled for later that night?

Yes, your DVR will record regardless if the box is on or not.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 28 of 29 (4,468 Views)
Contributor

Thanks guys and/or gals!  Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July!

Message 29 of 29 (4,427 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.