fordf1's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Monday, December 14th, 2015 4:11 PM

Black Bar at Bottom of Screen when changing channels

I'm not sure if my wife hit a button on the remote by mistake, or if it started doing this on its own... but now when changing channels the black bar that comes up when you change channels is coming up and staying on for several seconds before going away.  Not sure, but don't think this black bar even came up before, but there was no delay in seeing the entire picture when the new channel came on.  Why did this start doing this and how can we stop it?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

Maybe this is one of those things that nobody notices until it is noticed & disliked & hard to ignore.

When the black bar appears based on the OK arrows it is intended as a preview & includes a small preview picture.

when it appears as a simple chan up/down ( & other chan changes) , there is no preview picture. There are a couple of small arrows on the top left.

I am thinking that it was always there & we just forgot about it. I tried pressing OK to get rid of it faster than the timeout & it produces a different, even less useful bar.

Note that I currently do not have att service. I do have Frontier U-verse, that I believe is still pretty much the same as att.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

20.4K Messages

8 years ago

@fordf1 wrote:

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video... and yes, I see the same delay happening... but I'm SURE that it wasn't doing this until this morning.  I'm going to call ATT tech support to see what they have to say about it.  I do appreciate all of the input I've received here... and I'll let y'all know what ATT has to say about it.

Nope, it's been doing it for the more than 7 years I've had Uverse and staying on about 4-5 seconds.  Actually was a bit higher b4 the last major download.  I notice and remember these kinds of things.

Think someone posted b4 it stays on while the Unicast is trying to join the Multicast.  If it didn't connect to the Multicast, the screen would go black.  Some users see this at various times, usually fixed by a reboot of the RG and Uverse DVR/STB. 😉

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Need Help? PM ATT Uverse Care (all service problems)
ATT Customer Care(billing and all other problems)
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

You can move up and down between channels using two different sets of buttons:

• The dedicated Channel Up/Down rocker button(s) and
  • The Up and Down buttons (above and below the OK button)

I believe these actually cycle in opposite directions.  Also, I believe the Black Bar occurs when using the Up/Down buttons around the OK button but not when using the Channel Up/Down buttons.  Is this not correct?

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

No, this is acting different than before.  We generally use the numbers to enter the channel when going to a different channel or many times we use the "Last" button to go back and forth between two channels to avoid commercials.  It was working "normally" (fairly "instant" change without black bar staying at the bottom for about four seconds)... this morning and just "changed" suddenly when going to a different channel... and now it is showing the black bar for about four seconds... all of the time.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

I have not noticed, nor heard, that a new Receiver firmware has come out.  

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

We don't use the Channel Up/Down because it has never come up that the channel we want to go to is next to or close to the channel number we are on.  We generally use the number pad to enter the channel number to get there... and a lot of the time we are going back and forth between two channels to avoid commercials... before this morning (when it just changed suddenly) the transfer from one channel to the next when using either the number pad or the "Last" button the change was fairly instant without the four second delay showing the black bar across the bottom of the picture... it is now doing the four second delay all of the time and I can't figure out "why" or "how to" get rid of it... 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Not sure I understand this... are you saying that from time to time new Receiver firmware comes out and "things change"... unexpectedly ?  

ACE - Expert

• 

35K Messages

8 years ago

@fordf1 wrote:

Not sure I understand this... are you saying that from time to time new Receiver firmware comes out and "things change"... unexpectedly ?  

Yes.

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

8 years ago

Here is a you tube video posted almost a year ago that shows the info bar at the bottom of the screen when changing channels - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBvCEg08YoE

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks for the link to the YouTube video... and yes, I see the same delay happening... but I'm SURE that it wasn't doing this until this morning.  I'm going to call ATT tech support to see what they have to say about it.  I do appreciate all of the input I've received here... and I'll let y'all know what ATT has to say about it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.