Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

Tutor

Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

Message 1 of 23 (12,224 Views)
Mentor

Re: Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

Something I missed when I posted (a week ago!), is the fact part of your initial question was about a network connection.  Most EVERY piece of equipment (Set-top-box, DVD player, Apple TV/Google TV) and the TV itself will have a network port anymore.  Depending on what piece of equipment you connect via your network, you will get different results.  Most will have Netflix capability, Pandora, and, possibly an Internet browser.  All that's necessary is a network cable connection (Cat-5) from your U-verse modem to the piece of equipment.  The (HDMI?) cable that runs from the piece of equipment to the TV will also, then, carry whatever service you choose and it will appear on the TV.

Message 16 of 23 (10,007 Views)
Highlighted
Tutor

maybe i should start a new post, but i have a similar problem.

i'm trying to connect my sony blu ray bdp s3100 to at&t uverse cable box via HDMI.  so i make the connection, but i can't get a picture.

i have a samsung tv, and i'd prefer to just go straight to the tv. but this is an older model and doesn't have hdmi.

i don't consider myself a novice, but maybe i am.  what am i missing??  thanks for any help!

Message 17 of 23 (9,188 Views)
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by aviewer (ACE - Expert)
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

russ1623 - Probably the most important thing here is - The U-verse STB does not have any inputs for anything other than the U-verse IPTV signal. Your speed bump is - You have moved ahead on the DVD player - Blue ray requires an HDMI connection because it is 1080p & not the TV.

I think there are two simple choices - Drop back to a DVD player (cannot play blue-ray) with composite or component outputs. Or, go for a 1080p TV, The good news is the prices are way down on 1080p TVs. This is the price you pay to keep up with the improvements in technology & you are on the right side of the price curve.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 18 of 23 (9,172 Views)
Tutor

thank you!

i've been searching online for days for an answer, but this is the first forum that gave me an answer that makes sense.

Message 19 of 23 (9,138 Views)
ACE - Expert

russ1623 - Glad I could help. Post if you have more questions.

It probably is time for a new TV. Here, is a converter to convert HDMI to component - http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-HDMI-Component-Converter-Converts/dp/B00E5QWZ8A/ref=pd_sim_e_1

Your TV does have component input?? If not it is really time for a new one.

Note that it has no reviews & just adds complications to to your equipment. but, it should/might work for your case - the picture will NOT be 1080p = something less.
If you consider a converter make sure it works with HDMI input and component output. Not the reverse.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 23 (9,118 Views)
Mentor

For the past couple of years, since my TV is old enough it doesn't even produce 1080p (it does have 1080i, however, and most every piece of video generating equipment can handle that), I have used a converter called "HD Fury III."  It can handle either 1080i or 1080p  from HDMI converted to component, which I have to assume your TV has - if it's HD, I can't imagine it not having at least that!  It's (lots) more expensive than the converter mentioned about, but it's output is worth the money.  It's allowed me to watch a quality picture on my old TV with the very latest video generating equipement.  That includes a Blu-ray player at 1080i , another DVD player at the same resolution, U-verse at 1080i and Tivo, also at 1080i.  I know there's a difference between 1080i and 1080p, but the HD Fury makes it a lot less noticeable.

Here's a link to the HD Fury III information:          http://www.hdfury.com/products/hdfuryiii-specs/

If you look, and consider buying, make sure you go far enough down the order page to find the HD Fury III.  They have their very latest on top and make you look for it.

Message 21 of 23 (9,079 Views)
Tutor

After recording in Xfire the quality drops while editing in sony vegas, at first the quality is quite good, but then i go to sony vegas and hit preview the quality drops alot. Is it because its just preview and its different after it is done?

Message 22 of 23 (8,737 Views)
Tutor

I have a video creating program called Pinnacle Studio, version 12. I can connect my camcorder to it and take video from that and put it on my computer, and edit it in any way i want. But it doesn't save in a format that YouTube will let me upload it in. How can I change the format of a video to a YouTube acceptable format?

Message 23 of 23 (8,438 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.