Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

Tutor

Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

Message 1 of 23 (12,259 Views)
Expert

Re: Best Way to Connect New Sony Blu-Ray

The Blu-ray player should be connected directly to the TV.  What connections options exist on the TV?

Message 2 of 23 (12,227 Views)
ACE - Expert

Dvdjns1 - As TG says the output of the bluray is connected to a matching type of input on the TV & selected via a remote action.

You also mention an internet connection. THis can be wired - cat5 connection to the RG. If your STB is fed coax you may want to plug the cat5 cable into the network jack on the STB even though it is not officially supported.

For wi-fi - make sure the wireless is on in the RG. You should be able to follow a menu in the bluray. Let us know if you need more.

You can access the RG by this link -http://192.168.1.254/
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 23 (12,222 Views)
ACE - Professor

[ Edited ]

Dvdjns1 wrote:

I am a novice here (so don't laugh.)  I just got a new Sony Blu-Ray and need to know the best way to connect it to the TV/Uverse box in the bedroom (what to plug where.)  There are no other components connected there.  The Blu-Ray has WiiFii capability and the router is in another part of the house.

The best way is to connect it via a HDMI cable if your TV is capable of connecting to the blu way this way. This is also the best way to connect your U-verse STB to the TV as well. The HDMI cable is the same on both sides and you would want to connect one end into your BD player and one end into the back of your TV.

The second best way is via componenet cable (red/blue/green analog RCA cables along with a red/white analog RCA cables) but some newer model blu ray players don't have those on the player itself.

The 3rd and worst option is composite cables (red/white/yellow analog RCA cables) This will give you the capability to watch blu rays on your TV but you won't get the high-definition experience that blu-ray players and discs are made for.

In my opinion, the best place to order these cables from is Monoprice.com. The cost of these cables from here is ~$5 compared going into Best Buy or Walmart and them wanting about $25+ for a similar cable. You can find some that cost $100 but give the exact same performance as one of these cables.

In order to insure that we can help you out to the best of our ability. Can you tell us the model numbers of your TV and blu ray players?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 23 (12,218 Views)
Tutor

Will I need 2 HDMI cables? One to connect the Blu-ray to the Uverse STB and another to connect the Uverse STB to the TV?
Message 5 of 23 (12,213 Views)
Tutor

It has HDMI connectrions.
Message 6 of 23 (12,214 Views)
Tutor

My TV is Model: NS-37L760A12SKU and the Blu-Ray is Model number: BDP-S780.
Message 7 of 23 (12,217 Views)
Tutor

Insignia TV.
Message 8 of 23 (12,219 Views)
Expert

Dvdjns1 wrote:
Will I need 2 HDMI cables? One to connect the Blu-ray to the Uverse STB and another to connect the Uverse STB to the TV?

If your Blu-ray player has an HDMI output, you can use an HDMI cable to connect the player to the TV.

How is the U-verse box currently connected to your TV?

Message 9 of 23 (12,218 Views)
ACE - Professor

Dvdjns1 wrote:

You'll want to connect the Blu-Ray player to the TV via HDMI and the U-Verse STB to the TV via HDMI. You will only need to get 2 HDMI cables if your UVerse STB isn't connected to the TV via HDMI.

So to recap here's how you'll want things connected:

U-Verse STB connected to the TV into HDMI 1 via an HDMI cable

Blu Ray Player connected to the TV into HDMI 2 via an HDMI cable

There is no cable connecting the U-Verse STB to the Blu Ray player.

Is there any other equipment you're hooking up to this TV (VCR, Sound system, etc.) ?

-------

Resident Xbox ACE. Ask me almost anything about Xbox on U-Verse.

Xbox Gamertag: americangame
PSN: americangame
Steam:americangame
When friending me mention that you found me on the AT&T forums.
Message 10 of 23 (12,212 Views)
Expert

Dvdjns1,

If you need an extra HDMI cable and can wait a few days for delivery, you can get them very inexpensively at Monoprice.com. Take a look at the following link:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&for...

This is a 6 foot category 2 high-speed certified HDMI cable for $3.50.

I have no affiliation with Monoprice, I just hate to see people get ripped off by spending $100 on the same cable with a certain monstrous name on it.
Message 11 of 23 (12,057 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Hey I read your post and here I am with the same situation 3 years later. 

I dont even know what type of HDMI cable to get 

Message 12 of 23 (10,410 Views)
Scholar

MsPeppermintp wrote:

Hey I read your post and here I am with the same situation 3 years later. 

I dont even know what type of HDMI cable to get 

Any of these http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10240

Message 13 of 23 (10,397 Views)
Mentor

[ Edited ]

One of those really good things about digital reproduction is if you connect via HDMI, the only real hinderance is the length of the cable.  Digital is digital is digital, and pure IR drop is your only enemy.  If you can stick to cables 12 feet or so or less, you won't have any problem with signal, and the products from Monoprice will do the job splendidly.  I just purchased a new signal processor, and with it all new HDMI cables - from Monoprice.  Everything works just fine.

And on another note with respect to connecting to the TV, you'll need to switch between the two inputs (U-verse STB and BD player) with the TV remote.  Possibilities will be clicking a given switch that cycles through all the possible inputs and separate buttons for each input.  Just mentioned this in case the original poster is still questioning how to use the BD player AND the U-verse STB.

Message 14 of 23 (10,319 Views)
Mentor

I can vouch for cables from Monoprice, they work great. I would recommend their ultra slim series with Redmere Technology.  A bit more expensive than the basic cable, the picture is awesome - but, better than that those cables are the thinnest cables I have ever seen.  You can route them anywhere - even if you already have a spiderweb of a setup with a million other cables going on.

Message 15 of 23 (10,165 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.