robb0995's profile

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

Sunday, February 10th, 2013 4:13 AM

Automatic Streaming Profile upgrades when available?

I was really surprised when I went to may parents' house in Dallas a couple of weeks ago and found that they were on a 2SD/2HD profile despite being about 100 feet from the VRAD in the center of their cul-de-sac.  They were on the 32/5 overall profile, but simply restricted to the lower stream profile. 

They first got service a couple of years ago, perhaps when 2/2 was the best option in town.  But it was a quick call to customer service to get them changed over to 0SD/4HD. 

My question is if this is supposed to be automatic or not.  UVerse has clearly made lots of improvements to the profiles over the years, and I expect more to come.  I'm only 1,000 feet from the VRAD and assume that my profile will rise over time.  When that hapens, will I need to monitor it and call in to get upgraded to the latest and greatest stream profile or is this normally automatic and my parents just missed out?

Either way, I'm saddened to have reached the day when my parents became those people watching SD on their flat screen because they didn't know any better!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

robb0995 - I believe the most important aspect of your post is - Is this normal & do you need to be constantly vigilant to keep up with improvements. My answer is no and no.

It appears that your parents were satisfied with the service. You did not indicate they had a complaint. They probably were not big recorders. Most like average/normal customers.

They should have been automatically upgraded, but they were not. I am not excusing that, but, there was no complaint, When there was a complaint it was easily corrected.

This seems reasonable to me. Sometimes things go wrong. When the customer points it out, it gets fixed. You need to forgive a mistake, but not a negative response when asking for relief.

You have a more in depth knowledge ( & expectations) of U-verse & probably many other things. You take the time to learn the details & what you can get. Much like the majority of the "regulars" on this forum. That is why I am here.

So, keep in touch. Watch for the latest & greatest. You can be on the forefront of what is being introduced. You can save your parents from another fiasco like this one.

It just occurred to me why didn't you let them know sooner that they were subjected to such a lack of HD.

• 

25.7K Messages

11 years ago

Just because the VRad is 100 feet away, does not mean that their wire runs 100 feet directly to it. If you load up UVerse Realtime, and connect to their RG, what is it showing for stats, especially for distance?

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

@aviewer:  Actually, my mom was pretty dissatisfied and would've changed service back to DirecTV, but just left it up to my stepdad.  She called me the next week and was appreciative of not running into the "All HD services are in use" anymore!

But, yeah, as you note, my observation that they got missed in a sweep made me wonder if there was supposed to be a sweep or if I needed to stay vigilant about the continued upgrades to service and personally ask to be upgraded when it became possible.  I'm not in as good a shape as they are (I'm at an estimated 1200 feet according to UVRealtime, while they really are at 100), but still have a very high potential sync rate and am excited at the prospect of future growth in the capabilities!

I'm not sure what you meant about "why I didn't let them know earlier".  I just got U-verse TV service about a month ago. I was with DirecTV for a long time, then I tried Time Warner Cable first when I moved someplace with no line of sight.  I didn't go to Uverse at first  because I saw the HD thing at my parents' and figured it was very limited.  Needless to say, TWC was a disaster.  I kept the service for 6 days before yanking it out and giving UVerse a try.  I quickly studied up on it, and the next time I went to Dallas, I knew to check the capabilities of their connection.

Good to hear that the changes are supposed to be automatic!  Thanks

Expert

• 

10.1K Messages

11 years ago

robb0995 - The reason I made the "why I didn't let them know earlier" comment was - All I have to go by is what the initial post says. In this case, I got the impression that you pointed out a problem that they did not even know they had, so, I thought I would give a little tug on your leg.

Mentor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

Haha. Well, I did poke fun at them for being the old couple who didn't understand technology, but in actuality it's not quite that bad. Thanks!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.