Aspect Ratio and new Vizio TV

Tutor

Aspect Ratio and new Vizio TV

So I bought a brand new 37 inch 1080p Vizio tv.  I read tips to change the aspect ration to 1080i within the Uverse menu.  I did that and the screen is wonderful! The only problem I see is when I go to the guide, it seems too big to fit in the screen.  I can't see all of my guide.  Is there another setting that Im missing?  If I go to any other settings such as widescreen, it looks ok, but I get the black bars.  

I hope this makes sense.  I guess If I have to, I'll take pictures of the guide.  Thanks

Message 1 of 32 (10,237 Views)
Expert

Re: Aspect Ratio and new Vizio TV

How is your Vizio TV connected to the U-verse DVR/STB?: HDMI cable, component cables (red, green, blue), composite cables (red, white, yellow) or coaxial cable

Message 2 of 32 (10,022 Views)
Tutor

cable

Message 3 of 32 (10,017 Views)
Expert

Which one?  HDMI cable or coaxial cable?

Message 4 of 32 (10,015 Views)
Tutor

opps sorry, Coaxial cable.  

Message 5 of 32 (10,011 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

The coaxial cable is causing the problem.  To receive an HD picture, you need to use either an HDMI cable or component cables.  The use of either a coaxial cable or composite cables would result in the problem that you described.

Message 6 of 32 (10,007 Views)
Tutor

If I dont have HD programing, is it worth buying the component or HDMI cable?  Do I have a choice between one or the other? Could I use either a component or HDMI?  I only have 1 component and wanted to use that for my Wii, since I have my composite filled by my DVD player. 

Message 7 of 32 (9,987 Views)
Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author ame8199
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

[ Edited ]

Either an HDMI cable or component cables will work.  You don't need to buy any expensive cables.  The cheap cables work just as well.  I use an HDMI cable, and I think it cost about $5. 

Message 8 of 32 (9,961 Views)
Tutor

Thanks so much!! 

Message 9 of 32 (9,957 Views)
Expert

You're welcome.  You can buy cheap cables at monoprice.com or amazon.com.

Message 10 of 32 (9,942 Views)
Tutor

Ok Im back with the same problem....

I went out and bought HDMI cable and a component cable for my wii.  Uverse box is hooked up successfully to the HDMI, WII to component and DVD player to Composite

Changed all my settings on my tv and uverse and so on...1080i still shows full screen which is awesome, but I go to the guilde and I cant see most of it.  

Is there another setting Im missing? 

Message 11 of 32 (9,733 Views)
Expert

Did you remove the coaxial cable connecting the U-verse box to the TV?  Are you selecting the HDMI input when you view the TV?  On the Vizio TV, are you using any Zoom settings for the screen size?

Message 12 of 32 (9,719 Views)
Tutor

Its not the settings within Uverse, I believe it the settings within my Vizio TV.  

I have removed my coaxial and the setting on my uverse is in 1080i.  

If I do use the Zoom or Scretch setting on my TV I get a full screen, but an oversized channel menu.

If I use Wide or Normal on my TV, I get normal channel menu, but the black pillars.  

Am I stuck with the black Pillars?  

Message 13 of 32 (9,714 Views)
ACE - Guru

ame8199 wrote:

If I dont have HD programing, is it worth buying the component or HDMI cable?  Do I have a choice between one or the other? Could I use either a component or HDMI?  I only have 1 component and wanted to use that for my Wii, since I have my composite filled by my DVD player. 

Are you paying for the HD programing package?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 32 (9,709 Views)
Tutor

No I am not paying for HD service. 

Do I have the pillars because I am not watching an HD channel?  Sorry this is all new to me..

Message 15 of 32 (9,706 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that!

Click here to check it out or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. You can quickly and easily resolve your service woes!

You will also find some helpful articles below.

Additional Support