Artifacts during night scenes

Teacher

Artifacts during night scenes

Hi, we had our U-verse installed yesterday. Overall our experience has been good, but we're seeing pretty noticeable artifacts during night scenes. The black background of the scenes has a ton of blocking / artifacts in it. We have a 55" TV and do not see the artifacts on BluRay. I know U-verse uses a lot of signal compression, so I'm wondering if that's the cause, and it's something we'll have to live with, or if something's actually wrong with my signal. I don't see the artifacts really except on black backgrounds. I'd appreciate any thoughts or experiences you guys can share.

Thanks!

Mark
Message 1 of 4 (820 Views)
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author mark0417
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: Artifacts during night scenes

Your referring to an issue known as Black Crush... using HDMI cable.

past posts moving to component cables improves picture quality on dark scenes.
Tv is broadcast in either 720p or 1080i... which is component best for.
HDMI is for 1080p such as bluray players. Software issue with Uverse compression and decoding.

The receiver software is Microsoft Media Room purchased by Ericcson last September.
New releases are in the process... receivers have already seen some updates such as itacils on DVR viewed recordings. Additional changes are coming... only question is when... hopefully this will be addressed in 3rd or 4th quarter this year but cannot promise.

The immediate solution replace HDMI with component cable.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4 (807 Views)
Employee

Your referring to an issue known as Black Crush... using HDMI cable.

past posts moving to component cables improves picture quality on dark scenes.
Tv is broadcast in either 720p or 1080i... component cable.
HDMI is for 1080p such as bluray players. Software issue with Uverse compression and decoding.

The receiver software is Microsoft Media Room purchased by Ericcson last September.
New releases are in the process... receivers have already seen some updates such as itacils on DVR viewed recordings. Additional changes are coming... only question is when... hopefully this will be addressed in 3rd or 4th quarter this year but cannot promise.

The immediate solution replace HDMI with component cable.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 4 (805 Views)
Teacher

Thank you!

Mark

Message 4 of 4 (766 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Having service trouble? There is an app for that! Use our troubleshooting tool or text myATT to 8758 to download the app. It is much faster than posting on our forums. You will also find some helpful articles below.