texasguy37's profile

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

Thursday, April 19th, 2012 5:50 PM

April Carriage Agreements Notice

Below is the latest notice of carriage agreements expiring found in the link below.  Once again, I'm posting this strictly as informative.  It is not intended to stimulate discussion or speculation.

April 17, 2012

April 2012:

While we previously announced a possible change, AT&T and the programmer for the following channels agreed to a temporary extension that is now set to expire in April 2012 and, if a reasonable longer term agreement cannot be reached with the programmer, we may lose the rights to carry the following channels (listed in alphabetical order) on U-verse TV in April 2012: Estrella (channel 3024), HD Net (channel 1105 in HD), HRTV (channel 672), New England Sports Network (NESN) (channel 712/713 and 1712/1713 in HD), and Wealth TV (channel 470 and 1470 in HD). In addition, in the San Diego, CA market area, an impacted local channel is KUSI (channel 9 and 1009 in HD).

May 2012:

While we previously announced a possible change, AT&T and the programmer for the following channels agreed to a temporary extension that is now set to expire in May 2012 and, if a reasonable longer term agreement cannot be reached with the programmer, we may lose the rights to carry the following channels (listed in alphabetical order) on U-verse TV in May 2012: ION, ROOT Sports Northwest (channel 1764), ROOT Sports Pittsburgh (channel 1730), ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain (Channel 1760), and Zee TV (channel 3702).

AT&T's contracts with programmers for the content displayed on our U-verse TV service periodically expire, but are usually re-negotiated or extended with no interruption or change for our U-verse members. Contract(s) for the programming listed below are set to expire as indicated, and AT&T is making every effort to reach a fair agreement to continue carriage. However, if a reasonable agreement cannot be reached with such programmer(s), we will no longer have the rights to carry their programming on U-verse TV. While the programming listed below will continue to be available to U-verse members so long as AT&T has the rights to carry it, if a reasonable agreement cannot be reached with the programmer the programming will no longer be available at that time. 

June 2012:

The impacted national channels (in alphabetical order) are AMC (channel 795 and 1795 in HD), AMC – West (channel 796), CBS Sports Network (channel 643 and 1643 in HD), Cinelatino (channel 3126), Daystar (channel 563), HITN (channel 3055), IFC (channel 797), Multimedios (channel 3065), WE (channel 372), and WE - West (channel 373).

In addition the impacted local channels are: 

(1) For California, in the Los Angeles area, KCAL (channel 9 and 1009 in HD) and KCBS (channel 2 and 1002 in HD); in the Sacramento area, KMAX (channel 31 and 1031 in HD) and KOVR (channel 13 and 1013 in HD); and in the San Francisco area, KBCW (channel 44 and 1044 in HD) and KPIX (channel 5 and 1005 in HD);

(2) For Connecticut, in the Hartford area, WCBS (channel 12 and 1012 in HD);

(3) For Florida, in the Miami area, WBFS (channel 33 and 1033 in HD) and WFOR (channel 4 and 1004 in HD); and in the West Palm Beach area, WFOR (channel 3 and 1003 in HD);

(4) For Georgia, in the Atlanta area, WUPA (channel 69 and 1069 in HD);

(5) For Illinois, in the Chicago area, WBBM (channel 2 and 1002 in HD);

(6) For Michigan, in the Detroit area, JTV (channel 5380), WKBD (channel 50 and 1050 in HD) and WWJ (channel 62 and 1062 in HD);

(7) For New York, in the New York City area, WCBS (channel 2 and 1002 in HD);

(8) For Texas, in the Dallas area, KTVT (channel 11 and 1011 in HD) and KTXA (channel 21 and 1021 in HD). 

Also in June WGN American (channel 180 and 1180 in HD) will be removed from our channel line- mup in the Bakersfield and Monterey, CA; Reno, NV; Charleston, SC and El Paso, TX market areas.  In addition, HDnet Alternate (channel 1107) will be removed from our channel line-up in the Lubbock and Dallas, TX market areas.

http://www.att.com/Common/iptv/files/programming/index.html

Guru

• 

785 Messages

12 years ago

Before everyone Start to Blaming ATT for dropping AMC/IFC and We. Dish has already dropped AMC's sibling channel Sundance and has declared its intention to drop AMC, along with two of its other sibling channels, IFC and WE tv, on Saturday. And Don't go crying to Comcast Because they already raise their rates for the Bay Area in June. And will, Raise their rates for the rest usa by the end of the year.

Expert

• 

14.5K Messages

12 years ago

Here is an interesting article:

As we mentioned last month, Dish Network says its relations with AMC Networks -- which also includes IFC, The Sundance Channel, and WeTV, though people only really care about AMC -- is kaput and as of July 1, subscribers will be left without their meth-making science teachers or slickly dressed ad men. The clock is also ticking on the deal between AMC and AT&T U-Verse that expires this weekend. Regardless, it's the TV-watching consumer that will pay in the end.

In a statement to Consumerist, AT&T argues that "AMC Networks is seeking an excessive rate increase in our overall fees for the right to deliver these channels."

The Death Star claims that AMC is asking it to pay nearly double what it believes its competitors pay.

"We believe the rates they are seeking are disproportionate compared to the viewership we see across their channels," says AT&T, which says that if it accepts the AMC cost increase, it could lead to higher cable prices for subscribers.

The fact is that AT&T and AMC will almost certainly reach some sort of compromise. And that compromise will not be a decrease in the fees paid to the network, which will inevitably lead to higher prices for U-Verse subscribers.

And if AT&T and Dish follow through on their plans to cut these channels from the lineup, then subscribers are still effectively paying higher rates because they are receiving fewer channels for the same price.

Dish appears to be resolute in its decision to say goodbye to AMC, though the network continues to run a campaign asking fans to lobby the network to rethink things.

This situation is yet another example of why broadcasters' practice of bundling minor networks in with hotter properties. Both Dish and AT&T have made it pretty clear that they don't feel their customers want to pay extra for channels they don't watch, and of the channels involved in this dispute, only AMC brings in a decent amount of viewers -- and even that is only for a handful of awesome shows.

Time Warner Cable CEO Glenn Britt said as much when he recently remarked that there are "too many networks... and the industry would take cost out of the system if they shut those networks down and offered lower prices to consumers."

At a time when a small but rapidly growing number of Americans are opting to go without cable or satellite TV for their home entertainment needs, both cable providers and broadcasters should be doing everything to keep customers from cutting the cord.

http://consumerist.com/2012/06/deadline-looms-for-dish-att-u-verse-subscribers-to-get-hosed-in-spat-with-amc.html

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I for one do enjoy the AMC shows and it will be frustrating to me that ATT will drop them. There are a whole bunch of other channels that are not of interest to me but I am not complaining to ATT to remove it. Boy do I wish that we had a la carte selection and pricing.

Mentor

• 

84 Messages

12 years ago

AT&T raises their fees on us every year, what do we do? We pay it, well it's only fair for AT&T to pay the raised fee.

I'll dump AT&T if I miss one show

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

When I signed on as an AT&T customer I was entitled to a certain amount of channels. The "brochure"  I was given by the installation technician shows the channels I paid for. A&E was definitely one of them. If you drop that channel and others I expect a reduction in my monthly bill. What I probably will do is call Comcast or WowWay and change service immediately. I WILL not pay a cancellation fee for doing it. You broke your contract with me. You should pay me a fee for changing of services paid for monthly.

Scholar

• 

108 Messages

12 years ago

AMC or A&E? Read your contract. Channels can be added or dropped @ anytime. Happens with all providers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Simple solution, ATT drops AMC, drop ATT.

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

12 years ago

@shipdog7 wrote:

When I signed on as an AT&T customer I was entitled to a certain amount of channels. The "brochure"  I was given by the installation technician shows the channels I paid for. A&E was definitely one of them. If you drop that channel and others I expect a reduction in my monthly bill. What I probably will do is call Comcast or WowWay and change service immediately. I WILL not pay a cancellation fee for doing it. You broke your contract with me. You should pay me a fee for changing of services paid for monthly.

Hate to burst your bubble, but you should spend some time reading the Terms of Service http://www.att.com/u-verse/att-terms-of-service.jsp . Basically it says they can provide what they want to provide, when they want to provide it, and charge what they want to, and can change their minds on any of those points at any time. The way it's written, the only one capable of not fulfilling the agreement is the customer.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

Teacher

• 

3 Messages

12 years ago

WHAT............... LOSING AMC????

ONE OF BEST FAMILY CHANNELS???

DON'T HAVE HALLMARK CHANNEL

LET'S GET THIS TOGETHER AT&T U-VERSE................ALL OTHER PROVIDERS HAVE BOTH OF THESE CHANNEL'S

SO WHY NOT YOU?????

Scholar

• 

177 Messages

12 years ago

How about these two posts from the Facebook Uverse page:

"If AMC's new rates are excessive, then I guess AMC and AT&T now have something in common."

"A&T complaining about an "excessive rate increase?" That's the funniest thing I've heard all month."

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.