rt123's profile

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 6:25 PM

Any News on Meger

Been any updates on the Uverse/ Directv deal .  

Expert

• 

9.4K Messages

10 years ago

There are several reasons that make me doubt AT&T would attempt to end the U-Verse TV service.

1. There are people who cannot for what ever reason get a satellite dish positioned/mounted to receive a signal (no southern-facing side to their property, trees in the way, etc.). Also, there are people outside the U-Verse footprint that cannot get U-Verse IPTV but could get satellite.

Having both available increases market penetration, which increases subscribers, which increases bargaining power with the content providers, which increases available services.

2. There is a large investment in the U-Verse IPTV infrastructure, they have to monetize that for as long as possible.

3. With the future of content delivery including mobile, portable devices, cars, etc., having the IP connectivity is a big piece of that.

Guru

• 

622 Messages

10 years ago

@Anonymous wrote:

The CEO is saying that the U-verse service will continue. So unless he is lying for some reason we have nothing to worry about.

At first, I was going to say that it would make little sense to get rid of U-Verse...then it hit me that "the U-Verse service will continue" could always mean that it will continue as an Internet and phone service only, but the TV service would be removed (which, among other things, frees up bandwidth for the Internet service) in favor of DirecTV.

The main reason I can think of why I don't think this will happen; too many people live in places where you just can't get satellite TV (mainly on the north side of a mountain, where you can't get a line of sight from the dish to the satellite).

Guru

• 

778 Messages

10 years ago

Best Case Scenario:  For homes that have access to both U-Verse and DTV, maybe AT&T will let a customer trade video for bandwidth.  Want faster internet speeds?  Switch your TV to satellite and then you can use the freed up bandwidth that was used for video for faster internet speed.

Former Employee

• 

66 Messages

10 years ago

that sounds like a good idea.  it also would allow any one who is big sports person, to go with Directv or if they like other programming to go with Uverse.

I do not see that Uverse would be leaving for one main reason.  It is not cheap to lay all the fiber optic lines and for the fact that AT&T is starting to go completly fiber in some area.  Why would you spend that much money over the last 10 years to sudden stop using in?

It was also mentioned that some areas can not use satellite service, either because they can not use the satellite or because their apartment/condo does not allow dishes in their area.

At this time since it will take at least 12 months for anything to happen, it does not make sense to speculate.

I am sure by the end of 2014 / beginning of 2015 we will hear more info.

• 

25.7K Messages

10 years ago

Wow. Now it appears that the merger depends on DTVs getting a renewal on NFL Sunday Ticket. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/05/19/att-directv-deal-hinges-on-nfl-sunday-ticket-package-renewal/

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

Here is some additional information from AP  business writer Ryan Nakashima.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/what-consumers-can-expect-from-at-t-directv-deal/article_fc994657-0f77-5e9c-9b26-9a4ecf4dfd45.html

The last section about new services is interesting in regards to NFL Sunday Ticket. "In a regulatory filing Monday, AT&T said it could call off the merger if DirecTV isn't able to renew NFL Sunday Ticket on terms the two companies have discussed privately."

Beany: I did not see your post before I posted mine. Sorry.

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

Scholar

• 

223 Messages

10 years ago

@SomeJoe7777 wrote:

There are several reasons that make me doubt AT&T would attempt to end the U-Verse TV service.

1. There are people who cannot for what ever reason get a satellite dish positioned/mounted to receive a signal (no southern-facing side to their property, trees in the way, etc.). Also, there are people outside the U-Verse footprint that cannot get U-Verse IPTV but could get satellite.

At the previous house I lived at, I did not have proper line of sight to hook a dish to point at the satellite.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

"In a regulatory filing Monday, AT&T said it could call off the merger if DirecTV isn't able to renew NFL Sunday Ticket on terms the two companies have discussed privately."

THAT is the statement that I find fascinating....$48 BILLION deal dependent on football?

BOYS!!!!  Smiley Frustrated

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@skeeterintexas wrote:

"In a regulatory filing Monday, AT&T said it could call off the merger if DirecTV isn't able to renew NFL Sunday Ticket on terms the two companies have discussed privately."

THAT is the statement that I find fascinating....$48 BILLION deal dependent on football?

BOYS!!!!  Smiley Frustrated

Smiley Very Happy

Even when I did have Direct TV, Sunday Ticket was not a selling factor. At the time it was NASCAR Hot Pass that got me to go to Direct.  The first year I had it I loved it. 4 channels covering 4 different drivers with 3 different audio choices,  national broadcast, DTV driver exclusive broadcast or team in car channel.  Race was constantly shown during commercials including when the national broadcast went to commercials. I believe I paid $50 for the season.  The 2nd year of my DTV contract it was free. Still had 4 dedicated driver channels, but only one audio option.  Haven't missed it after switching to UVerse.

With the NFL, I typically only watch the Cowboys and they are on every week locally and for fantasy purposes, Red Zone has everything else I need.  Can't see paying the price for Sunday Ticket.  It is a big money maker for Direct, though probably as not as big as it once was.

Scholar

• 

155 Messages

10 years ago

I think AT&T and DirecTV will happen if Comcast and Time-Warner Cable also become one.

If this materializes, then I think the video service from DirecTV will be more the platform and not so much U-verse. Reason is because of access. It is vital to reach as many people nationwide as possible. The Internet from AT&T gets not as much coverage. Which also says something about delivery of U-verse. 

The NFL Sunday Ticket is DirecTV's bread and butter. This current contract may be the last with NFL Sunday Ticket. But then again, maybe not. They've been together for about 20 years; DirecTV did launch in 1994. So, I don't buy into AT&T calling off a deal with DirecTV if the latter loses NFL Sunday Ticket. AT&T, which approached DirecTV, wants to not be behind, or be far behind on a Comcast/Time-Warner merger. (Same goes with DirecTV.) So, NFL Sunday Ticket or no NFL Sunday Ticket, I think this AT&T/DirecTV deal is a full commitment between both companies.

As for thread mentions of AT&T U-verse not having some channels that are available from DirecTV, like with the Hallmarks and NHL Network, and looking at from the reverse (what AT&T U-verse carries that isn't currently available by DirecTV), I think they're going to come through in filling those holes. For example as why that is, AT&T has shown that it is Crown Media which needs U-verse more than U-verse in need of the Hallmarks. With the company much bigger, I don't think Crown Media will be able to hold out unless it wants to wiped off the map. So, the frustrated and denied devotees of Hallmark Channel and Hallmark Movie Channel will finally get rewarded.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.