rt123's profile

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

Wednesday, May 7th, 2014 6:25 PM

Any News on Meger

Been any updates on the Uverse/ Directv deal .  

Guru

• 

622 Messages

10 years ago

This is the most recent thing I have seen about it.

Keep in mind that even if both companies agree, it has to go through the FCC and the Department of Justice (to make sure TV and broadband don't turn into monopolies).  Then again, Bell Telephone was forced to break up into something like seven separate regional companies, but at least two of them (Southwest Bell & Pacific Bell) are now owned by AT&T...

ACE - Expert

• 

34.7K Messages

10 years ago

@That Don Guy wrote:

... Then again, Bell Telephone was forced to break up into something like seven separate regional companies, but at least two of them (Southwest Bell & Pacific Bell) are now owned by AT&T...

More than two:

SouthWestern Bell (which is really the basis of what is now called AT&T), PacBell, BellSouth, Ameritech, and LD service.  It's probably at least a third of the original AT&T.

Scholar

• 

81 Messages

10 years ago

According to this story AT&T will buy directv for $50 billion. Offical announcement could come within the next two weeks.

https://tv.yahoo.com/news/t-offer-100-share-directv-bloomberg-213823239--sector.html

Scholar

• 

223 Messages

10 years ago

If the deal goes through, that means that AT&T will shut down its U-verse service and rely solely on DirecTV's satellite service.  AT&T could use its soon-to-be former U-verse service to increase Internet bandwidth instead.

Does that mean that networks currently on U-verse that are not on DirecTV could be dropped?  Pac-12 and BBC World News are two of many examples.

If that happened, that would kill my reason for returning to U-verse early next year.

ACE - Professor

• 

2.5K Messages

10 years ago

@CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

If the deal goes through, that means that AT&T will shut down its U-verse service and rely solely on DirecTV's satellite service.  AT&T could use its soon-to-be former U-verse service to increase Internet bandwidth instead.

Does that mean that networks currently on U-verse that are not on DirecTV could be dropped?  Pac-12 and BBC World News are two of many examples.

If that happened, that would kill my reason for returning to U-verse early next year.

Please show us your source for this information. Do you have a link?

It looks like there is going to be a merger. Skeeterintexas found this link, and posted it on another thread.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/05/17/att-directv-sunday-announcement/9215735/

Owning a computer and not having the internet is like buying a refrigerator and not stocking it with food.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.6K Messages

10 years ago

Looks like this is going to be a long haul process according to Bloomberg
ATT to acquire Direct

"Under the plan being discussed, management of DirecTV, the largest U.S. satellite-TV provider, will continue to run the company as a unit of AT&T

ACE - Master

• 

6.9K Messages

10 years ago

@CostaMesaCAGuy wrote:

The day that happens is the day I will drop UVerse like a hot potatoe. I've had both Dish and Direct and will never again have a satellite tv provider.  Too many variables and the weather in Texas can get too severe for me NOT to have a reliable TV service.

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

10 years ago

If Uverse goes to satilite only that would be a deal breaker for me because my house has to many trees aroundi it can't support satilite dish .

Scholar

• 

411 Messages

10 years ago

I don't think Uverse is going to give up its wireless reciever serivce Directv just wants help with internet and phone service IMO .

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.