For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Brekie's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, September 26th, 2019 3:27 AM

Closed

Annoying narrator on new season

Why in the world would you add a silly woman's voice to narrate everything that they do including "X ray, they're leaving the Room, he's doing this and so on, to the top TV programs like this is us, Amsterdam, Chicago med?  It's so distracting because you're treating us like 2 year olds that can't understand what we're seeing and if this keeps up unfortunately at least 5 or 6 of the programs I forgot the ninja Warriors too,  You will force me to stop watching my favorite programs. If it aint broke why fix it with this nonsense!   I am watching dish network TV

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

5 years ago

This has nothing to do with Uverse or AT&T.  What you are hearing is Audio Description and it is an option on your TV.  Look in your TV owner's manual to see how to turn it "off".  Most likely it will be on the Menu screen of your TV. 

• 

4 Messages

This is NOT part of my TV because it is an older version that does not have an "accessibility" feature. This is something broadcast by NBC for this show. How do I turn it off?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

You will force me to stop watching my favorite programs

Uh, what?   You don't have to watch it with that audio.  You can just listen to it!    It's specifically designed for people who cannot watch or watch clearly.  You seriously have never heard of SAP audio (second auto program)? Man Surprised    Att doesn't add that audio to the program, it's the station distributing it that does.

Disable it on your dvr or receiver if you don't want it.  On S10 remotes press the zoom/enter button.  On S20/S30 remotes press the options button.  In either case you will see a menu slide in on the right.  Select audio language (don't worry that it what is displayed might say English and Spanish).  Whatever yo got it set to choose the other.  The SAP channel should then be disabled.

You can do a similar operation by choosing menu -> options -> audio/language -> audio language.

@skeeterintexas 

After doing a little verification I don't think controlling the SAP will work by trying to control the alternate audio from the tv, at least unless it's taking input from the antenna, not the HDMI.  I only have two tv's to test this on and one doesn't even support alternate audio, so basically I have one data point!  My second tv allows alternate audio and by a little luck there happened to be an NBC show on that contained it.  That tv's alternate audio setting was enabled with my antenna input but disabled with the HDMI input from the receiver.  So for using the receiver you have to control it from that receiver.  I don't know if this is true in general but the reason I tried it at all was because you were suggesting it could be controlled by the tv when connected to the receiver and I had my suspicions about that.

Oddly enough with that NBC program, with alternate audio from the receiver when using it's input on the tv, or the tv when using its antenna input, the two choices for that program display as English and Spanish.  I think the wording of the choices is controlled by the station and therefore the tv gets it directly through it's antenna (PSIP info maybe) and att sends it to the dvr/receiver however they get info.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.7K Messages

5 years ago

@_xyzzy_   Here's what I find confusing and the reason that I assumed it was a setting on the TV and not the Uverse equipment.  I watch a LOT of TV and I have NEVER heard any Audio Description.  All 3 of my TVs have the On Screen Language set to English. 

I'd love for someone to give me the heads up on a program that has AD so I can test it out.  Smiley LOL  The OP gave ANW as an example...I watch ANW....I've never heard AD.  I'm so confused.... Smiley Frustrated

Funny side story...years ago my late sister was so upset because she said someone was "talking in Spanish" over her programs.  This was OTA programming and it was when AD was first integrated into TVs.  Admittedly, I had to do some research to walk her through turning the AD off on her TV.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

@skeeterintexas 

I'd love for someone to give me the heads up on a program that has AD so I can test it out.

Yeah, I just enable Spanish on my dvr and went searching for a program to retest it.  It was the middle of the day, no luck.  You might have better luck in the evening, particularly on new shows.  The one I happened to stumble into last night at the time I saw this thread was one of those NBC Chicago series.  Except in the case of using the SAP channel for another language you only hear the audio description in places where there is no other audio in a scene (well, maybe except background music).  So that makes it a little harder to pin down when you are really trying to find places where it exists.

I would expect PBS more than other channels to have it.  It was watching PBS many years ago that originally made me aware of SAP because PBS actually did post a banner at the beginning of a show making the viewer aware of it.  I don't think they do anymore though.  I also don't know if the SAP channel is recorded on the dvr so that you hear it in playback (assuming SAP was enabled when originally recorded).

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

Here's the fun part...I have gone to the correct place in the menu options and made sure the narrator is turned off.  But it's still talking...

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

And, I'm wrong.  That is for the screen instruction narrator.  This scene commentary (obviously for the blind or vision impaired) cannot be turned off by any menu screen I can find.

Tutor

• 

16 Messages

4 years ago

I can't find any thing on uverse settings to remove this frickin narration.  I understand the need for it but want it to stop as we don't need it.   (It still comes on the dvr playback) HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  (although it gives Adrienne Barbeau a job)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I found how to stop this for our Uverse TV.  

Click zoom in the remote (lower right)

That brings up Options on screen 

Select Audio Language 

Switched from Espanol (no idea how it got this way)

To Primary(EnhancedAC3)

No more narration

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

See my description below.  Hope it helps 

• 

1 Message

2 years ago

Very annoying, total distraction.  I turned off Chicago Med, Chicago fire and Chicago PD.  I won't watch if this continues...another decent show(s) ruined by stupidity. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.