Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT vs Comcast

Contributor

ATT vs Comcast

We live near Houston and have had Comcast for several years. Last summer we had to move into temporary housing and we decided to give AT&T a try. We've had AT&T for nine months now and we haven't been very happy with it (not that we liked Comcast much, either.) In a couple of weeks, we are moving again, and we need to decide whether to keep AT&T or go back to Comcast.

AT&T's channel line up seems to be almost entirely made up of infomercials. I don't like paying this amount of money for so many channels that are nothing but people trying to sell me something. It's all just garbage. And the HBO package is quite expensive. We only wanted HBO but we were forced to take other channels we didn't want. Another small problem was the onscreen guide, which is in print too small for us to read easily. But that wouldn't be a deal-breaker if the channel line up was any good.

I think we had a smaller line up package with Comcast (mainly because when we first signed up with them, we had fewer financial resources.) But I don't remember so many infomercials on Comcast. AT&T seems to be primarily infomercials and Pay Per View channels, none of which I want. We are seriously considering going back to Comcast.

I just want to make sure I can't get a better deal with AT&T. I find their different packages confusing to sort out (I admit it. I'm not that smart and definitely not tech smart.) 

Is direct TV a better option for people who don't watch a lot of TV? There are really only a handful of channels we watch regularly, but we're paying a fortune for plenty of channels we never watch.

With Direct, can you choose your own channel line up? I haven't really looked into it, but I will this week. That might be the only thing that keeps me from going back to Comcast. 

I have to have a package that includes Turner Classic Movies, which--annoyingly--is never included in a basic cable package.

Any advice is sincerely and greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tamara

Message 1 of 5
Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by birdygirl
‎04-10-2019 6:57 PM

Re: ATT vs Comcast

ATT Uverse has 4 packages... 

Ufamily, U200, U300 and U450

The last two includes movie packages thus U300 without HBO/Cinamax or U450 with both.

DirecTv, last time I looked is 6 packages, similar pricing, to Uverse IPTV packages.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each.

For me a big difference is Uverse is a 12 month promotion with higher prices (retail) after 12 months but no longer in contract. $180 ETF prorated $15 per month over 12 months.

DirecTv is a 24 month contract, $480 ETF prorated $20 per month over 24 months. But discount price is only for months 1-12 while months 13-24 is full price unless willing to pay $240 to get out of contract discounts ends at month 12.

*I am an AT&T employee, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 5
Contributor

Thank you very much for your reply. We currently have the 300 package and it's too expensive for what we get. But we don't want to sign up for a two year contract. I'm going to check out ATT's cheaper packages and if they seem more reasonable, consider staying with ATT. But if they're all infomercials too, it's back to Comcast.

Thanks.

Message 3 of 5
ACE - Professor

What I found out is that when the promos end, call back and act like you're going to cancel and they'll hit you with another deal.

My current promo is $148 with U-300 plus HBO/Cinemax, HD, 110 Mbps internet and 200 minutes of phone. That price is the same as my old promo, but includes HBO/Cinemax and my internet speed doubling. The old promo ran for one year and this also runs for one year.

As far as paid programming, I hid those channels via the "menu" button on my remote. Most of them are in the 2-99 and 1002-1099 range. There's also a few in the 1400 range. Once I hid them, I forgot they existed. I also hid the religious channels and SD channels that have a HD version. I have a plethora of channels left over.

What channels are you missing that you can't find?

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 5
ACE - Expert

You might want to compare packages using THIS LINK

If there is a particular network you want (ie: TCM), you'll have to pay for that package.  No provider, AT&T/DirecTV/Comcast, allows you to choose individual channels.  This is referred to as "a-la-cart" pricing and no one does it as it would be too expensive.   You can add on a premium network like HBO but check the pricing on this option.  Sometimes it's cheaper to go with the next level up if you desire certain premium channels.

All providers will have new customer pricing.  You may get a good deal from Comcast for the first year but like all the others, the price will increase down the road.

No one is going to do your homework for you and only you can make that decision.  Caveat Emptor....let the buyer beware.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements
Additional Support