Explore & discover

Helpful Links

"SWM not detected"

Tutor

"SWM not detected"

I have a HR24, a slimline dish, and a SWM LNB. I have everything connected and according to my "Satellite Finder" meter I have good strong signal. I go thru the Satellite setup menu and I get the "SWM not detected" error.

I know the SWM is good because it came from a working system. I know the HR24 is working because I took it to my son's house and connected it in place of one of his receivers and it worked. I get nothing on the Signal screen.

My son thinks I am on the wrong satellite but I think it should see the SWM even if I am not on a satellite.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: "SWM not detected"

where's the power inserter? if it has no power, or if the cabling is wrong, you'll get this error.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Tutor

There is no PI, the HR24 supplies the power to the LNB

Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by vettedrvr
‎08-26-2017 9:19 AM

This is an SWM system, and the HR24 can't supply power to the LNB, you need a power inserter.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 21
Teacher

can you please provide the model number of the power supply I have a simialr issue?

thanks

Message 5 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎10-12-2018 10:35 AM

@vgent1 wrote:

can you please provide the model number of the power supply I have a simialr issue?

thanks

You need this ....

https://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?p=pi-29z

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 21
Teacher

thank you why is the power inserter required?

Message 7 of 21
Teacher

is a power inserter required for a Swim 3 dish?

Message 8 of 21
ACE - Expert

@vgent1 wrote:

is a power inserter required for a Swim 3 dish?

Yes. "SWM" stands for "Single Wire Multiswitch", and it needs a power supply (power inserter). But note that the newer HR54 and HS17 Genie DVRs have that built-in, so a separate power inserter is not required. Give us more details about what you're trying to do.

Message 9 of 21
Teacher

hi I am trying to bring one of my H24-100 receivers to my  parents house over Easter week so that I can watch MLB extra innings, they recently had SD boxes and assume they still have the old dish.  They were in the process of getting a new SWIm 3 dish, but while I was checking online I am confused if they need a power inserter ?

Can you please confirm

Message 10 of 21
ACE - Expert

@vgent1 wrote:

hi I am trying to bring one of my H24-100 receivers to my  parents house over Easter week so that I can watch MLB extra innings, they recently had SD boxes and assume they still have the old dish.  They were in the process of getting a new SWIm 3 dish, but while I was checking online I am confused if they need a power inserter ?

Can you please confirm

If your parents already had their dish upgraded to SWM-3 dish, then they already have a power inserter. That dish won't work without a power inserter. 

Message 11 of 21
Teacher

thanks so very much so very much for your response I appreciate it? I just want to clarify what you are saying.   I will need a power inserter for my parents old dish?  Can you recommend one for me?  In addition are you saying that their old dish with work my h24-100 receiver along with a power inserter?

please advise

thanks

Message 12 of 21
Teacher

in addition for DIRECT TV DIRECTV DTV SLIMLINE kaku SATELLITE DISH Antenna SWM3 SWiM 3 SL3s will I need a power inserter? if so what model number/voltage will I need?

Message 13 of 21
ACE - Expert

@vgent1 ,

If your parents already have a Slimline SWM dish, then their equipment should already include the necessary SWM Power Inserter. 

What models are their Receivers/DVRs?

If they have an HR54 or HS17 Genie DVR, then the power inserter is built into the Genie.

If for some reason they actually don't have the required power inserter, it's this ....

Also available on Amazon.

Message 14 of 21
Teacher

thanks so very much my parents I believe still have the SD dish but are soon to be getting the new dish and HD24 boxes like me.  So will I be able to bring my H24/100 receiver to watch on their old SD dish? and will I need a power inserter? Also how is the power inserter connected? 

thanks in advance  

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support