Helpful Links

direct tv picture freezing

Contributor

direct tv picture freezing

my picture will run for a minute or two then freeze again

Message 1 of 73
Contributor

Re: direct tv picture freezing

This is really disappointing.  We have been a loyal Direct TV customer for over 20 years and when we moved last year we had Direct TV installed at our new home.  What a mistake.  We are having the same issue as described here.  The picture freezes for a minute or so.  Sometimes you have to change channels to get the picture back.  Doesn’t seem to matter if it is live tv or something we have recorded.  The channel doesn’t seem to matter either.  Happens on more than one tv.  Sometimes is it once a day and sometimes it is numerous times in an evening.  Frustrated.  In a year our contract will be up - looks like Dish will be getting our business.  

Message 46 of 73
Tutor

Others are experiencing this problem however they don’t complain because
you feel nothing will be done. In addition to picture freezing my guide is
slow and will sometimes disappear. I will start calling every week about
this problem and will also start looking into other companies. I pay too
much money to settle for this type of service.
Message 47 of 73
Contributor

By any chance does anyone have an email address that actually gets to someone who may care at Directv?  I don't think the poor souls who work the 800 number (or the online chat) have any idea what is happening.  I called again today because my son would like to add NBA League Pass for his birthday.  Its $39.99/mo for 5 months.  I in no way want to give DirectV more money when I give them over $150 a month now & my screen freezing problem seems like it will never be resolved.  I asked the person on the 800 number if they would be willing to give me a discount on League Pass & they said no.  So....anyone know if I can email someone?

Message 48 of 73
ACE - Expert

@kari3323 wrote:

By any chance does anyone have an email address that actually gets to someone who may care at Directv? .....  So....anyone know if I can email someone?

There's no direct email address.

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 49 of 73
Teacher

Sorry, I dont know of an email..their customer service really is the worst....I was having similar issues with my DirectTV freezing over and over and a tech came out and looked at it gave me some new remotes and said the problem was a loose cable and I wouldn't have any more issues, but then a week later it started doing the same thing again-- the worst part is when I called the 2nd time to have someone fix it, they said I would have to wait 5 days for someone to come out and fix it-- 5 days-- and i was going to get a $15 credit for no TV for 5 days-- Are you kidding.. $15? The really bad part is there is an AT & T office about 2 miles down the road and you can PAY your DIRECTV bill in the office but you can't go down and get any service on your account or just go in and get another cable box which is ridiculous. I got so frustrated with it I just cancelled it and switched to DISH. Why would I continue to pay $140 month for crappy cable. They had plenty of chances to fix it but they chose to ignore the problem which is fine with me. Now I'm a happy DISH customer. Good Luck-- if you still stuck in a contract I would recommend you have AT&T send you a copy of all the times you asked for service and if you have that then cancel you should be able to fight the early contract termination. Good Luck!!
Message 50 of 73
Contributor

Doesn't matter what TV or channel we are on. It will freeze for a few seconds and then play again... Kinda wish I never upgraded to the 4k genie.. How do we resolve this issue??? 

Message 51 of 73
Contributor

Sorry to inform you there seems to be no resolution to the problem at this
time. I have been experiencing the same issue for months now and after
doing some research here is what I've been able to determine.

The problem is not unique to the Genie or 4K equipment, I have neither.
In most cases it has nothing to do with reception or hardware. Reception
problems normally exhibit pixels (small squares) in addition to the
freezing.
The freezing occurs when watching live TV as well as recordings.
Most information points to a software issue.
This is not something new and Direct TV doesn't seem to be in any hurry to
resolve the problem.

I can only speculate the fix is so expensive they are not financially
motivated to resolve it at present.
Message 52 of 73
Teacher

Thats a shame-- poor customer service is getting to be the norm these days.

e type your reply above this line -##
Message 53 of 73
Contributor

ME too.   I went online for help.  Didn't work.

Message 54 of 73
Contributor

As soon as I channel up or down, it fixes it.  It's aggravating to have to do that all the time.   It costs TOO much money to have to do that .   The online guy reset my box for me.  I reset the box.  He did satellite set up again.  NOTHING fixed it.  It just started this mess.   

Message 55 of 73
Contributor

That's horrible customer service.

Message 56 of 73

We switched to dish could not be happier good luck
Message 57 of 73
Tutor

I was told last November (2017) that you were working on a fix and just wait a few months.  A year later still no fix. 

Message 58 of 73
Teacher

Until AT&T decides to get serious about this issue they will continue to lose customers. I'm amazed that this isn't a priority for a company this size. I got fed up with AT&T saying it was a loose cable or bad weather or whatever and just switched to dish and haven't had any issues at all. If you complain and they dont fix it I would get a record of all your complaints and then just cancel and refuse to pay any early termination because of their failure to resolve this. Good Luck!!
Message 59 of 73
Contributor

This is happening on 2 tvs.  One is worse than the other.

Message 60 of 73
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support