ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Contributor

ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

For the last 3 weeks I have been having an issue with channel 509  (HBO Zone)coming up with an error message YOUR TV DOES NOT SUPPORT THIS PROGRAM'S CONNECT PROTECTION.  REPLACING THE TV'S HDMI CABLE WITH COMPONET CABLES WILL ALLOW YOU TO VIEW THIS PROGRAM. (EXT.900).  I called in a toruble report, was sent a new DVR box.  Replaced it and the problem was gone for one day.  Then it came back.  An installer came out with new HDMI cable and a RBG cable.  He swapped out the HDMI cable and the issue disappeared for two days.  Then came back.  I have called in again and was told to remove HDMI cable and use only the component cables RBG/RWY.  Again the problem cleared for less than a day.  So I went out purchased new gold tip cables - HDMI, RBG/RWY ... I just want to know what is going on with this one channel.  What changes has Directv done recently?  Why do I have to keep calling in to try to find a resolution?  Does any one have any ideas on what is causing this issue and which cables should be used?

8,930 Views
Message 1 of 18
Employee

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

this is being caused by HDCP (copy protection) and this is only enforced with HDMI cables only.   there reason why it may appear that the problem goes away is because not all movies might have this copy protection.  it appears that your T  might not be HDCP complaint.  what model of TV do you have?

 

if your TV is NOT HDCP complaint, then you only choice is to switch to component cables.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

To follow on from the previous posts.  Some channels (particularly HBO) are now enforcing the HDCP copyright protection protocol on some shows.  This means that whenever you tune to one of these programs, the DirecTv box checks the HDMI link to your TV and tests it for HDCP compliance.  If the TV does not send back the correct responses, you get the message. Component video does not have HDCP so switching cables solves the problem.

Sometimes rebooting the DVR, or powering down the TV completely (removing the power plug from the wall)  can eliminate "false" HDCP errors, otherwise you will have to live with it. And more of the premium channels will be enforcing HDCP in the future.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 18
Expert

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Any time you connect a HDMI cable to the output of a device, even if the other end is not in use or the device it's plugged into is shut down, the HDMI cable will activate the handshake. Thus you should always unplug any unused HDMI cables from both ends.

 

Some folks have both HDMI and component feeding two different TV's and it's necessary to have the HDMI one up and running for the component to work.  So, any time you advise someone to try component to solve HDMI problems, one should add the admonition "be sure to disconnect the HDMI cable at both ends".

Message 4 of 18
Tutor

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

I have the same problem - 2 displays: 1) a 1080p projector that requires the HDMI port (but which I can't use in the daytime), and 2) an LCD tv.   The situation where those of us with 2 displays aren't able to get certain channels we pay for on the component connection, without manually unconnecting and reconnecting cables, is very unsatisfactory.  Fact is, to get around this problem requires DVRs with 2 HDMI out ports, but Directv doesn't offer them, and, for that matter, neither does Comcast or even the highest end Tivo boxes.

 

  I hope others will contact their providers to raise this as an issue.  I know it may be required of Directv to do this, but The failure of the Content-creators, Premium Channels, and Distribution Providers (cable/satellite) to get their act together has created a mess.

Message 5 of 18
Employee

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Quote: Originally Posted by dndell 

I have the same problem - 2 displays: 1) a 1080p projector that requires the HDMI port (but which I can't use in the daytime), and 2) an LCD tv.   The situation where those of us with 2 displays aren't able to get certain channels we pay for on the component connection, without manually unconnecting and reconnecting cables, is very unsatisfactory.  Fact is, to get around this problem requires DVRs with 2 HDMI out ports, but Directv doesn't offer them, and, for that matter, neither does Comcast or even the highest end Tivo boxes.

 

  I hope others will contact their providers to raise this as an issue.  I know it may be required of Directv to do this, but The failure of the Content-creators, Premium Channels, and Distribution Providers (cable/satellite) to get their act together has created a mess.

all the TV service providers support a one TV per receiver set up.  and the system is design as such.  jury-rigging a system is up to the user and as such, the user must do what ever is necessary to make it work at their own expense.  and the problem you are having has nothing to do with DIrecTV, it has to do with DHCP, which is a Hollywood created scheme to prevent us from copying content that we rent.  crazy, Huh??

 

Best to start your own new thread using the "Create New Post" button on the main forum page. Your problem may very well be different from the original poster's. With a new thread you can provide more information about your equipment, location, and troubleshooting you've tried so far. And this forum software makes it difficult to track or respond to folks that add onto someone else's thread. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 18
Tutor

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

You might be right about a separate thread, though I believe my problem is the exact same one outlined by the first poster (though they do have just a single tv, I suppose).  What makes this important, though, is that component and HDMI have always worked flawlessly together for 2 TVs on all Directv channels, regardless of connection.  This issue is new, & as far as I can tell is unique to that one HBO channel HBOZHD.  I agree Directcv isn't responsible, per se, but I have no relationship with content creators - I do with Directv and, indirectly, HBO.  So I've contacted each of them.  I believe this one channel is a stalking horse bu HBO to see if they can please the DHCP advocates and take away something we've always had - to see how much blowback they get.  As such, I believe it's important to let them both Directv and HBO know that this change isn't invisible, and (for me at least) isn't acceptable. 

Message 7 of 18
ACE - Expert

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Quote: Originally Posted by dndell 

You might be right about a separate thread, though I believe my problem is the exact same one outlined by the first poster (though they do have just a single tv, I suppose).  What makes this important, though, is that component and HDMI have always worked flawlessly together for 2 TVs on all Directv channels, regardless of connection.  This issue is new, & as far as I can tell is unique to that one HBO channel HBOZHD.  I agree Directcv isn't responsible, per se, but I have no relationship with content creators - I do with Directv and, indirectly, HBO.  So I've contacted each of them.  I believe this one channel is a stalking horse bu HBO to see if they can please the DHCP advocates and take away something we've always had - to see how much blowback they get.  As such, I believe it's important to let them both Directv and HBO know that this change isn't invisible, and (for me at least) isn't acceptable. 


Best to start a new thread.  Your issue may be due to HDCP copy protection on those HBO channels. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 18

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

I have been seeing this error as well(only when changing to movie channels), though it disappears before I can finish reading it. My TV a Panasonic CT-36HL43G, and is in fact HDCP compliant when used with the DVI input(as I am doing). So am I getting this message because DVI is not a 2 way communication, or because there is a delay, between the channel being changed, and the DVR realizing it is connected to an HDCP device? This started happening about 3 months ago(what changed?) I have a DTV HR22(for 2 yrs+ now and never saw this message before), connected to a Pioneer VSX 1020(by HDMI) which is then feeding the TV through the DVI connection(the best one the TV has according to it's manual). Like I said, this is recent, and seems to only appear when changing to a movie channel. I guess I just wanna make sure I'm getting the HD that I am paying for...

Message 9 of 18
Employee

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

have you tried bypassing your Pioneer AV receiver

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 10 of 18

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Why on earth would I do that? It is the only way to get a digital HD signal and the digital sound. The receiver is also HDCP compliant according to the manual. So bypassing it has "what to do with the price of tea in China?"

Message 11 of 18
Professor

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Quote: Originally Posted by milehighxr

I have been seeing this error as well(only when changing to movie channels),though it disappears before I can finish reading it.My TV a Panasonic CT-36HL43G, and is in fact HDCP compliant when used with the DVI input(as I am doing). So am I getting this message because DVI is not a 2 way communication, or because there is a delay, between the channel being changed, and the DVR realizing it is connected to an HDCP device? This started happening about 3 months ago(what changed?) I have a DTV HR22(for 2 yrs+ now and never saw this message before), connected to a Pioneer VSX 1020(by HDMI) which is then feeding the TV through the DVI connection(the best one the TV has according to it's manual). Like I said, this is recent, and seems to only appear when changing to a movie channel. I guess I just wanna make sure I'm getting the HD that I am paying for...


If it is disappearing and the Movie plays you do not have a problem, except for the slow channel change and the handshake time to verify that the units are HDCP compliant.

You might try going into Settings, Display and set only the 1080i resolution and turn Native to OFF to try to speed up the channel changes. This might eliminate the slow change and the message.

 

There have been a lot of posters that have had this being caused by their AV receivers.

Bypassing it for a test is an easy quick test to see if the problem is in the TC, The Cable or the AV receiver.

 

You can thank the Movie producers for the message. It has been forced on all of the companies that are sending out their material.

 

The DTV receivers have an optical connection or a digital coax connection or both for digital sound. I use the optical cables on my systems.

Message 12 of 18
Employee

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

Quote: Originally Posted by milehighxr 

Why on earth would I do that? 


Because this is how he trouble shooting process works, ie process of elimination.  By eliminating the AV receiver, you may be able to find out the culprit.  Is your choice of course!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 13 of 18
Tutor

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

I got the ext. 900 message for the first time yesterday.  Called Tech Support and was told that I had to remove the HDMI cables.  I refused to give up HDMI since it has worked for years and my Blu-Ray and Playstation 3 are routed through an Onkyo A/V Receiver to the TV and all would be stuck with component signal.  He agreed to ship a new HR24 but he doesn't think that will solve the problem.  I was thinking that DirecTV make a copy protection change since only HBO, Cinemax, Stars, and Encore channels were blocked.  Showtime, Movie Channel, and the HD Extra channels still came through.  No problem with my other TV attached to a HR44 Genie.  I was able to playback the HBO recording from my HR24 to my other TV okay.

Accepting that maybe there was a problem with either the HDMI cable from my HR24 to the A/V Receiver or from the A/V Receiver to the TV, I decided to directly connect the HR24 to the TV.  I tuned the HR24 to channel 501 and got the ext. 900 message.  Then I unplugged the A/V Receiver to TV cable first.  Then when I was unplugging the cable on the HR24, I got the wrong cable and unplugged the USB cable that feeds the AM21 Off-Air Tuner.  I immediately heard dialog from the movie playing on HBO.  I plugged the HDMI cable from the TV back into the A/V Receiver and had picture.  I plugged the USB cable back in and still received picture.  I moved the USB cable to the USB port on the front of the HR24, rebooted the HR24, and received the ext 900 message for a second or two then the message went away and stayed away.

I have no idea what the USB port and the AM21 have to do with the HR24 thinking that HDCP is failing but they are clearly involved in this problem.  Maybe Tech Support should ask ext 900 callers if they have an AM21 or anything else connected to the DirecTV Receiver USB ports.

Message 14 of 18
Expert

Re: ch 509 has error msg "replace hdmi cable with component cables to view channel. (ext.900)

A couple of points.  You are piggy backing onto a thread that is going on two years old.  Rather than putting all readers out by forcing them to read all the old posts, a nice fresh post would be the right thing to do.

The movie channels that usually broadcast in HD have been slowly adding HDCP coding to their movies.  If your AVR and/or TV is more than a couple of years old there is a good chance one or the other is not compliant.  Those with fully compliant equipment never seem to post as having the 900 message.  I suppose anything is possible in regards the AM21 and the HDCP situation, but I can't see how right off the bat.  Some of the fault messages can be "gotten around" by fiddling with the system, but in those cases the message will soon pop up again.

Message 15 of 18
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the Watching DIRECTV Forum! Need to troubleshoot your service? Need to see some of the products we offer? Wondering how to take your DVR with you? Click below!

Additional Support