Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wrong local channels

Tutor

Wrong local channels

I am getting the wrong local channels.  I live in North Carolina, but am getting Virginia local channels.  I have contacted DirecTV twice already today about this issue, and twice they said they were going to correct it.  Nothing happened.  The first guy (Sean) flat out lied to me and said he fixed it and my channels would update shortly.  5 hours later, no change.  The second guy (Harvey) said he was going to escalate it and that someone would call me after one hour to verify that things changed.   They did not, and I still haven't gotten a phone call 2 hours later.  If they can't do it, then ok.  But don't lie to me.  The cable company has the right local channels.  Don't get me wrong, I like DirecTV.  But, I want North Carolina channels.  Anyone ever dealt with this kind of thing?

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert

Re: Wrong local channels

What's your zip code/county?  Your service address determines which dMA you are in and those are the locals DirecTV is REQUIRED BY THE FCC to deliver to you. Cable has different rules based on where the cable company is based and also which channels might be grandfatherd because they were in place before the FCC changed the rules.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 22
Tutor

Message 3 of 22
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎09-23-2018 9:22 PM

you are in the   Norfolk Newport News VA DMA and those are the locals you get.. The FCC decides this and DirecTV can't change it.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 22
Tutor

Well that stinks.  News from up there does nothing for me.  In addition, I get whatever regional sports they have, instead of NC teams.  Looks like I'm going back to cable.

Message 5 of 22
ACE - Expert

Lots of people don't like it but it is an FCC rule based on pressure from the broadcasters.

Message 6 of 22
Highlighted

I am having same problem.  Few days ago my local channels in St. Louis were replaced with Los Angeles.  No where near LA.  What is the explanation for that?  If this is such a big problem I can't believe it is not fixed.  I am doing a trial for Youtube Tv and I am getting the correct local channels with them on the same device.  I have had 3 chats and they told me they escalated this but reading all the posts I don't think it is going to be fixed any time soon.  AT&T falls under the Public Service Commission.  I am going to file a complaint there to see if I can get an answer.  

Message 7 of 22
ACE - Expert

What's your zip code? 

Message 8 of 22

Message 9 of 22
ACE - Expert

In 63038 you are supposed to get St Louis locals. Exactly which channels are you seeing?

Message 10 of 22

Yes I am supposed to get St. Louis locals which I had been getting until
3-4 dqys ago. We are in a suburb of St. Louis Country. I did see comments
about the geolocation issues. I checked my roku on my ipad and i could
view the correct local channels on it. Also, our municipality, Wildwood,
which is in St. Louis County, incorporated about 22 years ago, combined
about 8 different municipalities. Ours previously was Glencoe, Missouri.
My IP address locator is 12.9.106.7 which comes up as Glencoe. Not sure if
this is the issue. I did change my billing on y roku as Glencoe, Missouri,
signed out and back in and still incorrect locals. Not sure what to do
from here. I bought 6 rokus so no way I can afford to buy Apple Tv's at
this point. As I mentioned in my first post, I am getting them with
Youtube TV now. I prefer to keep DirectvNow because the channel lineup is
much better.

Message 11 of 22

Using the IP lookup tool I get the following which would explain why I am getting local channels in Los Angeles.  I have contacted my IP provider with a screen shot of this information to see if there is something on their end.  It is possible the information is wrong in the data base somewhere.  Not sure if I start another chat if it will go anywhere.  Several other locators show the correct one.   So what am I supposed to do from here?

IP Address Lookup Tool

What is my IP address - we all wonder at times. This tool will instantly show you what is your IP address.

Your IP: 12.9.106.7

Continent: North America
Country Code: US
Country CF: 99
Region: Southwest
State: California
State Code: Ca
State CF: 97
DMA: 803
MSA: 31100
City: Los Angeles
Postal Code: 90013
Timezone: GMT-08:00
Area Code: 323
City CF: 95
Latitude: 34.04564
Longitude: -118.24164

My IP Address Is:
IPv4: 

IPv6: 
Not detected

My IP Information:

ISP:City:Region:Country:
Bay 's ET Highspeed Internet Service
Glencoe
Missouri
United States
Hide My IP

Javascript disabled or geolocation map not available.

Click for more details
about 12.9.106.7

Leaflet | © OpenStreetMap Terms
Click for more about 12.9.106.7
Location not accurate? Update your IP location

IP Address Lookup Tool

What is my IP address - we all wonder at times. This tool will instantly show you what is your IP address.

Your IP: 12.9.106.7

Continent: North America
Country Code: US
Country CF: 99
Region: Southwest
State: California
State Code: Ca
State CF: 97
DMA: 803
MSA: 31100
City: Los Angeles
Postal Code: 90013
Timezone: GMT-08:00
Area Code: 323
City CF: 95
Latitude: 34.04564
Longitude: -118.24164
Message 12 of 22

Did you have any other ideas why I am not getting the local channels.  I am getting them on my ipad but not my windows pc or rokus.  Thank you for your assistance.

Message 13 of 22
ACE - Expert

Are you complaining about DirecTV or DirecTV NOW. This forum is for DirectV the satellite service so won't anwer any questions about DirecTV NoW.

Message 14 of 22

Apologies.  I thought I was on DirectvNow.  

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support