Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Wireless connection settings

Scholar

Wireless connection settings

I am using a wireless access point to connect to the internet per this post: http://forums.directv.com/pe/action/forums/displaysinglethread?rootPostID=10374087&returnExpertiseCo.... I have a network in my house that I manually setup for all IP address set to 10.0.x.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 I have setup the Wireless access device with the SSID the Security Code and set its IP address to 10.0.0.15.

When I connect it to the DTV DVR what setting do I put into DVR network setting for the IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS. I put in the following which does not work. I get an error 22 on the Internet

IP: 10.0.0.15 and also tried 10.0.0.14
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.0.0.3 (my router that connects to DSL modem)
DNS: 151.164.1.8 (provided by my ISP)
Message 1 of 5
Teacher

Re: Wireless connection settings

You're off the "default" settings of most home based networks, so I'm going to assume you know what you're doing ;-)

But in case, ruling out the "easy" problems first:

1) Have you tried the access point on a computer with its other network connections turned off? Most houses I've seen that have trouble with their adapters (Of any sort - not just access point clients, but also gaming adapters, etc.) have the same problem trying to connect to their network with the access point client/ethernet adapter, period. IOW, take one of your wired desktops or wireless laptops/desktops and turn off/unplug its usual internet connection and try using the wireless adapter you are using for your receiver and make sure you can still browse the web on your computer. Make sense? If you are not able to surf the web while using your adapter as your only internet connection, the issue is with your setup, not your DOD setup.

2) After you turn on the wireless adapter attached to your receiver, you should give it two to three minutes to warm up before telling the receiver to try to connect to the internet. While "warming up" is outdated technologically speaking, every piece in this setup is finicky to begin with, and giving it time to connect before forcing the issue can sometimes help as well.
Message 2 of 5
Scholar

Thanks for the response. I have mostly Apple Macs on my network and 10.0.x.x is Apples typical IP address.

I tried exactly what you suggested before, but again I do not know what settings I should put into the computer that is using the Access point. If I put in the same IP address as the Access point it states the IP address is already taken.
Message 3 of 5
Teacher

Do you have the access point set in "client mode"? If so, it should be set to whatever the instructions state (Did you get the trendnet access point? If so, go for 10.0.1.101 if you haven't used it yet), and then there shouldn't be any need to adjust your computer's IP setting, if I'm understanding you correctly.
Message 4 of 5
Highlighted
Scholar

Actually it is a D-Link Wireless Range Extender that can also be setup as an Access Point. I cannot find any setting for "Client mode"?? That might be the problem!!
Message 5 of 5
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support