Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why is there not a Direct TV app on Roku?

Teacher

Why is there not a Direct TV app on Roku?

Direct TV does has a phone app that you can stream live TV with and watch records shows etc. If you are a customer. I would like to be able to have that on my Roku so I can use with my Roku stick and watch on a TV when traveling instead of on my phone. The only thing you can get on Roku is DirectTV Now which is totally separate then Direct TV. On Roku they do have separate apps like Discovery Go etc that you can stream live if you have a account with a provider such as Direct TV. What I don't understand it that if I can have the Direct TV on my phone or tablet, why can't they make it available on Roku as well????

Message 1 of 19
ACE - Expert

Re: Why is there not a Direct TV app on Roku?

You have to pay for each TV authorized on the service. Directv is service by satellite. It is not built for internet streaming to TV, only using internet for additional perks (On Demand).

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 19
Teacher

No..that was not what I am asking. I have Direct TV. With my account I can also watch live TV and stream shows on my phone and tablet with the Direct TV app for free. I can also watch shows I recorded on the DVR. My question is, why can't I also watch this with a Direct TV app on Roku so I can watch it THROUGH a TV I have my Roku plugged into?? There is no app available for this. Roku only has Direct TV Now which is totally separate from Direct TV and you have to pay separately for that.  As a Direct TV customer, Direct TV should offer and app for Roku so I can do the same thing I do with the app they have for my phone and tablet! 

Message 3 of 19
ACE - Master

due to contracts with providers directv requires a receiver to watch on a tv.

the app is for mobile viewing only.  you cannot even cast from a phone to a tv.

if you want to stream then i would suggest a streaming service such as directvnow

you can use the channel specific apps on your roku, just select directv as your provider and folw the app instructions

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 19
Contributor

I'm assuming it's a licensing issue. I too thought I would be able to use the app on my roku's. The app is available for iOS and Android, meaning if you had apple Tv or Firestick's instead of roku you would be able to use the app on those. We were just unlucky enough to have roku devices so we get the short end of the stick unfortunately. If you want to watch it on your other tv's buy a cheap firestick, that's what I am going to do.

Message 5 of 19
ACE - Master

@aarong8710 wrote:

I'm assuming it's a licensing issue. I too thought I would be able to use the app on my roku's. The app is available for iOS and Android, meaning if you had apple Tv or Firestick's instead of roku you would be able to use the app on those. We were just unlucky enough to have roku devices so we get the short end of the stick unfortunately. If you want to watch it on your other tv's buy a cheap firestick, that's what I am going to do.

wrong

there is no app for the firestick or apple tv

the directv app is for mobile devices only

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 6 of 19
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by Associated Member (Associated Member)
Accepted by rldvxi
‎11-27-2018 2:15 PM

Question was answered in my previous post. But to clarify:

Directv (satellite) is setup to charge for each TV authorized on the service.

Mobile viewing is just that, mobile only. Not for streaming to TV.

Apps for Roku and other media streaming devices do not exist. I

So the Directv app does not allow streaming to TV, as such is not made for media streaming devices (Roku, etc.). If they did customers could use it to gain a TV on their service without paying for it, or giving service to another household (such as friend or family) without them paying for their own account which is a huge violation of the terms of service and FCC regulations (taxes paid, locals provided, and regional sport team viewing markets are all based on the physical service address).

Hope this clears it up for you @aarong8710 @Duuggee

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 19
Contributor

uh...you can stream the mobile channels from any web browser and if you're on the same lan as you dvr, you can connect to that as well. so if you want to watch the "mobile" content (a nerfed version of the directv lineup) on a TV without paying for the receiver, you can do it in a web browser. I only have one receiver in my house because most of our content is Fios (directv only exists for sunday ticket! lol), so when my mother wants to watch her obscure show on Ovation (only on directv), I crack open her laptop and stream it on IE (problems with the player using FF).

TL;DR: you can stream through a standard web browser on windows systems (haven't tried other OS). It's not ideal, but it's serviceable for screens in your house that aren't connected directly to a STB.

Message 8 of 19
Voyager

Yeah, I was searching for this same topic, exactly because I know I CAN stream the service on a PC - well, at least everything but my local channels. So here's one more disappointment. 

Message 9 of 19
Teacher

You can do that with Spectrum. You need to have Spectrum internet or lose local channels.  You can also get google chrome and use tablet or phone to cast DTV. Or Spectrum. Neither DTV or Spectrum will work with Fire stick. It's really getting crazy because everything is being taken over by Ma Belle.   

Message 10 of 19
Contributor

Actually yes there is an app on Firestick, my mom has it and doesn't pay extra for it. So one could only be left to assume it must be a licensing issue.

Message 11 of 19
Tutor

@Kat0809 Wrong. I Have a roku tv and an external box that connects to my other tv and it only shows the "Directv Now" app, NOT Directv app. the directv now app is a separate streaming service. So yes, there is a directv now app for customers like me can watch on tv without having satellite installed. 

Message 12 of 19
ACE - Expert

@Kat0809 wrote:

Actually yes there is an app on Firestick, my mom has it and doesn't pay extra for it. So one could only be left to assume it must be a licensing issue.

The app on Firestick would be DIRECTVNOW and not DirecTV.

They are two separate TV providers. DirecTV is the satellite service that has been around since '94. The new service, DIRECTVNOW, launched about 2 years ago and is a streaming only service. Though both services are owned by AT&T, they have no interaction as they are separate providers.

So DirecTV's mobile app is just that. It is "mobile" to be viewed on a mobile device only, not a TV. You want to watch on a TV, you pay for that authorized TV no the service as a TV is not considered a mobile option. That is why the DirecTV is NOT on Firestick or any other device made purely for streaming to a TV.

Message 13 of 19

When you have a DIRECTV subscription, you can very well use the same to watch live TV channels on your Roku. They do have an app for the DIRECTV service in the name of DIRECTV Now. It is an app that needs to be installed on your streaming player using your streaming player account. After the installation, you can simply activate the app using your existing DIRECTV subscription credentials such as username and password. This is easy enough to complete for which you can find support online.

Message 14 of 19
ACE - Master

@mrchan7495 wrote:

When you have a DIRECTV subscription, you can very well use the same to watch live TV channels on your Roku. They do have an app for the DIRECTV service in the name of DIRECTV Now. It is an app that needs to be installed on your streaming player using your streaming player account. After the installation, you can simply activate the app using your existing DIRECTV subscription credentials such as username and password. This is easy enough to complete for which you can find support online.

directv now and directv do not use the same login, they are separate services with separate subscriptions.

that is not a directv app

Message 15 of 19
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support