Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why can't I get 1080p ?

Highlighted
Contributor

Why can't I get 1080p ?

I just bought a new Vizio M65-C1.  I have DirecTV Genie HR44.  The TV is capeable of up to 4K.

I have 1080i and 1080p selected as the only two formats on the Genie.  None of my programming comes through as 1080p; only 1080i.  Is there something I can do?

Message 1 of 22
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎11-01-2015 10:03 AM

Re: Why can't I get 1080p ?

The only 1080p content on DirecTV are a few PPV and OnDemand movies.  All other HD channels are either 720p or 1080i, the HD broadcast standards.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 22
Contributor

Thank you litzdog911 for the clarification.  I put in a blu-ray and the TV does say that it is playing in 1080p.  You have enlightened me about the format of DirecTV programming.

Message 3 of 22
Contributor

Videos are not broadcast in 1080i or 1080p, but they are broadcast in "regular", "HD" or "UHD" (there are specific video standards, but going that technical doesn't make any difference here).  They are broadcast in a resolution, and "i" vs "p" is simply based on what the screen is capable of displaying.

I have an HR44 Genie and C61K-700 Genie Mini (client).  After a power-off, when turned back on, the receiver defaults to a lower resolution, sometimes 1080i and sometimes 720p.  I believe this is a bug and what you are experiencing.

To confirm what signal my TV (a Vizio M50-c1) is receiving, I can hit the info on the Vizio remote.  It will indicate 1080i or 720p.  The resolution/image quality matches what I would expect on those resolutions.

For that "session", I navigate to the "TV Resolution" in settings, I un-check 4k (or if you don't have 4k service, 1080p), go back and re-check it, and then hit "info", and then the resolution displayed will improve and now the resolution displayed on the TV is 2160p (4k).

Can you give that a try and reply if that works for you?  I'm goign to contact DIRECTV support as re-enabling 4k every time I turn on the TV is going to get old.  I might have to hack a macro to automate the process.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 22
ACE - Expert

Try turning native off txjames.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 22
Expert

@txjames wrote:

Videos are not broadcast in 1080i or 1080p, but they are broadcast in "regular", "HD" or "UHD"

@txjames

Not quite, actually incorrect.  DIRECTV broadcast live TV on several resolutions. 480i & 480p for SD programming, and 720p and 1080i for HD prgramming. DIRECTV does not alter the resolution, DIRECTV re-broadcasts the ssme resolution send by the network. Video on Demand and some PPV movies are available on 1080p. But DIRECTV;s 1080p is not the same quality that of the Blue ray as DIRECTV's sneds 1080p/24fps and Blue Ray is 1080p/60.  While the resolution is the same, Blue Ray has twice as much frames as that of DIRECTV.

The C61K does not upscale HD programming to 4K, it will only play native 4K on 4K. IOW, if you are watching HD programming it will display natively UNLESS you have NATIVE off and a set resolution up to a maximum of 1080p

Message 6 of 22
Contributor

My Directv was bought out by ATT. I've had Directv many years after having Cox Cable many years before until channels started to black out my TV intermittantly on certain channels until all channels went black. Several Cox techs came out spliced new wires from the pole to my house and the Cox TV outside, one text brought a brand new line from the pole to the cable box on the side of our home a covered metal box. After 7 techs and my husband  upset as he was unable to watch sports at all with all screen black. One tech admitted the Cox lines are bad and it's not just due to squirrels chewing lines. He said it will almost take an act of God for Cox to replace all the lines because the cost to run them on all the poles in my neighborhood. So after many years with Cox we had to choice but to switch to Directv. It's annoying any rain drops on the satellite takes the picture out. We wait patiently it continues then once the rain storm have passed sometimes 8 hrs later the screen comes back on. But we have no other choice. Yet Cox hounds us with non stop letters to switch back. No lines have been replaced. Yet now I wonder if the Directv satellite is connected to those same old Cox lines to the pole ? Maybe switching to Cox Contour did they fix or change the lines on the pole ? Cox Contour is advertised each month. We are frustrated this morning my Vizio TV now the remote shows all Directv channels on 480p it will not stick on 1080p and I turned off the Native. But rechecked after changing my wide screen TV it stuck in 480p mode screen shrunk. To fix the screen size I had to widen it. Its viewable but not the same as 1080p. All other TVs in the home are 1080p on the Directv satellite. How to make the settings stick to 1080p with Native off and tv channel on a HDTV channel it's beyond me. The cost I pay for only TV internet is over $218 each month. No phone no internet in this price. Any suggestions?  

Message 7 of 22

I have Genie Mini's setup throughout the house.  I too can only go up to 1080i and not the 1080p that my TV is capable of displaying.  I went into the Settings screen on my Directv box, as directed by somebody from Directv and unchecked all options except 1080i and 1080p.  The box will not allow me to uncheck the 1080i.  I assumed that if I uncheck the 1080i box then it will be forced into displaying the 1080p format however I physically cannot uncheck the 1080i, it will not allow me to so now all of my broadcasts are in 1080i.  Very frustrating.

Message 8 of 22
ACE - Master

@pewtavert01 wrote:

I have Genie Mini's setup throughout the house.  I too can only go up to 1080i and not the 1080p that my TV is capable of displaying.  I went into the Settings screen on my Directv box, as directed by somebody from Directv and unchecked all options except 1080i and 1080p.  The box will not allow me to uncheck the 1080i.  I assumed that if I uncheck the 1080i box then it will be forced into displaying the 1080p format however I physically cannot uncheck the 1080i, it will not allow me to so now all of my broadcasts are in 1080i.  Very frustrating.

read above, there is no 1080p content other than some ppv

1080i and 720p are the norm

you can check 1080p and 720p as well as 1080i

but at least 1 must be checked

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 9 of 22
ACE - Expert

@pewtavert01 wrote:

DirecTV does not use a normal 1080p format, so it's likely your TV doesn't support it.  They use 1080p@24fps while the standard is 1080p@30fps or 60fps.  At any rate, it doesn't really matter.  All HD channels (except the 3 4K channels) use 1080i or 720p, which are the HDTV broadcast standards.  Only a few of their PPV movies use 1080p, and they'll look great at 1080i, too. 

Message 10 of 22

I have also found that after the Genie Mini has been powered off for several hours, it reverts back to all video display resolutions, including the lower ones resulting in me having to go back into the settings to uncheck the lower streaming quality resolutions.  If I don't do that it is not uncommon for my picture to display in 480p or 720p.  I still however cannot obtain 1080p from my box no matter what I do.  The best that I've seen displayed on the regular lineup of DirecTV channels is 1080i. Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 22
ACE - Master

read the post

you will not get 1080p, its not broadcast that way

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 12 of 22

That's not what DirecTV representatives told me.  They insisted that I should definitely be able to receive 1080p from regular programming.  I was on the phone with a technical expert however I wasn't in front of my TV to follow his instructions to format the Genie.  When I have time I will call them back.

Message 13 of 22
ACE - Master

well you can try all you want, its not going to happen.  they only broadcast in 1080i and 720p for hd

you may get a ppv in 1080p, but not all of them

Message 14 of 22

That's a shame.  It's not like 1080p is such a high tech resolution, is it?  For heavens sake I purchased an Insignia 40" 1080p HDTV for $139.95.  For a company like DirecTV to be unable to broadcast to the levels capable of such an inexpensive TV is a joke, especially with what I pay monthly for service.  Are all of the cable companies/satellite providers in the same boat as far as signal format ability?  Good thing I didn't splurge on a 4K UHD TV huh? 

Message 15 of 22
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support