Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Why are we losing so many great channels?

Why are we losing so many great channels?

Why can't we keep A&E, HISTORY, LIFETIME and more?  

Message 1 of 238
ACE - Master

Re: If A

It always amuses me when people go to AT&T's competition, then come back here and say "So-and-so only costs X" as if they've just discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls. It's no secret that other services are cheaper than AT&T. The real question is "Are they BETTER than AT&T." If they are, switch and move on, but there's a reason people stay with AT&T and it's not that AT&T has low prices or that customers don't know what other services cost.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 196 of 238
ACE - Expert

All TV providers go through negotiations/contract disputes with channels. Switching providers doesn't protect people on this. Don't know why they think a different provider can magically keep a channel forever.

I don't consider DirecTV a "cheap" service. I do feel it more closely matches value to cost. So I'm getting out of it what I pay. Those that jump around all the time seem to me more about the "ooh shiny" mentality or keep trying to have something they really cannot afford.

Channel negotiations and availability are the norm as well before AT&T came into the picture. Where I do see improvement is the rough road that has been their system migrations and the lack of knowledge from some agents that I can only assume are either from the AT&T side or got employed after the acquisition so are still learning all the ins and outs of the service. Those two concerns should improve over time. My main worry is locking down customer options with the Genie-2 (HS17) being a Client only system. The concept of a restrictive system that over-favors company security over customer flexibility is why I avoid the iPhone. A Client only system for me has too many parallels to that concept.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 197 of 238
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I see multi channels I watch, including the NFL channel that are gone or going awhile

As we continue to manage content costs, we could not reach an agreement with the NFL to continue to carry NFL Network and Red Zone on U-verse and DIRECTV NOW. However, both channels remain available to all fans on DIRECTV. And good news, both Lifetime and A&E are still available to you. Enjoy!

• DirectTV is  an antiquated armpit of a TV provider with their clunky dishes weather outages high prices and non existent customer service. If they were the only service provider in the world I would just stop watching TV.
Message 198 of 238
Mentor

Directv at&t lost a half a million subscribers last year. Looks like everyone isn't sticking with at&t .. probably discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls with another provider.

Message 199 of 238
ACE - Master

@KWASMO wrote:

Directv at&t lost a half a million subscribers last year. Looks like everyone isn't sticking with at&t .. probably discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls with another provider.

most lost subs are going streaming.

for many of us thats not an option.

me? i can do directv or dish, i have had dish.

sooner or later, more sooner, streaming will catch up to satellite, cable, ect in price

as more people switch, and stations see that, they will simply up the price

or create thier own service and only offer thier content there

(disney, cbs, ect ect)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 200 of 238
ACE - Master

@KWASMO wrote:

Directv at&t lost a half a million subscribers last year. Looks like everyone isn't sticking with at&t .. probably discovered the Dead Sea Scrolls with another provider.

Every cable provider is losing subscribers, regardless of Dead Sea Scrolls (aka. price). Cable-cutting is a real phenomenon and growing as new streaming services grow, get better, and more competitive. As I said earlier, I believe cable will eventually die and we'll all pay just as much or more for a combination of streaming services.

The solution is not lower prices. There are people in this forum complaining that they'll leave AT&T/DirecTV because of high prices, and just as many people complaining they'll leave AT&T/DirecTV because it's cutting channels to save on costs.

**Disclaimer: I don't work for AT&T, have never worked for AT&T, and have never been compensated by them in any way, shape, or form**
Message 201 of 238
ACE - Master

heres a little article

there is a link to a report in it

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/pay-tv-takes-worst-ever-cord-cutting-hit-in-q1-2019?utm_source=Sel...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 202 of 238
ACE - Master

@bruce0712  wrote:

Huge difference between beinsports and A&E, A&E programming is outstanding. Lose it, lose customers.

Not really. A&E might have great content that customers would be upset about losing, but it still needs cable TV to survive until it gets its own streaming service going. If DirecTV, Comcast, and Verizon all refused to accept A&E's rates, A&E would either need to agree to lower its rates or shut down altogether.

Message 203 of 238
ACE - Master

Re: Not able to get through to not have channels removed

att does not know when/iff a&e will turn off the feed

Message 204 of 238
ACE - Expert

DTV/AT&T have no control over what a channel does with its programing, they can only pick what channel packages that the content providers put together just like you pick the channel package DTV provides.

Message 205 of 238
ACE - Master

@Anonymous wrote:
DirectTV is  an antiquated armpit of a TV provider
I love that phrase, "antiquated armpit."

with their clunky dishes 
But DirecTV didn't invent satellite dishes.

weather outages 
DirecTV also doesn't control the weather, and how it affects the connection to satellites in deep space.

high prices
This, DirecTV can own.

and non existent customer service
Considering DirecTV pays hundreds of people to manage customer service, I'm sure it would be just as upset if they were non-existent.

If they were the only service provider in the world I would just stop watching TV.
You'd probably be better off. There's some great books out there.
Message 206 of 238
Teacher

I'd love to cut the cord. However, I use my DVR to avoid the ads. Online is painful as they force you to watch ads, at least most of them.

Message 207 of 238
Contributor

Re: ARE WE LOSING A&E & LIFETIME?

We are loosing channels because AT&T does not care

about us as customers They would rather customers leave than take care of them. I'm a 20 plus year customer and they keep dropping my programs but!!! Am I paying less for less? NO!  They have become a complete rip off in my opinion.

Message 208 of 238
ACE - Expert

So you want DTV to cave in and pay the channels more for their programs and then pass it on to you?  All providers go through contract disputes.

Message 209 of 238
Mentor

They raise the rates all the time anyway so might as well get some channels out of it. 

Message 210 of 238
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support