Explore & discover

Helpful Links

When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

Contributor

When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

We have had a message on our local Fox station saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  Will this dispute be settled soon?  I don't care about the regular programming (other than Last Man Standing - but I can watch this on Hulu).  But football season is coming up and our Seahawks are broadcast on Fox.  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV?

Message 1 of 28
ACE - Expert

Re: When will we get the Fox station back on DirecTV?

Whenever Fox signs a new contract or returns the feed while they continue to talk.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 28
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-10-2019 9:37 PM

@Shadowsmom2 wrote:

We have had a message on our local Fox station saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  Will this dispute be settled soon?  I don't care about the regular programming (other than Last Man Standing - but I can watch this on Hulu).  But football season is coming up and our Seahawks are broadcast on Fox.  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV?

No you do not need to cancel DirecTV as that doesn't solve the problem. All TV providers go through negotiations. Some channels pull their feed when the current agreement comes up to try and leverage customers against the TV provider to raise costs. This has become more common for local affiliates. Why should TV providers, and in turn us customers by way of higher bills, pay more and more for channels that are free over-the-air?

Use a regular antenna to get the free broadcast in the meantime, and possibly other locals DirecTV does not have (like many sub-channels). Though nobody knows when the dispute will be settled, as we cannot predict the future on how long it will take, you can check the current status: https://tvpromise.att.com/

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 28
ACE - Master

stations are greedy.

they want more money to allow directv to carry them.

this in turns raises your price

you can change providers, but there is a good chance it will happen with any provider you go to, eventually

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 4 of 28
Contributor

Thank you for your response.  Actually, I already knew about the negotiations and the stand-off; we went through this with Fox a couple of years ago.  I understand that Direct wants to keep prices down.  I guess the answer will have to come from Fox.  My opinion - Fox is shooting itself in the foot by blocking out the programming, what with services like Hulu to show their programming, just a little bit later than the original broadcast!
Message 5 of 28
ACE - Master

it happened to me once

i emailed the station asking if they would reimburse thier advertisers for loss of viewers

they didnt like that

stations need to stop depending on the income from carriage deals.

they should feel lucky to be carried and increase the possible number of viewers

heck, maybe directv should charge them for the satellite bandwidth the station uses

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 6 of 28
Contributor

I  have had a message on our local Fox station for MONTHS now saying it is unavailable at this time (and it's been there for many weeks).  Our local news has reported that Fox and DirecTV are in a dispute.  How many months is this going to drag on?  Will this dispute be settled soon?  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV and go with Dish?

Message 7 of 28
ACE - Master

you can try, but its well known dish has more disputes than any other provider.

call the station, tell them to stop being greedy

locals need to be a line item so people see the cost

with the ability to opt out

Message 8 of 28
ACE - Expert

@bud730 wrote:

...  Do we need to cancel with DirecTV and go with Dish?

Sure. And what will you do when the same thing happens to Dish Network?

Message 9 of 28
Contributor

Rates have already gone up since AT&T took over Direct, then have the nerve to take Fox off. Thanks A lot, now we have to find another provider.

Message 10 of 28
ACE - Master

what will you do when that provider loses a station?

its common place for stations to stop thier feed when they want more money

\happened last year almost 200 times

and will keep happening until customers back thier providers like directv, comcast, ect ect

Message 11 of 28
ACE - Expert

@Bandkjacobs wrote:

Rates have already gone up since AT&T took over Direct, then have the nerve to take Fox off. Thanks A lot, now we have to find another provider.

Your local affiliate of FOX took themselves off. Only they may do so as they own the broadcast rights. Standard negotiating tactic to try and leverage customers against the TV provider (in this case DirecTV) to raise costs. You will not find a provider immune to negotiations as they don't own the channels, which is why all of their terms have it that channels/programming may change at any time.

However we don't go to a pay TV provider for our free locals. Use a regular antenna. Even call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 as they have been offering their new Local Channel Connector (LCC) to customers in areas affected by a rate dispute.

Message 12 of 28
Contributor

Raised the price anyway I lost my local channels and then DTV raises my package anyway 

exactly what they said they were trying to prevent I've been with DTV for 16 years since ATT 

got involved they went to crap 

"censorship ya gotta love it" ,   

Message 13 of 28
ACE - Expert

@bwager wrote:

Raised the price anyway I lost my local channels and then DTV raises my package anyway 

exactly what they said they were trying to prevent I've been with DTV for 16 years since ATT 

got involved they went to crap 

"censorship ya gotta love it" ,   

DirecTV negotiations to minimize any future rate increases. Channel going off does not affect any rate adjustment that was already scheduled. The rates that adjusted this year (by up to about $10 at most) were from prior negotiations. It is not just one channel after all. Even if DirecTV manages to completely avoid a rate increase with one channel, doesn't mean another will not succeed in their negotiation.

Channel wants higher costs, TV provider (and us customers by association) want lower cost, so they negotiate. Has nothing to do with censorship.

https://tvpromise.att.com/

Message 14 of 28
Tutor

News is that Directv(AT&T) are trying to buy DISH which will make them one happy family. DISH currently has dispute with HBO so you can't get it with DISH. If these two satillite companies combine,

A. there will be alot of channels missing

Or

B. Channels (local affiliates) will need to play ball with them.

C. Consumers ate screwed either way.

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support