Explore & discover

Helpful Links

When will Directv offer METV in San Antonio?

Contributor

When will Directv offer METV in San Antonio?

I live in San Antonio, TX where METV is offered as part of basic service on Spectrum Cable, GVTC Cable, and DISH Network Satellite.  When will Directv overcome their barriers and begin carrying METV similar to their competitors such as Dish Network?

Message 1 of 6
ACE - Expert

Re: When will Directv offer METV in San Antonio?

When METV is a true national network instead of being carried as a sub-channel of local affiliates Directv might pick it up. However they cannot force METV to give them permission to do so. They have to come to an agreement including how much to add to the bill to carry it.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6
Contributor

Thanks for the reply. Why is it that Dish Network is able to carry METV?  How is their satellite service different from Directv?

Message 3 of 6
ACE - Expert

One TV provider getting an agreement with a network does not guarantee that another TV provider will get an agreement. There is not one agreement to cover everybody. That is why in general one TV provider may get a channel but another provider does not.

Specifically right now, Directv has not been picking up sub-channels. This is most likely in part due to the fact that Directv is going to start turning off their old MPEG-2 (SD only) feeds in April 2019. As such some channels will probably have to be moved over to their MPEG-4 (HD capable) satellites, while some might be discontinued (perhaps temporarily) depending on how much bandwidth the current satellites can handle. In addition they have been working on providing 4K content (of which there is limited). So I would doubt Directv will pick up new sub-channels until this transition is finished at the very least.

Since locals and their sub-channels are free via their over-the-air (OTA) broadcast, so no TV provider at all required, it understandably would be a low priority for Directv during their transition right now. After all, most of us don't go to a pay TV provider for our free locals.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 6
Contributor

This is a great and detailed reply. At the end of the day, it is about providing a service based on consumer demand. It appears there is demand for METV and Directv competitors, such as Dish Network, are meeting that demand. While I understand the explanation, it is unfortunate. Fortunately as a consumer, I now have a better understanding of my Directv provider alternatives. Thanks again for taking the time to clarify.
Message 5 of 6
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by ok4nowbyme
‎07-09-2018 7:08 PM

Eliminating outdated broadcast feeds and supporting already released new services will take priority at least for the short term. I am curious to see what happens with channels next year as the dust settles from the end of MPEG-2. And as always the other side is how much METV wants to be paid for Directv to pick it up, as both of them have to come to an agreement (so the decision cannot rest solely on one or the other).

I cannot say one way or another if they will end up getting an agreement with METV. As long as it doesn't contribute to raising the bill I would be ok with Directv getting the channel, but otherwise I am fine with the available channels. For locals I say use a OTA antenna on your TV to get whatever free that is within range, which might include additional locals from a neighboring market that neither Driectv or Dish could legally provide you through their service (per FCC regulations about viewing markets for locals).

Tags (1)
Message 6 of 6
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support