Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Stutter and audio cuts out in DIRECTV 4K UHD

Tutor

Stutter and audio cuts out in DIRECTV 4K UHD

Have a new Samsung 4k UHD HU8550 and Genie 44 with RVU. The picture stutters and audio cuts in and out. Lots of pixeling. The remote is very slow changing channels. DTV has had 5 different techs work on the system, at my house,  and finally said its the TV. Samsung tech changed the circuit board. NO change Samsung tech said if it happens again use your DVD and Apple TV to rule out the problem being the TV. Both worked great. Went back and used DTV and the problem is still there. Also, if I watch at "list" show none of the other TVs will work on list. Anyone have a fix?

Message 1 of 51
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by Anonymous
Accepted by Anonymous
‎03-25-2015 3:47 PM

Re: Stutter and audio cuts out in DIRECTV 4K UHD

So if all other apps are working it could be a few different things.

1. RVU in the TV - RVU processes a lot of information and slowness is a common occurrence due to the the amount of information it processes in such a short amount of time.

2. DECA thats connected behind the TV. - This device convert the information from being coax compatible to Ethernet cable compatible and vice verse.

3. Coax cabling - If you do not have solid copper cabling the information is degraded due to the steel core of the coax cable.

It is very difficult to test the first option but you can test the second two.

The best way to test is to disconnect the Ethernet currently in the TV and run an Ethernet cable from the TV straight into your router. If you still get the audio distortion the problem may be the RVU hardware.

If it does not have the audio drop out issue then your first step would be to replace the DECA  and see if that corrects the issue.

Please be advised that a full reset of all component will be needed if you do this.

If this still does not resolve the issue the best option is to schedule a service call to a tech to the house to look at the coax cable that runs from the SWIM splitter to the outlet in that room.

Tags (1)
Message 2 of 51
ACE - Professor

If changing the rg6 doesn't fix it - I would suggest you have a h25 installed or a mini and have the rvu disabled -RVU is $6.50 a month the same as any receiver, mini. or HDDVR all of which should solve your issue.

The only thing losing the RUV would do is not being able to pay $16.00 for 4K PPV

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 51

This is actually a known issue with DIRECTV

This issue can be resolved by updating the TV Firmware to release 1081.1

Message 4 of 51
Tutor

I was excited when I saw your post.  I forced the update on my TV, and it completed!  Channel 6, whcih usually doesnt do it, stuttered about 15 minutes ago.  I can say though that 3 and 10 didnt, which was usualy the worst ones, especially between 3 and 5 PM for some reason.

Message 5 of 51
ACE - Expert

What channels have this issue?  Just your locals?  All channels?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 51
Tutor

I never quite thought about it, but I believe it is only the local channels.  Mostly 3 and 10 (CBS and NBC)  On occasion 6 (ABC), but not that often.  Its funny that certain times of the day are worse.  The wife watches Dr. Phil and it goes crazy.  During the superbowl I had to hook up a box cause it was every few seconds.

Kevin

Message 7 of 51
ACE - Expert

This might actually be an issue with those channels' satellite signal and not your equipment.   Where are you located?   Do you have any friends/neighbors with DirecTV?   Do they have this issue?

Just for grins ....

Please post back with your signal readings for each satellite's transponders (and both tuners if applicable).  You'll find these readings under "Menu" -> "Setup" -> "System Setup" -> Satellite -> "View Signal Strength".  Note the "+" and "-" symbols next to the "Satellite" and "Tuner" entries where you can toggle the readings between the various satellites and both DVR tuners.

Fill in your readings for each satellite and tuner using these examples.  A properly aligned dish will show 80-90s on most of the relevant transponders (although some will be low or zero):

Satellite transponders (32 total at 101º)

[Most of your standard definition channels are beamed from 101ºW]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

17-24  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (3 total at 110º)

[Not present with Slimline3 dish. No channels are currently beamed from this satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x

9-16   NA  x   NA  x   NA  NA  NA  NA

Satellite transponders (11 total at 119º)

[Not present with Slimline 3 dish. Local SD channels for some cities, Spanish package]

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x   x

25-32  x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (16 total at 99º(s)) [or 99º(b)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note: these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (14 total at 99º(c)) [or 99º(a)]

[National HD channels]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(s)) [or 103º(a)]

[Local HD channels for some cities]

1-8    x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

9-16   NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  x   x

[Note, these can be very slow to appear]

Satellite transponders (16 total at 103º(ca))

[National HD channels beamed from D12 satellite]

1-8    NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   x   x

Satellite transponders (14 total at 103º(cb)) [or 103º(b)]

[National HD channels beamed from D10 satellite]

9-16   x   x   x   x   x   x   NA  NA

17-24  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA  NA

Message 8 of 51
Tutor

I am located in the Philadelphia market, but I only have the issue on my RVU TV, I have had DTV for over 2 years now and have it on 4 other TV's using Genie client boxes, never had an issue.

Message 9 of 51

With your remote press menu then go to settings and help >settings>info and test> run system test in bottom right corner. It will then provide you some diagnostic codes. If something is wrong with the dish it will give you an aligment code of either 41, 42 or 43. You would then need a service call as the alignment could be an issue for your local satellite

Message 10 of 51
Tutor

I am running the test, but none of my other tvs that are on the same genie have a. Issue, only the Samsung rvu. I don't see how that could be a dish problem. The tuner is in the main genie box, it would propagate through all the tvs.

Only issue it shows is unable to detect phone, which makes sense since I don't have one.

Thanks for the continual ideas. One day I hope for it to work.

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 11 of 51
Expert

How is your RVU TV and your HR44 connected to the network?

Message 12 of 51
Tutor

I have had it 2 ways. When I first got my tv, I used the cable that was feeding my genie and a deca converter. The cable is a home run, and rg6. I then hung the tv on the wall and ran cat5e to a managed gigabit switch that only has the genie and the tv. Both ways I had the exact same problem. The genie main box is still connected through a deca box to the switch.

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 13 of 51
ACE - Professor

You can wait or you could disable the RVU & replace it with a Mini or Hd receiver a HDDVR any of those would clear the Issue and the month charge would still be $6.50 -the only difference would be your issue would be resolved.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
Message 14 of 51
Tutor

Issue would be signing a contract to get another piece of hardware. Never understood that with dtv. One of the main reasons I bought a Samsung tv was so I didn't have to sign a contract to get another outlet. Add that to the fact there is no spot on my wall to put a box, and I have 2 good reasons in my mind.

Thanks,

Kevin

Message 15 of 51
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support