Explore & discover

Helpful Links

So here is the cheapest wireless way to get connected:

Teacher

So here is the cheapest wireless way to get connected:

After much trial and error, 3 incorrect purchases and all other kinds of problems, here is the tried and true method that has worked twice for me, and once for a neighbor :-)

SO, for those of you with wireless networks already in your house/business, but the receiver is too far away from the router for you to run an ethernet cable directly to the receiver from the router, this access point allows you to use it as an access point CLIENT - meaning that you do not need a gaming adapter or anything else other than a preexisting wireless network and this access point:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000799LPE/poolgap-20?dev-t=D3E49ECS9E0KO%26camp=2025%26link_code=xm2
At $45.24 it's a lot cheaper than the other options, and plenty speedy thus far!

The setup instructions are as follows (The instructions included are ok - but I can make it a little easier...)

1) Take out the Trendnet Access Point, plug it into your current router through one of the open ethernet ports. Then, plug in the Trendnet Access Point (Hereinafter T.A.P.) to the wall for power.
2) WAIT WAIT WAIT. Wait at least 2 minutes for the T.A.P. to get warmed up - you will see both lights on the front light up when it is registered with your current network.
3) Then, open a browser in one of your computers that are connected to your network, and type in http://192.168.1.100 into the browser address bar. IF YOU HAVE VONAGE OR OTHER VOIP SOLUTION, IT MAY SHARE THE SAME IP. You will need to unplug your VOIP to setup the T.A.P., then you plug it back in after we are done with everything else.
4) Login to the T.A.P. using the default username/password "admin/admin".
5) ONLY IF YOU HAD THE VOIP ISSUE I NOTED ABOVE::: Then you need to click the "IP" menu on the left, and change the IP address of the T.A.P. to 192.168.1.101, then click "apply". After doing so, restart your router by unplugging it from wall and router, then restarting the process as described above, logging into 192.168.1.101 this time. Moving on...
6) Change the setting under "basic settings" to "Access Point Client" in the same browser window from above. Find the SSID that is your wireless network, and make sure you setup any sort of WEP/WAP security you use on your network already.
7) After doing so, click "apply" and watch your network go crazy. It will continue to do so for about 3 minutes, at which point nothing on your network will work until you unplug the ethernet cable from your T.A.P. Your T.A.P. is now an ethernet wireless adapter that will allow you to connect your receiver via its ethernet port to your preexisting wireless network.
8) Unplug everything, take it to the DirecTv receiver, and plug in the ethernet cable first. Then, plug in the power. Give it 2 minutes to warm up, and then click "Menu" on your remote control to your receiver. Choose "on demand" and you're good to go! I'm getting decent speeds, and have been able to download some decent stuff - although I look forward to the selection improving as this moves out of beta!

If you run into any problems, you can reply here and I'll try to help you out - folks here have helped me out before and I'd like to pay-it-forward somehow Smiley Happy

cfo
Message 1 of 12
Tutor

Re: So here is the cheapest wireless way to get connected:

Another idea would be to buy an ethernet cable long enough to plug into your router. I just got a 75 foot cable that I will snake through the basement for $18 (includes shipping)

Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 12
Scholar

I have D-Link wireless extender / access point. I do not need the extender, so can I use it to connect to my DTV DVR?
Message 3 of 12
Mentor

Yup, ethernet is cheapest and best. And I found switches on www.edealinfo.com for $4.99 after rebates. On my network now, not including wireless stuff, I have my HR20, a Yamaha Musicast server, 1 Musicast client, 2 desktop pc's, 1 printer and Playstation 3. Wirelessly I have Nintendo Wii and 2 laptops. Cable, of any type, here specifically Cat5, is so cheap on www.monoprice.com, you won't believe it.
Message 4 of 12
Teacher

Not to be coy, but any fool can do ethernet Smiley Wink
I doubt we'll have too many people here with ethernet trouble, but rather powerline/wireless issues/help needed. The switches you mention are only for those that can run ethernet to their receivers already, otherwise you'd still need a wireless access point or bridge of some sort.
Message 5 of 12
Contributor

Just wanted to thank you for the excellent suggestion and instructions. I ordered the Trendnet access point on Wed, got it today and after following your instructions to the letter was up and running in less than 15 minutes. Note that when I hit "apply" while in the access point set-up the browser was stuck on "loading." I removed the access point from my router and had to reboot my computers but after that everything in the network is back to normal. A bonus is that I can eliminate the bulky, power wasting wireless phone connection from my DVR for connecting to DirecTV.

Thanks!
Message 6 of 12
Teacher

Glad to hear it worked Smiley Happy

I've managed to do pretty much the whole neighborhood now using this method (Word spreads ;-) ), but so far the selection is still so limited... Well, glad to hear the connection method worked for you!

-cfo
Message 7 of 12
Scholar

I ordered the Trendnet Access Point as you recommended. I am still waiting for its arrival. But before I get it, its standard default IP address will not work on my network as my network IP addresses are all 10.0.x.x. I have mostly an Apple Mac network and Apples uses that default IP addresses for their computers. I would prefer not to change everything over to 192.168.x.x if I can as it would be lots of work. 4 computers, 1 printer and 2 routers would all have to change. I know I will have to use my one computer to talk to the Trendnet Access Point to set a different IP. So my question is if I were to set the Trendnet Access Point IP address to 10.0.0.15, what do I set for settings from the remote of my HR20? My subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and my DSL router is 10.0.0.3.
Message 8 of 12
Teacher

I'll be able to tell you for sure by tomorrow (Setting up a Mac network tomorrow morning with the WAPC), but do not go changing your receiver's settings until you get the Access Point working as described above (Make sure it works as a ethernet adapter for a computer before trying it on the receiver) - thus far it has been correct even with other default router IP's, although I have not tried it on a Mac network yet.
Message 9 of 12
Scholar

When I get the Trendnet Access Point I will hook it up to my portable and see if I can get it to work as a wireless adapter. Let me know how it goes with the Mac system tomorrow.
Message 10 of 12
Scholar

When I get the Trendnet Access Point I will hook it up to my portable and see if I can get it to work as a wireless adapter. Let me know how it goes with the Mac system tomorrow.
Message 11 of 12
Teacher

Mac system was the same as the others - the trendnet software came with instructions on setting up for a Mac, and I just followed them step by step (The same as PC, with a difference based on IP only if using a Mac router - if you're router is still set on defaults, you're connecting to the router, not the Mac.).
Message 12 of 12
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support